Please help explain and resolve my fear of cockroaches

whatdisay, that's how I am with spiders. Last night there was one in the shower, and since I was the only person home I had to "sack up" and kill it myself. :upset

In cases such as these I try to aim the stream of water at the spider so as to wash it down the drain, and so i don't have to do any smashing myself.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we used to have these flying cockroaches in Nashville:

cockroach.jpg

they would come out every time it would rain. they would also fly towards your head. good times!

In cases such as these I try to aim the stream of water at the spider so as to wash it down the drain, and so i don't have to do any smashing myself.

I considered that, but I didn't think it would fit through the holes in the little drain cover thingy, and I sure as hell didn't want it floating around beside my feet during my shower. :no

we used to have these flying cockroaches in Nashville:

cockroach.jpg

they would come out every time it would rain. they would also fly towards your head. good times!

I love when those bastards fly under lamp shades!

The cockroach is also one of the hardiest insects on the planet, capable of living for a month without food and remaining alive headless for up to a week. It can also hold its breath for 45 minutes and has the ability to slow down its heart rate.

Cockroaches are notoriously hardy animals. Radiologists have found that humans can safely withstand a one-time exposure of 5 rems (A "rem" is the dosage of radiation that will cause a specific, measured amount of injury to human tissue). A lethal dose is 800 rems or more (people are exposed to about 16 rems during their lifetime). The lethal dose for the American cockroach is 67,500 rems and for the German cockroach it is between 90,000 and 105,000 rems [5]. In addition, cockroaches can survive on very little; it has been discovered that cockroaches will eat the glue off of the back of stamps!

now I'm definitely scared. I'm donning protective garb for tonight's build-up-to-wilco-show geetar and drinking session on the patio.

:poke

From the Penn State Entomology Department:

Disease-producing organisms such as bacteria, protozoa, and viruses have been found in cockroach bodies. Different forms of gastroenteritis (food poisoning, dysentery, diarrhea, etc.) appear to be the principal diseases transmitted by these cockroaches.
I was told by an exterminator that if you see one cockroach in your place, there may be a hundred or even a thousand back in the nest where it came from. There are two good reasons to fear and detest them in my book.

i used to be sacred of them years ago. back in 1988, we had a plague of them here. the weather conditions turned out perfect for them to come out.

it was on the news and everything.

what happened to me was, i was about to leave the house to go to school. 3 of the little fuckers jumped out of my shoe onto me as i put my foot in it. so, for a while i couldnt stand them.

we call them crickets here - the ones that can jump. i still smash them to this day when i see one, but my heart doesnt start racing when i see one anymore :lol

i used to be sacred of them years ago. back in 1988, we had a plague of them here. the weather conditions turned out perfect for them to come out.

it was on the news and everything.

what happened to me was, i was about to leave the house to go to school. 3 of the little fuckers jumped out of my shoe onto me as i put my foot in it. so, for a while i couldnt stand them.

we call them crickets here - the ones that can jump. i still smash them to this day when i see one, but my heart doesnt start racing when i see one anymore :lol

You have cane toads near you? I saw a documentary on them not long ago. It was funny, but I imagine it's not funny to run over them in your car everyday.

You have cane toads near you? I saw a documentary on them not long ago. It was funny, but I imagine it's not funny to run over them in your car everyday.

nah, they're up north. (queensland mainly).. i'm down in victoria.

annoying pests from i've heard

We don't have too many cockroaches up here. (I hope they don't hear me say that.) But good Lord, I hate earwigs. They'll go anywhere, too. My friend found one between her newly washed sheets in bed one night. Well, felt it first. :yucky

Where we come from we call those nasty little earwigs, buttpinchers. :D

Once when I was 12 my parents were away for the weekend. This was when we lived in an older house on the west side of Phoenix. About twice a year we would see a roach in the house. Well anyway I walked into the kitchen and there was a roach by the microwave(this was back when they were the size of a tv). I freaked. I couldn't find any bug spray so I went into my parent's bathroom and found a can of Aquanet Hairspray. I must of unloaded half the can on that sucker. He just sort of froze. About 20 minutes later I threw him in the trash. We live by an old creek bed now and will see water bugs out on the porch occasionally. I never kill them.

mentioning the microwave only set me up to be let down.

I'm 35 and I still feel bad about that whole Aquanet incident. If I had microwaved the little guy I would probably be in an institution.