jay bennett's music

Bigger than Blue is Jay's best solo release. It has some great songs and some that just suck. Is stuff with Burch is fablous and you can't go wrong with the two Palace records.

Do not bother with anything else becsue it just is not good.

I have always felt that Jay Bennett's music suffers from the fact that there is no one to tell him no.

On Bigger then Blue some needed to say, "hey Jay 500 tracks of different weird looping changes, and 30 different guitar parts do not show your genius. Hold back a bit."

A perfect example of this is Jay's version of Cars Can't Escape.

Jay great song writer terrible producer.

Jay great song writer terrible producer.

You hit the nail on the head. I downloaded some demos he had up on his site (Fireworks, Junior, Whispers or Screams), and I thought they were fantastic. Then he Bennett-ed up the demos for the actual album. Oh well.

I really wanted to like Jay's stuff and kept buying his records, but everything except Palace just bores me. It's not bad in a way that makes me want to throw things at the stereo, but it just doesn't do anything for me.

I would recommend checking out Palace, though. It's hit and miss, but there's some good stuff on there (like "Venus..." or "Forgiven").

I really wanted to like Jay's stuff and kept buying his records, but everything except Palace just bores me. It's not bad in a way that makes me want to throw things at the stereo, but it just doesn't do anything for me.

Same here. I keep rooting for him, but interest is fading fast.

He's no Jeff Lynne

Thank God for that!

His duet shows w/ Jeff are essential,imo

Scott

i also agree that some of his stuff isn't as good as others. Bigger Than Blue is his best so far... the first half is great (including great songs like Charming and Plastic, Cajun Angel, Curiosity, Let's Count Our Losses, It's Hard). Its when he gets too carried away, like the second half of Blue, that its not very good. Beloved Enemy also has great songs, but again a few songs suffer from noisy experimentation.

I've always liked Jay and his musis. There was so much "fuck Jay" shit thrown around here after he was kicked out and before YHF was released that I kinda had to get behind the underdog. I think Bigger than Blue was a great album even though there are moments of crap (Cars Can't Escape). He's had a rough go at it since his dismissal from Wilco. I hope things are looking up for him now.

almost bought an album the other day. what do you think?

GET OUT. This is VC, not VJ. When you registered here, whether you realized it or not, you were signing an oath that you'd destroy Jay Bennett like an unwanted pet if you so much as bumped into him in the street.

You can't like Wilco and Jay Bennett. That'd be like being a Jew and worshipping Hitler.