Pet Sounds 40th Anniversary

I don't rememer hearing any discussion about this album on this board before. Perhaps people would like to argue about the albums merits and how much it influenced Sgt. Pepper, only to be countered by Beatles fans saying that Brian himself was influenced by Rubber Soul, only to have someone else come in and tell everyone to calm down and say that all artists have many influences and the Beatles and the Beach Boys fed off eachother musically in the 60's, only to have some guy come in and say the albums sucks and is overrated without backing up his statements.

Or not?

I don't rememer hearing any discussion about this album on this board before. Perhaps people would like to argue about the albums merits and how much it influenced Sgt. Pepper, only to be countered by Beatles fans saying that Brian himself was influenced by Rubber Soul, only to have someone else come in and tell everyone to calm down and say that all artists have many influences and the Beatles and the Beach Boys fed off eachother musically in the 60's, only to have some guy come in and say the albums sucks and is overrated without backing up his statements.

Or not?

Haven't heard of the album. Is that the one where Billy Wilson invents the "canopy of sound" recording technique?

I'm not buying yet another copy of this disc, but the extras and goodies are pretty cool.

Pet Sounds 40th Anniversary Blog & Podcast series

anyway,

dcd

I am going to go out on a limb and that I have always hated this album. I NEVER understood the praise and still don't. I keep thinking as I get older I will "get it" but it never happens. Is it just a production thing for people?

I am going to go out on a limb and that I have always hated this album. I NEVER understood the praise and still don't. I keep thinking as I get older I will "get it" but it never happens. Is it just a production thing for people?

it's gotta be a production thing, Brian Wilson couldn't pen a pop song if his life depended on it. :brow

I am assuming this is a joke. How can you hate Pet Sounds?

LouieB

imho, greatest album (sequencing and songs together) EVER!

i listen to it no less than once a week...it's been that way for the last half of my life...i first heard it at 14.

solace, i am so looking into that vinyl. thanks for the tip.

imho, greatest album (sequencing and songs together) EVER!

i listen to it no less than once a week...it's been that way for the last half of my life...i first heard it at 14.

solace, i am so looking into that vinyl. thanks for the tip.

the-beach-boys-vinyl-cover-screen.jpg

How can you hate Pet Sounds?

LouieB

I don't know! This has bothered me for years. I eat, sleep, drink music and since I can remember I have been brought up to think this is one of the best discs of all time. I have owned it since I was a kid and every year give it at least one spin, and everytime it leaves me totally flat and annoyed. I must say I do not like the Beach Boys at all, but I can appreciate a lot of music that I personally don't like to listen to. Maybe I need a Pet Sounds intervention.

one side is mono the other stereo (i forget which color is which)

it was $23.75, not bad considering it'll be worth double that and then some after the 10k sell out ;). wouldn't sell mine tho

Well if you buy two, you can get a free set by selling the extra for double.....

(Wonder if Laurie's is handling this???)

LouieB