Golden Smog @ The Vic

I havn't see this posted yet. Sorry if it has been Discussed.

Goldedn Smog at the Vic 9-19-06. The tour is with Gary, Kraig, and Marc. I have to believe Jeff would show if he is in town.

To bad it is on a Tuesday too.

Don't forget Dan Murphy....

I didn't forget Dan, I do not believe he is on the tour. I assume he is busy with the Soul Asylum tour. By the way if anyone cares, I did see Soul Asylum this summer, and they were great!

Dan was at the two shows already played this year - and those dates don't seem to conflict w/SA shows. I can't imagine them playing without him. He's faaaaaaar more a part of the current lineup of GS than Jeff.

-Laura

Edited by loraaw
Dan was at the two shows already played this year - and those dates don't seem to conflict w/SA shows. I can't imagine them playing without him. He's faaaaaaar more a part of the current lineup of GS than Jeff.

-Laura

Yeah, I was at one of those shows and I'm almost certain Dan will be at the Vic show.. You're right about Jeff, not much input on this record unlike the past two.... Would be a treat for him to at least make an appearance though.

im sort of disappointed with Jeff's involvement with Golden Smog. i know he is busy (so is everyone else in the band).

Im just disappointed because GS sort of took him in after Uncle Tupelo separated. He was doing GS before/during Wilco was formed and A.M. was being recorded.

GS was a new beginning for him and maybe it helped with the band split up. Hopefully, he wouldnt let those feelings go aside. But time goes on and things change.

• 1 month later...

I'm not much for the new Golden Smog CD. Does anyone else notice that the band is now essentially The Jayhawks? I'm amused that the Jayhawks "broke up", and then this CD comes out.

I like Gary Louris, but something has gone awry with his lyrics...case in point - that "Corvette" song. Ugh.

"Long Time Ago" is pretty good...I could use a few more of those. I was suprised when Tweedy ended up having such limited involvement...it seems like his songwriting is swinging around to this type of band.

--nt--

I'm not much for the new Golden Smog CD. Does anyone else notice that the band is now essentially The Jayhawks? I'm amused that the Jayhawks "broke up", and then this CD comes out.

I like Gary Louris, but something has gone awry with his lyrics...case in point - that "Corvette" song. Ugh.

"Long Time Ago" is pretty good...I could use a few more of those. I was suprised when Tweedy ended up having such limited involvement...it seems like his songwriting is swinging around to this type of band.

--nt--

It really is almost like a new post-Olson Jayhawks record...and I believe it would be the worst one yet. The album really isn't that good and I was really let down by it. In a year of great music, this one is a major lowpoint. It also could have used more Jeff on it as the songs he is in are the highlights for me.

didnt go, but here is what I got from another board

Tweedy played with Golden Smog in Chicago tonight!

Some of the highlights:

Long Time Ago (Gary and Jeff duet)

Radio King (Gary and Jeff duet)

Lost Love with the entire Vic Theatre seemingly singing along.

Jeff looked like he was having a ball when he played with them, but on a lot of the new stuff, he deferred to the other guys and just walked around clapping, or even just left the stage altogether. The band was really slick and polished except for when Tweedy would play along on songs he didn't know (normally just staring at Danny Murphy and playing along). Then the band would get sloppy, they'd all smile and look like they were having a blast. A fantastically fun night.

I thought it was a Cheap Trick song that ended up in the car ad. Which would explain the Cheap Trickiness of the song a bit.

As far as Golden Smog being an analog for the Jayhawks thats just crazy. They had more jayhawks members on Weird Tales then they do on this one, And Kraig hasn't been a Jayhawk for about 7 years so its the same two dudes from the 'hawks in the Smog.