Only the memories remain:

THE MUSICAL legacy of the Grateful Dead - some 13,000 live audio and video recordings spanning the band's 30-year concert career - left Marin County in a temperature-controlled truck and is now being stored in a huge Warner Brothers Music vault in Southern California.

The transfer of the priceless "vault" recordings - from a Novato warehouse to a Fort Knox-like facility in Burbank - is a physical manifestation of a milestone deal that effectively dissolves Marin-based Grateful Dead Productions and turns over the Hall of Fame band's business operations to Rhino Entertainment, a subsidiary of giant Warner Music Group.

"It's sad to see it go," Grateful Dead tape archivist David Lemieux said of the vault collection. "But it couldn't be in better hands."

A 10-year licensing deal entrusts Rhino with the management of all of the band's intellectual property, including its vast archive of unreleased live concert recordings, its official Web site (deadnet), the marketing and merchandising of T-shirts and other clothing and gear with the Grateful Dead brand, logo and likeness, plus videos, CDs and the all-important digital domain - sales of the band's music via download over the Internet.

This is a leasing arrangement in which the band retains creative control. It does not include the group's music publishing arm, Ice Nine.

The Wall Street Journal noted Thursday that the Grateful Dead is leading the way in this major new trend in the music business - having all of these various rights and marketing functions handled by the same company, essentially under the same roof.

"The deal with the Grateful Dead, perhaps the highest-profile group to reach such an arrangement, highlights this change," the paper said.

"Because we're all in the same house, it allows us to do things very synergistically under the band's direction," said 39-year-old Jimmy Edwards, Rhino's vice president of marketing. "That way we can explore every worthwhile opportunity. It's unlimited. Music labels can't be in the business of just selling CDs anymore."

There has already been talk of such future projects as a Grateful Dead musical production like the new Beatles show in Las Vegas by Cirque du Soleil.

In Rhino, which had already been involved in re-issues of Grateful Dead albums, the band seems to have found kindred young business executives sensitive to the Dead's image and legacy.

Edwards saw the Grateful Dead in concert more than once and considers the band "an American treasure."

"We won't do a black velvet Grateful Dead painting," he promised with a laugh.

"And we won't do dancing bears on Happy Meals," joked Rhino Executive Vice President Gregg Goldman.

"These guys were the guys who were dancing at our concerts," said Grateful Dead drummer Mickey Hart. "They were our fans. Now they run the company. They really care."

Bassist Phil Lesh, who opposed a previous deal involving intellectual property with another company, has apparently signed off on the Rhino arrangement. He was in transit Thursday and not immediately available for comment.

While the deal is liberating for the band, it continues to shrink the Grateful Dead's presence in Marin County, which has been on the decline since the death in 1995 of the Dead's de facto leader, the charismatic guitarist, singer and songwriter Jerry Garcia.

As their concert revenues dried up, the four surviving band members often squabbled bitterly over business decisions and internal matters.

In Garcia's honor, they retired the Grateful Dead name and agreed to continue to perform together, first as the Other Ones, then as the Dead, but haven't toured under that name since 2004.

Now, with the day-to-day stress of running a company no longer a bone of contention, the door is open to a mature period of equanimity for a legendary group founded on the hippie ethos of peace and love in the '60s.

"I think it was a common thought that if we got rid of the business, we might become friends again," Hart said. "We might actually play again. We really love each other, and, deep down, we're tied at the heart. Our friendship needs to be renewed, but we could never do it around a boardroom table. Now we have nothing to fight over."

While idealistic Deadheads may blanch over their once communal idols in partnership with a big corporation, the band members couldn't be happier.

"This is a great load off of me and all of us in general, which is one of the reasons we thought it was a great deal," Hart said. "It had become unmanageable between the four of us. Board meetings were never our thing, even in the best of times."

It is also a lucrative and timely development for four musicians who are in deep middle-age, either 60 or over or close to it. While the terms of the deal were not disclosed, "it's a lot of money," said Tim Jorstad, a San Rafael-based accountant who is the Dead's chief financial officer in Marin.

"We negotiated a profit sharing with Rhino with some very large minimum payments each year," he said. "We have replaced their income, at one of their highest earning years, for 10 years. We are expecting to earn way more than the minimum payments, but at least these guys are very well protected. They're pleased that they have financial security for 10 years."

But the agreement with Rhino further loosens Marin's connection with a rock institution that has been identified with the county since the summer of 1966, when the Dead moved onto a ranch at Olompali in Novato and then to a former Boy Scout camp in Lagunitas. They earned their greatest notoriety at their landmark Victorian at 710 Ashbury St. during San Francisco's Summer of Love, but retreated to Marin soon after.

At the band's commercial peak in the mid-'90s, the Grateful Dead held the title of top touring act in the world, grossing some $50 million a year and overflowing stadiums across the country with tie-dye legions of Deadheads.

Grateful Dead Productions had more than 40 employees and a capacious headquarters in a former soft drink bottling plant in Novato's Bel Marin Keys.

With this switch to Rhino Entertainment, the band "severed" its remaining seven employees and closed its Lucas Valley Road office. It had already sold the sprawling Novato facility to a mountain bike company and moved out of the nondescript house on the corner of Fifth and Lincoln avenues in San Rafael that it had occupied as an office for more than 30 years.

With its move to Novato in the early '90s, it let go of its Front Street rehearsal studio and hangout in San Rafael, made famous by the album "Shakedown Street."

It has its Novato rehearsal space until the end of the year, and is looking to donate some of its equipment and memorabilia to the Smithsonian and the Library of Congress, Jorstad said.

Whether the four survivors ever play together again is anybody's guess. For the time being, they are all focused on their separate bands and careers.

Singer-guitarist Bob Weir has bought one of the former Industrial Light and Magic buildings in San Rafael as a rehearsal space for his band RatDog. The group is managed by former Grateful Dead Productions President Cameron Sears, who has also been retained by the Dead as an independent contractor, as has longtime CFO Nancy Mallonee and tape archivist Lemieux.

Grateful Dead bassist Phil Lesh and his Phil and Friends band have had a busy summer concert tour and have released CDs of their own.

Hart and fellow drummer Bill Kreutzmann have joined forces in a revival in the works of Hart's onetime side project Planet Drum.

Weir, Lesh and Kreutzmann still live in Marin, and Hart has a home in nearby southern Sonoma County, so it's not like the band has completely picked up stakes.

Still, as Dennis McNally, author of the Grateful Dead biography "A Long Strange Trip" put it: "There's not much left of the Grateful Dead in Marin County other than memories."

Contact Paul Liberatore via e-mail at liberatore@marinij.com

So sad....but hell,it's Rhino.good enuff for FZ,good enuff for JG.

The important question:when in the hell is DP #37 gonna come out? It's been 9 months & I'm jonesin'!

Scott

speaking of the dead,

I bought "Europe '72" not long ago, and as I listened I thought "dang, this is wilco." The similarity in sound at places is uncanny.

Or lately, Ryan Adams.

Their influence is far and wide.

Edited by essox500
Or lately, Ryan Adams.

Their influence is far and wide.

The weirdest thing about that is Phil Lesh has been playing a couple of Adam's song every night with Joan Osbourn singing them. Phil apparently really likes Ryan.

The weirdest thing about that is Phil Lesh has been playing a couple of Adam's song every night with Joan Osbourn singing them. Phil apparently really likes Ryan.

Really not too weird, actually. Ryan was in Phil's band for a spell last year. Phil does mostly all cover tunes in concert. Phil and Ryan are puportedly collaborating on an album, as well. Phil is a big Ryan fan, and vice versa.

As long as Rhino:

-stores them with the same security and protection from the elements

-Utilizes David Lemiux (sp?) and his access to Latvala's notes in terms of selecting projects, knowing what is what.

-Isn't susceptible to changes in ownership affected by their ties to WEA

-Continues to release items with the same frequency the Dead had with both hard copies and Flac quality soft copies online

AND

-Uses the same care, quality and standards exhibited on the 2 recent studio box sets we should be grand.

Alot of ifs, but who knows it could be better, and mean that fans get access to alot more items.

I wonder what their guidelines will be as far as fan trading, particularly online, if there will be any changes to the status quo

Cassius

I wonder what their guidelines will be as far as fan trading, particularly online, if there will be any changes to the status quo

I would suspect that Rhino would keep the availability of sbds via internet the same status as GD has: nope. It's a bona fide business operation/deal and they'll want to protect their investment, I'd imagine.

I believe Lemieux is one of the few remaining employees at GDP and will hopefully be a consultant for the upkeep/distribution of the vault.

Interesting how that guy came to work for them - as a student, he came there to look at their film archive and ended up being offered a job later on. I have a RELIX magazine that his story in it - plus a bunch of talk about the vault.

Interesting how that guy came to work for them - as a student, he came there to look at their film archive and ended up being offered a job later on. I have a RELIX magazine that his story in it - plus a bunch of talk about the vault.

Yeah, pretty much a dream job if you're a fan (as he was/is when hired). A young guy when hired ion the late 90s, too. The relix interview was well-done.

Here's a brief interview with lemiuex from a couple of years ago from Jambase.com:

http://www.jambase.com/headsup.asp?storyID=5914

As long as Rhino:

-Utilizes David Lemiux (sp?) and his access to Latvala's notes in terms of selecting projects, knowing what is what.

Cassius

You hit the nail square on the head there :thumbup A good friend of mine had an all-night (mid.-6am) Saturday Dead show here from '99-'03 on the radio & he got to interview Lemieux a few times.A most knowledgable & articulate man.

I think the name Dick's Picks should live on...I thought it was a shame when they quit using the logo of Dick holding a reel.That'd make one coool t-shirt!

Scott

What's the story on those "betty board tapes" - I understand they got sold off of some such thing.

I haven't heard that they've been sold, but I'd imagine they've been transferred to Rhino with the rest of the live catalogue. There are still many Betty boards available for streaming on sites like archives.org. There are certainly a lot of them in circulation, as well. Though they obviously lose their pristine-ness over time through multiple generations, they still sound great. I believe I've heard a clone off of a master once, and it of course sounded spectacular. The ones available for streaming sound great too, though.

I should look it up

I have heard various references to the fact that she had master reels in her possession - and that they were sold off for some reason - I have never heard the whole story.

I should look it up

I have heard various references to the fact that she had master reels in her possession - and that they were sold off for some reason - I have never heard the whole story.

Ah. They were apparently left in a storage locker by Betty and ignored. The contents of the storage space were sold to several groups of people when she could not be contacted. I believe at least one of the parties who bought a chunk of the master reels released them into circulation (as they are fairly common in attaining).

There has already been talk of such future projects as a Grateful Dead musical production like the new Beatles show in Las Vegas by Cirque du Soleil.

Forget the war in the Mideast, this has to be a sign of tha Apocalypse.

Next up... Garcia On Ice, then the animated movie "based" on Terrapin Station, starring the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles...

As long as they continue Dick's Picks & From the Vault or other projects.

I think Rhino can do a good job in keeping the Deads music available

for generations to come.

I'm glad I took the time to build my own vault.

1976 hrs of GD & JGB later I'll still add more.

Thank you Grateful Dead for always being

so cool with sharing your music.

Really not too weird, actually. Ryan was in Phil's band for a spell last year. Phil does mostly all cover tunes in concert. Phil and Ryan are puportedly collaborating on an album, as well. Phil is a big Ryan fan, and vice versa.

first off phil doesnt do mostly covers lol HE WAS IN THE FUCKING BAND!

secondly phil is actully singing lead on a bunch of these like Cold Roses, Nobody Girl and Let It Ride (WHICH IS DOES REALLY WELL!)

I should look it up

I can't remember the volume,but the Deadheads Taping Compendium has the full story of the Betty Boards.I'll look it up & let ya know

first off phil doesnt do mostly covers lol HE WAS IN THE FUCKING BAND!

secondly phil is actully singing lead on a bunch of these like Cold Roses, Nobody Girl and Let It Ride (WHICH IS DOES REALLY WELL!)

I wan't aware he HAD PLAYED IN THE GD!!!

I was referring more to his non-Dead input, but still, he's "covering" GD material, regardless. He does a few tunes off of his Phil & Friends album, but the GD stuff is being interpreted by 1/6 of the original GD with other non-GD musicians. He does a lot of covers that are not GD, as well.

Your second point about him actually singing the Ryan tunes is what?