• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

killing an arab for no real reason? i'm sure the president couldn't relate to that plotline!

No doubt. :lol

Plus, this book has long been a pretty cliched fashion accessory for people trying really hard to look intelligent. But, hey, lets give the guy credit--its a short enough book that I'm willing to believe that Bush might have actually read it.

Always a useful peice of trivia when compiling your international philosophers football (soccer) eleven - Camus was a wannabe goalie.
I just saw that Monty Python episode again recently ... hilarious!

"The Germans are disputing it. Hegel is arguing that the reality is merely an a priori adjunct of non-naturalistic ethics, Kant via the categorical imperative is holding that ontologically it exists only in the imagination, and Marx is claiming it was offside." :lol

How original. Bashing the president's intellect. Again. :yawn

How many of you have ever spent 5 minutes with the man, or someone close to him?

His wife has a master's in library science. And I'm sure that he never encountered a book while obtaining a bachelor of arts degree in history at Yale or an MBA at Harvard.

but it's easy to re-churn these tired, hackneyed jokes, rather than to give the man the befefit of the doubt. I'm sure that increasing your smug quotient is reward enough for most of you. God forbid you delve into any substantive and studied criticism of his policies or politics. That would take some effort.

How many of you have ever spent 5 minutes with the man, or someone close to him?

His wife has a master's in library science. And I'm sure that he never encountered a book while obtaining a bachelor of arts degree in history at Yale or an MBA at Harvard.

but it's easy to re-churn these tired, hackneyed jokes, rather than to give the man the befefit of the doubt. I'm sure that increasing your smug quotient is reward enough for most of you. God forbid you delve into any substantive and studied criticism of his policies or politics. That would take some effort.

:worship

I'd like to hear one reason why he should be given the benefit of the doubt about anything at this point. I'm not really sure why anyone cares whether he read the book or not, but let's get real about this, he's shown himself to be incompetent in pretty much everything he's done since he's taken office. Why should people take him seriously?

I have cousins that went to school with Bush at Yale and boarding school. According to them, the characterization of him being a "gentlemen's C" student is generous. Very generous.

Also, he is self-admitted to being uninterested in reading, and most conversations with him never get beyond the sound bite stage because he usually doesn't know a lot about the issue (whatever it is). This is why his press briefings are rare -- his handlers don't trust him to speak deeply about the issue.

People can complain about Clinton and disagree with him and his policies, but no one can say that he was not educated on the issue, or worse, that someone else was making his mind up for him. I think that's what I miss about him the most.

People can complain about Clinton and disagree with him and his policies, but no one can say that he was not educated on the issue, or worse, that someone else was making his mind up for him. I think that's what I miss about him the most.

no one else was making up his mind for him? did this man not set policy based on polls?

no one else was making up his mind for him? did this man not set policy based on polls?

While I'm not sure this is true, I would rather have that -- isn't that truly "the will of the people" that governing is supposed to be about, as opposed to "the will of the several", which what Bush's administration is?

Anyway, I don't want to debate about this, just thought I'd add my knowledge about Bush, and then my longing for a better time leaked in. Sorry.

I'd like to hear one reason why he should be given the benefit of the doubt about anything at this point... Why should people take him seriously?

Because he is the President of the United States.

For me, that is enough to at least warrant a certain level of respect and benefit of the doubt.

So what would he have to do to no longer warrant getting that benefit of the doubt?

A lot of people gave him the benefit of the doubt and it resulted in a bloody, unnecessary mess of a war. Under those circumstances I think it's perfectly fair to doubt him.

America merely gave the world George Bush, Cheerios and the ThighMaster

:lol

Stupid is as stupid does, and Iraq is the stupidest thing this country's ever done.

Because he is the President of the United States.

For me, that is enough to at least warrant a certain level of respect and benefit of the doubt.

You're right. And that certain level of respect is given to him in a form that few others receive: The Secret Service.

Otherwise, he already gets more free, unjustified, ceremonial respect than he deserves, and he'll get it for the rest of his long, heavily-shielded life.

And he's the only Commander In Chief we've ever elected on Benefit Of The Doubt.

Sorry to bore you. May I recommend: www.substantiveandstudiedcriticismofbushspoliciesorpolitics.com