New Lyrics

I've noticed a lot of talk about the inpiringness and/or dissapointment in the lyrics Jeff has written for the newest songs in 2006. A lot of people are upset by the apparent loss of intensity and cryptic language, and a lot of other people seem to love the simple, sweet, inpiring lyrics. I can't help but notice that a number of the songs on A Ghost is Born(ex. Hell is Chrome), and some of the new songs (I.e. Impossible Germany) seem to be similar to, or at least rooted from, the Poems in Jeff's book "Adult Head", which was published after the release of YHF. The book is a collection of Poems and music-less song lyrics that had been written before, but no not used until after YHF. It seems clear that for a large part, Jeff is using a bank of song Ideas that He's had and has been elaborating on for who knows how long? If this is true, is there actually that much of a change in the lyrics? It seems to me that the band is continuing to move in the direction and momentum they've been in over their entire career from A.M. to AGIB.

It seems to me that the band is continuing to move in the direction and momentum they've been in over their entire career from A.M. to AGIB.

I think they are definetly taking a step backwards or at least to the side with this new material. Nothing groundbreaking here, for them or for music in general. We will see, its possible (i hope) that the studio versions of these tunes may come out completely different.

Lyrically, the songs remind me more of Being There.

Musically, the songs remind me more of AM.

Being There makes me happy.

AM makes me happy.

Therefore, the new songs...

(I'll finish that thought)

Make me happy!!!

:D :D :D

I read a comment by Nels Cline that he said the band was taking a more straight-forward apporach rather than something weirder and wackier since he was now on board. I do not think they are taking a step back. Instead musically, they are growing because they are doing different things each record. This next record wil have a lot of soul vibe to it and guitars that weaved together.

Plus, I think all of us can say that many bands can be labeled, but Wilco can not be.

I don't think it's a step back or to the side. The band has been known to go in directions everyone thinks they won't go. I'm guessing when Nels and Pat entered the peoples expected crazy experimental jazz/crazyness, and they ended up defying them.

Kudos to them.

I think you're right there.With NC involved I think it would be reasonable to assume things would get stranger than ever...but NOOOOOO!

Another reason to love these guys...they continue to defy speculation.Now if this record can just come out before I'm eligible for my AARP card :D

I still think that Wilco will have the element of weird and wacky on this album, but I am guessing with Nel's it will be in a more organic and insturment influenced way, rather than creating sounds from random objects like hubcaps. Hince, I think they will be more of a rockband, and less of the "America's answer to Radiohead" label they get stuck with at times.

Lyrically, the songs remind me more of Being There.

Musically, the songs remind me more of AM.

Being There makes me happy.

AM makes me happy.

Therefore, the new songs...

Lyrically the new songs are nothing like Being There and musically they sound absolutely nothing like AM........but, I'm gald they make you happy.

'What Light' is the best new tune that they have played so far. I hope more like it follow.

Lyrically the new songs are nothing like Being There and musically they sound absolutely nothing like AM........but, I'm gald they make you happy.

'What Light' is the best new tune that they have played so far. I hope more like it follow.

I think it's generally considered rude to state your personal opinion as fact, rather than just your opinion.

I think it's generally considered rude to state your personal opinion as fact, rather than just your opinion.

Not trying to be rude. Sorry.

But really, in my opinion, the new tunes sound nothing like AM or Being There....and I really like 'What Light'.

I still think that Wilco will have the element of weird and wacky on this album, but I am guessing with Nel's it will be in a more organic and insturment influenced way, rather than creating sounds from random objects like hubcaps. Hince, I think they will be more of a rockband, and less of the "America's answer to Radiohead" label they get stuck with at times.

Yeah, Nels was talking about it in his GP interview, chock full of guitars, keyboards, and slightly out of tune string instruments.

This may sound odd, but I had a revelation when I saw the movie "Invincible" (nowhere close to Rocky 1, but a decent sports movie when not making me puke with its over-the-top dramatics).

The opening credits rolled with Jim Croce's "I Got A Name". I've always LOVED that song....great tune, great lyrics.

To me, the "What Light" lyrics are in a similar vein....don't need to be a rocket scientist or English Literature proffesor to figure out its meaning...but it's uplifting and makes you feel good.

I don't have a problem with that.

in my opinion we live in a world where our leaders in government,media, sports,music...have all become very semantic and complicated(maybe i'm just getting old and out of touch). but i find myself getting more and more disconnected. i find the new material to be real and down to earth in a way that comforts me. that might change(things always do) but for now i really enjoy it.

spongebob :music

in my opinion we live in a world where our leaders in government,media, sports,music...have all become very semantic and complicated(maybe i'm just getting old and out of touch). but i find myself getting more and more disconnected. i find the new material to be real and down to earth in a way that comforts me. that might change(things always do) but for now i really enjoy it.

spongebob :music

:thumbup i'm with you on this one.

so, I am thinking about all the other wilco songs that I heard live before I heard the studio versions. And I am thinking about how different the sound was when they played it live prior to putting together the studio cut (e.g., spiders). Or how greatly the lyrics evolved (e.g., theologians) from it's initial playings to where it is now. even "the good part" being played these days sounds vastly different from the studio version. I played the old version for a wilco-friend and she did not even recognize it until the chorus started.

my best guess is that what we have been hearing is not where those songs will end. for at least some of the new songs. so i guess i don't care how much i like them (or don't like them) now. I am waiting to see how it all ends up.

I'm listening to Walken, and I think I like this as much as Box Full of Letters, or Monday, or Can't Stand It, or Heavy Metal Drummer, or even (gulp!) Spiders. I do think it's premature to predict what the new album will look like or how the songs will be arranged, but damn, this carries on the greatness, IMO!

:cheers