Quadrophenia is genius. That simple.

I would say Quadrophenia is more of a "theme album" than a rock opera. So although they are all linked around the story of Jimmy, the songs are strong and can stand on their own. One of my favorite records of all time.

Tommy is more of a true "rock opera", what ever that means. So there are songs on there that to my mind are only there to move the story along and are pretty weak on their own - in fact, I would say some of them are weak even in the context of the album.

been a fan for a while .. cant wait to see them live for the first time this year.. but ill admit i dont have the highest of expectations from what ive been hearing about the new tour

same setlist every night is one thing that bugs me and a lot of fans sitting

they will never be the same live but hopefully it will be good

what are people's thoughts on the new stuff?

Saw the Who in 1997, they did Quadrophenia in its entirety, it was a great show. My mother-in-law and brother-in-law went with me, it was a great time even though the temp. that day was 103 F., I did I mention it was outside so you could imagine, but the show rocked. :rock

Get em both. Sometimes I catch cuts from Quad on the radio and am reminded how brilliant it is. Tommy is just a masterpiece in its own right though not sure how dated it would sound listening to it today. Also, don't forget another favorite Who mini-opera, A Quick One, While He's Away. The end of the song, with Pete singing, "you are forgiven, forgiven..." is sublime.

I. Her Man's Been Gone

Her man's been gone

For nearly a year

He was due home yesterday

But he ain't here

Her man's been gone

For nigh on a year

He was due home yesterday

But he ain't here

II. Crying Town

Down your street your crying is a well-known sound

Your street is very well known, right here in town

Your town is very famous for the little girl

Whose cries can be heard all around the world

III. We Have A Remedy

Fa la la la la la

Fa la la la la

Fa la la la la la

Fa la la la la

We have a remedy

You'll appreciate

No need to be so sad

He's only late

We'll bring you flowers and things

Help pass your time

We'll give him eagle's wings

Then he can fly to you

Fa la la la la la

Fa la la la la

Fa la la la la la

Fa la la la la

Fa la la la la la

Fa la la la la la

We have a remedy

Fa la la la la la la

We have a remedy

Fa la la la la la la

We have a remedy

Fa la la la la la la

We have a remedy

Fa la la la la la la

(spoken)

We have a remedy.

We have!

Little girl guide, why don't you stop your crying?

Here comes Ivor the engine driver to make you feel much better

IV. Ivor The Engine Driver

My name is Ivor

I'm an engine driver

I know him well

I know why you feel blue

Just 'cause he's late

Don't mean he'll never get through

He told me he loves you

He ain't no liar, I ain't either

So let's have a smile for an old engine driver

So let's have a smile for an old engine driver

Please take a sweet

Come take a walk with me

We'll sort it out

Back at my place, maybe

It'll come right

You ain't no fool, I ain't either

So why not be nice to an old engine driver?

Better be nice to an old engine driver

Better be nice to an old engine driver

V. Soon Be Home

We'll soon be home

We'll soon be home

We'll soon

We'll soon, soon, soon be home

We'll soon be home

We'll soon be home

We'll soon

Come on, old horse

Soon be home

Soon be home

Soon

We'll soon

We'll soon be home

Soon be home ...

VI. You Are Forgiven

Dang, dang, dang, dang, dang, dang, dang, dang, dang

Cello, cello, cello, cello, cello, cello

I can't believe it

Do my eyes deceive me?

Am I back in your arms?

Away from all harm?

It's like a dream to be with you again

Can't believe that I'm with you again

I missed you and I must admit

I kissed a few and once did sit

On Ivor the Engine Driver's lap

And later with him, had a nap

You are forgiven, you are forgiven, you are forgiven ... (ad lib)

You are forgiven

Although I can see their LPs as hit-or-miss,there is absolutely no question that The Who are one of best live acts ever to grace a RXR stage.You MUST get the Live at Leeds.Don't hesitate.

I saw them on their first "farewell tour" in '82 (sadly I never saw Moonie)and when they kicked down with the Tommy mini-set part it still,12 years after it's conception, just blew me away.One of those moments where EVERYONE in the room is EXACTLY right where they want to be...the energy was just overwhelming.

I love Tommy for the 'anthemic' quality of many of the songs.Underture in particular still gives me chills.Maybe one of the best riffs ever (all the hyperbole here is completely justified).A number of Tommy songs are mediocre,but they serve an otherwise fairly incomprehensible story.

Quadrophenia is much stronger construction-wise & recording-wise,imo.Fantastic individual songs,as well.Much more mature than Tommy.The guys are really at the top of their game here..professional.Maybe the last really great record they made.

All that nonsense aside...get em both,& I give the small nod to Tommy :thumbup

I've never been a big Who fan, but I told a friend I'd give these two rock operas a fair listen. What is the current opinion on these two works, with people who grew up with them or younger people? Just curious.
Both great. I would start with Tommy and go to Quadraphenia. I remember listening to Quadraphenia for the first time with my old friend Joe sometime in the 70s. Been listening to Tommy since it came out as well. There are still points in both (both songs and intrumentals) that are some of the best stuff ever done.
Saw the Who in 1997, they did Quadrophenia in its entirety, it was a great show.
I saw this tour too and it was fun.

Both had movies made of them which are fun to see also.

LouieB

I'd have to say get both, too. Yes, they both have some weak moments, but both are loaded with excellent stuff: Pinball Wizard, The Acid Queen, 5:15, The Real Me, and the sublime Love Reign O'er Me. Both are essential.

And I agree with mountainbed about Live At Leeds. That kicks ass all day and night.

Saw 'em in '79, and they were unbelievable. I'll never forget the way John Entwistle's bass sounded in My Generation. Wow. :rock

Quadrophenia is arguably the Who's masterwork. It must be pointed out tho that Who's Next was at one point the Lifehouse "Rock Opera" and that never gelled but became quite a recording as well. For me Tommy is weak. At the time(1968-69)it was recorded and released I think the whole messiah theme was abit played out and wasn't really an original theme, besides that has been doone throughout literature and classical music for cneturies. Now, a 'rock opera" about a mod facing his own maturity and/or crack up that to me is brilliance. The follow up isn't too shabby either, Who By Numbers showcases what a great songwriter Townshend is. Its not a an attempt at making a grand statement just two sides of classic Who(although it does have an underlying hangover atmosphere that might be considered themelike). This si the who album I go back to time and again.

Does anyone else remember WASP covering "The Real Me" Genius

"The Girl I Used To Love

Lives In This Yellow House

Yesterday She Passed Me By

She Would Not Want to Know Me Now"

Quadrophenia hands down!

Edited by mchchef1