Rank The Velvet Underground albums

From what I have read, it was the manager's doing - I forget - is Sterling or Mo on it?

Joining the Velvet Underground

When Lou Reed fired bassist and multi-instrumentalist John Cale from The Velvet Underground in 1968, Yule (who had befriended the band in 1967) joined as Cale's replacement. He made his first studio appearance on their third album, The Velvet Underground (1969), playing bass and organ, as well as singing lead vocals on the ballad "Candy Says". On the fourth album, Loaded (1970), his role became more prominent, singing lead vocals on several songs and playing six instruments (including keyboard and drums). Yule's brother, Billy Yule, also joined in on the sessions as a drummer, as Maureen Tucker was pregnant and, therefore, absent for most of the recording.

Taking over the Velvet Underground

The rivalry between Yule and Reed (plus the tension between the band and manager Steve Sesnick) led to Reed's departure from the Velvet Underground in 1970. Yule, Tucker and Sterling Morrison, however, decided against disbanding the group, and recruited Yule's friend Walter Powers to replace Reed.

However, Morrison soon left in 1971, and was replaced by Willie Alexander on keyboards. The band would tour again, though, by 1972, Tucker and Alexander had also decided to leave. Despite this, Yule went back into the studio in 1973 (this time with Deep Purple drummer Ian Paice and two unknown session musicians) and recorded what would be the final album released under the Velvets banner. Squeeze was both a commercial and critical fiasco, and has since been removed from the official Velvet Underground canon. Yule soon retired the band's name that same year.

Post-1973

After Squeeze, Yule reunited with Reed, playing with him on tour and on the album Sally Can't Dance (1974), as well as joining the mainstream rock combo American Flyer. He appears on both Velvet Underground live albums released in the 1970s, Live at Max's Kansas City and Live 1969. He guested on an Elliott Murphy album as well. After American Flyer's second album was released in 1977, Doug Yule disappeared from music, becoming a cabinetmaker.

In the mid-1990s, Yule (who had moved to the San Francisco Bay area) returned to public life, giving some interviews and writing an obituary on Sterling Morrison, who died in 1995. He resumed the violin studies he'd abandoned in his teens, began to record again in 1997, and a song called "Beginning To Get It" appeared on the compilation A Place To Call Home in 1998. He played some concerts in 2000, and the live album Live in Seattle was released in Japan in 2002. Doug now lives in Ithaca, NY, and is building violins.

Being discredited as a Velvet Underground member

Though he is generally given less credit than most other Velvet Underground members, Yule played on more studio recordings than either Cale or Nico, and was a major influence on the sound of those albums.

Indeed some fans and rock writers have at times wrongly attributed Yule's contribution on some tracks to John Cale (most notably 'What Goes On'), so seamlessly had Yule integrated into the band's setup in 1968.

Yule was not included in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame when the Velvets were inducted, and he didn't join their reunion in the early 1990s, despite Sterling Morrison's wish that he be included.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Later that year, Sesnick managed to secure a recording contract with Polydor Records in England, and Yule recorded Squeeze (1973) under the Velvet Underground name with Deep Purple drummer Ian Paice.

Squeeze is a controversial item among Velvet fans. Most fans flatly decline to consider any post-Lou Reed material as worthwhile. Critic Stephen Thomas Erlewine notes that the album received "uniformly terrible reviews" upon initial release, and was often "deleted" from official V.U. discographies.[3] Due to perceived middle of the road content, Squeeze is sometimes dismissed out of hand by Velvet Underground fans. However, with the advent of Internet audio file sharing, the previously obscure record has gained some supporters, who speculate that Squeeze might have fared far better if it had been promoted not as a V.U. album, but as Yule's solo debut, with some arguing that some of the songs would not have been out of place on Loaded.

http://bobchaos.com/squeeze/squeeze1.html

I doubt most people have ever heard this album - so maybe that is why no one lists it.

Later that year, Sesnick managed to secure a recording contract with Polydor Records in England, and Yule recorded Squeeze (1973) under the Velvet Underground name with Deep Purple drummer Ian Paice.

Squeeze is a controversial item among Velvet fans. Most fans flatly decline to consider any post-Lou Reed material as worthwhile. Critic Stephen Thomas Erlewine notes that the album received "uniformly terrible reviews" upon initial release, and was often "deleted" from official V.U. discographies.[3] Due to perceived middle of the road content, Squeeze is sometimes dismissed out of hand by Velvet Underground fans. However, with the advent of Internet audio file sharing, the previously obscure record has gained some supporters, who speculate that Squeeze might have fared far better if it had been promoted not as a V.U. album, but as Yule's solo debut, with some arguing that some of the songs would not have been out of place on Loaded.

http://bobchaos.com/squeeze/squeeze1.html

I doubt most people have ever heard this album - so maybe that is why no one lists it.

if that'sd the website I think it is, there's a very good interview with Yule on there

I can't say I've ever heard Squeeze, but I own every other commercial CD that's ever been released with the VU name on it. That said, I don't know how anyone could ever call an album without Lou Reed a VU album. Come on...

It's like calling "Momentary Lapse of Reason" or "Division Bell" Pink Floyd albums.

1. WL/WH

2. ...and Nico

3. Loaded

4. Velvet Underground

5. VU

6. everything else is just icing on the cake

Loaded (fully loaded edition) was my first real foray into the Velvet Underground so it holds a special place in my heart. Does have some awesome songs (Who Loves The Sun, Sweet Jane, Oh Sweet Nuthin', New Age). However, I have read that Mo Tucker wasn't involved with Loaded because she was pregnant. Lou couldn't wait? Were contract deadlines that much tighter back then? I can't imagine the band's label being demanding about them putting out another record too soon. The Velvet Underground were a fantastic band but didn't sell a large amount of records. So what was the hurry?

but official ranking (i only have the two boxed sets so...)

1.Velvet Underground

2.Loaded

3.Quine Tapes

4.and Nico

5.White Light/White Heat

And Nico

VU

Velvet Underground

WLWH

Loaded

I agree that they can be pretty interchangeable, VU was the first one I got in 84 when it came out(as that was a precursor to the reissues, and before that finding velvets albums in NWIndiana was a bit difficult)but I think the first one is just a complete album IMO whixh i never thought they acheived again. Lady Godivas Operation has got to be my fave cut w/Sunday Morning a close second.

rghammo: It looks like the box set is only missing "Andy's Chest" and "She's My Best Friend" from VU (pretty non-essential tracks IMHO), but only has a couple tracks from Another View. I wouldn't say you're missing much, then, as I don't rate Another View very high, but others may disagree.

It's a different version of "Ocean" also.

Squeeze is not as terrible as it's legend states it is, but it really isn't all that much better. It's been years since I've heard it (I have a dubbed cassette copy somewhere), but from what I remember, there was only one song on there that was any better than bad. Most of it is not offensively bad, but it really doesn't have a thing to offer.

I heard a couple songs that Doug Yule recorded years later (in the late '90s I think), and they were quite good.

Is anyone familiar with American Flyer?

Well there were songs about drugs and taking drugs I suppose, but few in rock and roll in 1967 and none that talked about both the experience of actually taking it in graphic detail and the sleezy side of going out and getting it. All this was a far cry from Mr. Tamborine Man or Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds or even Steppenwolf's Pusherman or whatever it was called. (Or Kicking the Gong around by Cab Calloway...)

LouieB

I was thinking more about songs like Cocaine, or Take A Whiff On Me, Codeine or even Bert Jansch's The Needle Of Death which was written in 1965, which are very explicit.

Lyrics like this from Codeine, could easily have been on a Velvet Underground album:

An' my belly is craving, I got shakin' in my head

I feel like I'm dyin' an' I wish I were dead

If I lived till tomorrow it's gonna be a long time

For I'll reel and I'll fall and rise on codine

An' it's real, an' it's real, one more time

I was thinking more about songs like Cocaine, or Take A Whiff On Me, Codeine or even Bert Jansch's The Needle Of Death which was written in 1965, which are very explicit.

Lyrics like this from Codeine, could easily have been on a Velvet Underground album:

An' my belly is craving, I got shakin' in my head

I feel like I'm dyin' an' I wish I were dead

If I lived till tomorrow it's gonna be a long time

For I'll reel and I'll fall and rise on codine

An' it's real, an' it's real, one more time

Well you have a point there, but Take a Whiff on me and Cocaine are rather less explicit than Heroin to be sure. In fact Take a Whiff on Me makes coke sound like a ton of fun (not unlike Kicking the Gong around.) There have been drug songs for a good long time as we both agree upon, but most were relatively denatured during the folk revival by comparision to VU's more realistic take.

LouieB

Well you have a point there, but Take a Whiff on me and Cocaine are rather less explicit than Heroin to be sure. In fact Take a Whiff on Me makes coke sound like a ton of fun (not unlike Kicking the Gong around.) There have been drug songs for a good long time as we both agree upon, but most were relatively denatured during the folk revival by comparision to VU's more realistic take.

LouieB

Yeah, I agree.

Yeah, I agree.
Putting this into a real time perspective, I was actually 17 when the first VU album came out and I was lucky enough to have a friend who was hip enough to have it, so we sat in his livingroom playing this thing and believe me, it was unlike anything I was hearing on either the radio or on any of the folk records my older sister had.

The first Verve album was totally new and crazy shit. These albums (the first three) went out of print for years also, so we are lucky that this material is now fully available, both in the individual albums form and the box set to document the band's entire body of work. Most of those other albums that are making people's lists are either concert disks or out takes or material for the supposed 4th Verve album that was never released. We are lucky that Lou Reed got back into music otherwise these things would still be out of print.

LouieB

From a 1972 Lou Reed radio interview:

Interviewer: Where's Doug Yule?

Lou: Dead, I hope.

Interviewer: [Gasps] I went to school with Doug Yule, you can't say that!

Lou: Well, I did say it, but I didn't really mean it.

:lol

then he turned around and asked him to be in his band a few years later.

Peel Back Slowly and See is one of the best box sets ever....

LouieB

I have been thinking about getting this as well. All I have is VU & Nico and I love that.........yes, even Nico's tracks (i like Chelsea Girls as well).

One thing I've wondered - is the piano on All Tomorrow's Parties a loop or is he playing that in real time?

Just seems like that would kill your wrists.

if you listen to the live (90's reunion) version of 'all tomorrow's parties' you'll realize it is real-time. I've seen cale live & he is very skilled w/ the piano.

the boxed set is very worthwhile. one of my favorites is the version of 'the ocean' that is on there.

if you listen to the live (90's reunion) version of 'all tomorrow's parties' you'll realize it is real-time. I've seen cale live & he is very skilled w/ the piano.

the boxed set is very worthwhile. one of my favorites is the version of 'the ocean' that is on there.

Countess From Hong Kong

another thing that made me think it was a loop was that there is sorta a 'blip' or something at the beginning of the song, but i take it that is just some technical recording/editing mistake.

alright. i will get to getting the box set. it's been out over 10 years, so surely i could find a good conditioned used copy.