jay bennett's music

GET OUT. This is VC, not VJ. When you registered here, whether you realized it or not, you were signing an oath that you'd destroy Jay Bennett like an unwanted pet if you so much as bumped into him in the street.

You can't like Wilco and Jay Bennett. That'd be like being a Jew and worshipping Hitler.

I know you're being silly, but really I think there are a lot of people here, most maybe, who root for Jay, but find a lot of his solo stuff to be kind of disappointing.

Jay great song writer terrible producer.

I think you actually have it backwards or are somewhat off, but sort of right too. I think he is a great producer for other people -- Let's face it, he was the producer for Wilco for all of those years Wilco produced their own records.

He is just an ok songwriter. With some outside help his songs would be decent but probably not earth shattering.

To bring Tweedy into the mix just for fun... Great songwriter, not a great self-producer and is an unknown when it comes to producing others' music until this point. That's why Jeff has always needed to surround himself with great all-around multi-instrumentalist musician types. Jeff has his own sound, as Jay, but both need someone to help them when recording their own music.

Ok. I know I'm not making myself clear. Here's a table:

[b]Artist:				  Songwriter?				   Self-Producer?		   Produces Others?[/b]
Jay Bennett		  So-so							Bad						   Very good
Jeff Tweedy		  Great							Bad							???

Jay great song writer terrible producer.

I think you actually have it backwards or are somewhat off, but sort of right too. I think he is a great producer for other people -- Let's face it, he was the producer for Wilco for all of those years Wilco produced their own records.

He is just an ok songwriter. With some outside help his songs would be decent but probably not earth shattering.

To bring Tweedy into the mix just for fun... Great songwriter, not a great self-producer and is an unknown when it comes to producing others' music until this point. That's why Jeff has always needed to surround himself with great all-around multi-instrumentalist musician types. Jeff has his own sound, as Jay, but both need someone to help them when recording their own music.

Ok. I know I'm not making myself clear. Here's a table:

[b]Artist:				  Songwriter?				   Self-Producer?		   Produces Others?[/b]
Jay Bennett		  So-so							Bad						   Very good
Jeff Tweedy		  Great							Bad							???

my impression was that he helped wilco's evolution on Being There just by being good at the guitar and keys, then he screwed up Summerteeth, and then he was going for a repeat on YHF but some weird dude named Jim fixed it.

Jay is a talented guy, but he has a phony presence in his music that i find irritating. his absence freed up Jeff to create the best music of his career, or at least that's how i hear it.

and has Jeff even tried producing?

I think the "new" Wilco songs proves your theory wrong.

He's no Jeff Lynne

Ahhhh.... my favorite travelling wilbury

i still maintain that Jay's version of cars can't escape is awesome

Can ne1 YSI this?

I think the "new" Wilco songs proves your theory wrong.

yes, the songs that have been played a few times live and have yet to be seen or heard on a studio release surely show that jeff is nothing without jay. And AGIB and the Loose Fur records never happened.

yes, the songs that have been played a few times live and have yet to be seen or heard on a studio release surely show that jeff is nothing without jay. And AGIB and the Loose Fur records never happened.

I didn't say that at all, but whatever. The new songs don't sound that great to me, but if you think they're "the best music Jeff has made", good for you. You said Jay leaving freed up Jeff to create the some of the best music of his career. I'm saying that if those new songs are any indication, that's not true. Loose Fur's last record was fabulous... then again, Jim O'Rourke is in the band. I wish the new Wilco songs were as good as those.

"Bigger Than Blue" kicks ass! There are so many great moments. He can play guitar and he has a way to put chord changes together that, imo, is still so very Wilco.......

Sometimes, when I want that intimate sound that I don't get from AGIB or when Ive been playing too much solo Tweedy, "BTB" is a perfect listen.

I would like to encourage you to BUY IT!.....Plus, I bet Jay needs the cash!

I think Bennett was pivotal in the early years of Wilco. I think I'd consider Summerteeth to be Bennett's masterpiece, rather than Tweedy's. However, without O'Rourke and Glenn being added into the mix, and based on what I've read in Greg Kot's book, Wilco would've probably spent far too long in trying to make Summerteeth II instead of maturing onto new things. There are valuable parts of the music that went away with Bennett, but I think they've gained many more things as well. Plus, between Hummingbird, Just A Kid, Theologians, Late Greats, and Thanks I Get, infectious pop melodies certainly aren't going anywhere.

Edited by You Can Be The Stone

I just put on dvd my brother-in-law gave me: German Hotel Kamera, and am watching 7/9/99, Rockpalast, Loreley, Germany, and am absolutely certain the current line-up rolls over Jay and company. I think by YHF Jay had given all he could and though integral to Wilco evolution, there's no comparison between line-ups now.

My three cents.

:cheers

I just put on dvd my brother-in-law gave me: German Hotel Kamera, and am watching 7/9/99, Rockpalast, Loreley, Germany, and am absolutely certain the current line-up rolls over Jay and company. I think by YHF Jay had given all he could and though integral to Wilco evolution, there's no comparison between line-ups now.

My three cents.

ah, but what would Being there be without Jay :shifty

To be honest, I think it was the alcohol and cotton balls that made that album.

Still watching this show in Germany, and the small crowd is just sitting there.....Wow, Jay really can't sing a good back-up vocal, can he? Too many cigarettes, I think.

:D

My three cents.

are you serious? the version of "Christ For President" from that show is the best I've ever heard... absolutely scorching. Listen to Leroy Bach's Hammond organ on "California Stars", "I Got You", etc. I agree that some aspects are done better by the current line up... but they're nowhere near as good as rocking the hell out of those songs.

are you serious? the version of "Christ For President" from that show is the best I've ever heard... absolutely scorching. Listen to Leroy Bach's Hammond organ on "California Stars", "I Got You", etc. I agree that some aspects are done better by the current line up... but they're nowhere near as good as rocking the hell out of those songs.

You're right, they are pretty rockin here--but why does Jay keep bending over? And I'm surprised at how much he plays the keyboards. But there's a certain flatness to these shows that never allow band to take songs to new heights, like current line-up is able to do. Definitely a different era but like the other Jay this one only goes so far, and while I love, absolutely love the middle Wilco with Jay, Nels and new line-up can bring the house down!

:dancing