Raise a glass to the 1970s

60s

although i think Exile is the greatest and Zep hit their prime during the 70s, rock used half the decade to become bloated monstrocities. not to even bring up soft rock and disco.

the 60s had so much more to offer from rock to pop, jazz to blues, ska to reggae. folk, country and gospel too. the changes, strides and revolutions within each genre have been unmatched since. the 70s had moments where all that change and progess was refined and developed to near perfection but a lot of it was bastardized as well.

Good point...I think my point of the greatest ever was just that I believe there are more 5 star albums in the 70s than any other decade. Like seriously...there are 5 star albums that don't even make the top 100 for that decade, because there are so many.

My musical tastes really froze during the late 80s and early 90s, but in the 70s I would listen to anything and everything and loved it all.

There was some great radio in the 70s and it covered the spectrum. There was also no music-buzz industry (or not much of one) and alas, no internet music hipsters to tell us what was cool any given week. It was a free-for-all.

I've said it before on VC: I grew up during the 70s, and pop was great. Unbelievable diversity. Of course there was plenty of shlock, as in any era, but there was so much quality stuff playing on the radio, it was amazing.

A few songs that were once "Top 40 radio" fodder:

Golden Years - David Bowie

Imagine - John Lennon

Bennie & The Jets - Elton John

Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd

The Joker - Steve Miller Band

The Tears Of A Clown - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

Let It Be - The Beatles

My Sweet Lord - George Harrison

Me And Bobby McGee - Janis Joplin

Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey - Paul & Linda McCartney

American Pie - Don McLean

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations

Frankenstein - Edgar Winter Group

50 Ways To Leave Your Lover - Paul Simon

Heart of Gold - Neil Young

Blinded By The Light - Manfred Mann's Earth Band

Miss You - The Rolling Stones

Heart Of Glass - Blondie

Truckin' - Grateful Dead

Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel

Sister Golden Hair - America

The Boys Are Back in Town - Thin Lizzy

Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult

Rhiannon - Fleetwood Mac

#9 Dream - John Lennon

Big Yellow Taxi - Joni Mitchell

Love Is the Drug - Roxy Music

It was truly a golden age, and though I have to agree with Narziss that the greatest stuff came in the 60s, I think the 70s only seemed like a letdown because the 60s were so damn good. Not to mention all the great stuff that never made the charts, like Gentle Giant, early Genesis, etc etc.

There was some great radio in the 70s and it covered the spectrum. There was also no music-buzz industry (or not much of one) and alas, no internet music hipsters to tell us what was cool any given week. It was a free-for-all.

were you into Bread?

thumb-wkrp.jpg

Could we start a poll: Who's hotter Jennifer or Bailey?

Do you remember the episode where the bible thumpers were trying to control what was played on the air? Johnny Fever ask if a song said" Imagine there was no heaven, etc." would they ban it? of course said holy roller says if the song said there was no heaven it should be banned. Johnny fever responds it does not say there is no heaven it says IMAGINE IF THERE WERE NO HEAVEN!! Fuck yeah!! sorry just having a moment I loved that show the station mascot was a carp, now that is comedy

I've always said '72 was the best year for albums

Europe 72

Dark Side (released in '73) But Eclipse and others played heavly, most recording done in '72)

Exile on main Street

HarvestT

Thick as a brick

Can't Buy a thrill (first album)

ziggy Stardust

Rio Grande Mud( the only ZZ Top album to own)

Eat a Peach

Talking Book Stevie Wonder

Machine Head DP

School's Out Alice Cooper

Let's stay together The Rev. Al Green

Garcias first solo album

Closer to The Edge Yes

I'm Sure their is more?

With a list like that,who's to argue? My favorite years are from '65-'75 (esp. '68-'73).

In response to j4's quote regarding Midnight Special,that'd be a most excellent acquisition..but I'd REALLY like to have a Kirshner's Rock concert DVD box..that show kicked ass.I especially remember Sabbath from '74 or so,Golden Earring,many,many others.

A-man,have you ever seen the show w/ T. Rex on it? AWESOME! I can still recall how amazed I was when I saw it.I was maybe 12-13 yrs. old but it blew me away :music

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but first album I bought was...Caribou, by Elton John. Luckily I veered away from that smaltz to the serious rock of the 70s, Born to Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town, My Aim is True, Damn the Torpedos, Blood on the Tracks, and on. I did and still do have a secret (now public, I guess) love of certain disco songs even though I spent one night in the Valley spray-painting "Disco" on all the Stop signs in Encino...

:cheers

B)-->

QUOTE(Paul B @ Sep 27 2006, 03:36 PM)

I know someone who claims that EVERYTHING was better in the 70s.

Sorta hard to argue with that mentality but it doesnt stop me from trying.

It seems to be generally agreed that today's marijuana is better than '70s marijuana.

B)-->
QUOTE(Paul B @ Sep 27 2006, 03:36 PM)
<!--quotec-->

I know someone who claims that EVERYTHING was better in the 70s.

Sorta hard to argue with that mentality but it doesnt stop me from trying.

It seems to be generally agreed that today's marijuana is better than '70s marijuana.

It seems to be generally agreed that '70's psychedelics were better than today's psychedelics (that's what I was told) B)

It seems to be generally agreed that '70's psychedelics were better than today's psychedelics (that's what I was told) B)

That could well be the case. The '80s psychedelics we had were pretty good.

That could well be the case. The '80s psychedelics we had were pretty good.

It's probably just me,but I absolutely refuse to indulge in such substances as long as there is a Republican-controlled Congress. :P

I wonder what our fascination or need to classify everything by decade is all about. There is crappy & good music at any given time.

I have to agree that there was a lot of great music happening in the 70s; even disco had its moments. The Bee Gees disco-fusion was brilliant and (perhaps) unparalleled. I guess I'm biased because I was born in 1970, one of the first albums I remember getting into was a Kris Kristofferson album when I was 5. Because I was so young I was mostly just soaking up whatever was out there, like Elton John, Fleetwood Mac, Electric Light Orchestra, Crystal Gayle, Nicolette Larson, John Denver. I don't think I really got into 70s hard rock until the 80s because really not a lot of hard rock was played on mainstream radio in the 70s (or at least I didn't know where that radio station was in my area).

Edited by fortuneinmyhead
I'm embarrassed to admit it, but first album I bought was...Caribou, by Elton John.

:cheers

Don't be embarrassed AWATT Caribou is a great album, along with most all the early elton Don't shoot me, Yellow brick road, Madman across the water were his best works

Don't be embarrassed AWATT Caribou is a great album, along with most all the early elton Don't shoot me, Yellow brick road, Madman across the water were his best works

You're right, too hard on EJ, those you list are actually excellent. It's just that Caribou was one of his lesser works, I think (Bitch is Back), and that cover, oy!

:)

I don't think I really got into 70s hard rock until the 80s because really not a lot of hard rock was played on mainstream radio in the 70s (or at least I didn't know where that radio station was in my area).

I can relate to that - although - I never listened to the radio very much.

As a H.S. metalhead, the only place you could hear the occasional hard rock song was on the classic rock station out of nearby Peoria (WWCT, the self-proclaimed 'Home of Rock'n'Roll')...I really do cite years of listening to it as one the major influences on my listening habits. I also spite it, for etching all the lyrics to 80% of the Eagles, Steve Miller, Doobie Brothers and Three Dog Night catalog in my cereberal cortex.