klosterman's new book

i'm going to borders right now to get it, but does anyone want to summarize for me before i go get it? :cheers

is that the sound of crickets i hear?

i'm gonna go get it now...if no one else does, i'll keep all of you posted...though my views count would suggest that no one cares.

good night, all.

It's actually just the article he did on Wilco in Spin before A Ghost is Born, he interviewed Jeff right before he had the series of panic attacks that he went into rehab for. It's a pretty good read, though he gets Spencer's name wrong (he calls him Seth). The other mention is in a short story Chuck wrote that comes at the end, Being There is playing in the background during a romantic tryst, which all things considered is probably the best Wilco album to have in the background during a romantic tryst.

I liked it quite a bit, even though I was familar with about 35% of the material, since it's almost entirely comprised of old articles. But his insights are typically hysterical and the short story, which is sort of fiction, at the end is really good.

--Mike

It's actually just the article he did on Wilco in Spin before A Ghost is Born, he interviewed Jeff right before he had the series of panic attacks that he went into rehab for. It's a pretty good read, though he gets Spencer's name wrong (he calls him Seth). The other mention is in a short story Chuck wrote that comes at the end, Being There is playing in the background during a romantic tryst, which all things considered is probably the best Wilco album to have in the background during a romantic tryst.

I liked it quite a bit, even though I was familar with about 35% of the material, since it's almost entirely comprised of old articles. But his insights are typically hysterical and the short story, which is sort of fiction, at the end is really good.

--Mike

thanks, mike. i realized it was a compilation of articles after i posted. i will, for the benefit of those who care, write my take on it as well after i finish reading it...though i might not get to it until christmas break, sadly. :cheers

He is a huge Wilco fan. He also wrote this little gem:

http://www.citypages.com/databank/25/1246/article12584.asp

Thanks for posting that. It's a spot on review, (IMHO), but one that I have never read.

And I might have to pick up his book as well. Never read any Klosterman, but I like his style.

How bizarre is it that the main reasion Jeff couldn't imagine an UT reunion is not because of bad blood, but that he's not sure he could still play the songs?

Chuck Klosterman wrote a book called Fargo Rock City a few years ago about growing up as a metalhead that was sooo amazing that I have followed his work ever since. Nothing has ever been as good (in my opinion) but I would definately say that his articles and interviews are better than his last two books.

I would recommend Fargo Rock City to anyone who grew up obsessed with music. I wish I had never read it so I could read it again for the first time.

I loved Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs and Killing Yourself To Live. Two of my favorite books. He's brilliant.

:yes

My mom ordered this and Fargo Rock City for me. That was nice of her. I'll post my thoughts on the wilco article.

Sounds like you got a good mom! I feel lucky myself in that regard

He's a very refreshing writer, especially in sports, where they need some refreshment every now and then. Anyone read his article on Bonds?

Usually I can't agree more with him.