9:30 Club, Washington DC

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I discovered this show on the etree tracker.

HAPPINESS COMMENCE!

edit: UNHAPPINESS COMMENCE! why is Cali Stars ALWAYS NIXED OFF THE SETLIST?!?!?!?!

Just to piss Bob Boelin who thought he was being cool by saying "I'd like to here California Stars" to make himself look cool when he was obviously just reading off the setlist. Besides after 78 nothings I am pretty sure Tweedy was done.

--Mike

Just to piss Bob Boelin who thought he was being cool by saying "I'd like to here California Stars" to make himself look cool when he was obviously just reading off the setlist. Besides after 78 nothings I am pretty sure Tweedy was done.

--Mike

Could always do Cali Stars BEFORE Misunderstood... :pirate

I just got back from a three show jaunt, with my hometown show being sandwiched in the middle. I hadn't seen Wilco in six months or so, and it was fantastic to have them back. Most everything sounded fresh again, plus I love the new stuff like crazy.

And the crowd was fantastic -- nice and loud cheering-wise, but without chatters or stupid shouted comments.

My only complaint would be due to my having arm surgery three weeks ago, meaning my arm's in a sling, meaning I can't clap my hands. Not only does that put a damper on my expressions of enthusiasm, there's a LOT of audeience participation clapping these days -- Airline to Heaven, Kingpin, and the glorious drum solo in LNGCA. Many thanks to pneyu, brianne, and bbop for providing an additional hand for me to clap against occasionally (I'm such a dork :P ).

kungfuhowdoyounot.jpg

Master Po likes the sound of one hand clapping. You are learning well Grasshopper.

P.S. Hope you're on the mend now.

Haha! And yes, thank you. Glenn suggested before the morgantown show that maybe I'd been in a barfight. That's a pretty good line, and I intend to use it next time someone asks me what happened.

Thanks a lot - sounds great. :cheers

Funny that Walken started off in the style of the solo acoustic version..

That's the way it started off in PA too. I guess that's the most recent incarnation. Of course, if it ends up on the next album, i'm sure it'll sound different even then too.

I'm probably the only person on the whole board who feels this way, but as technically perfect as the show was, I was just the least bit disappointed.

I actually drove up from Asheville, NC to see the show at one of my old haunts (the 9:30, obviously) and my frame of reference was the show I saw there in 98 or 99. The Old 97's opened (as good as Melomane was, they ain't the Old 97's), and while Wilco was much sloppier back then (god, I miss Jay), they also looked to be having more fun, talking to the audience more, and had interesting stories to tell. The fact that Jeff actually made reference to the fact that he forgot to say hi to the audience until the 8th song at this latest show is indicative of how Wilco's live performances have been feeling for me lately - flashy, but with no passion or regards for the audience. In comparison, the show from 98 (or 99) that I saw there had weird stories, broken strings, an impromptu jam session with members of the audience coming up on stage, etc. It was just more fun. Don't get me wrong - I loved the show, and I think they played wonderfully. I just wish they felt comfortable loosening up a little bit, and letting their guard down.

the last time i saw them in dc (february or early march show of '05 i think?), i felt that they were very connected with the crowd. i think it was due to the recent circumstances that they may have felt a little detached or something...i know what you mean though, very little banter, etc. but keeping in mind what happened, it makes sense. but yeah, wilco definitely is not normally detached from their audience because every other show i've been to jeff has been cracking jokes and telling ridiculous stories throughout the night. so, what i'm saying is, they're still the same old band we know and love. :blush

I didn't realize that there was a death in Jeff's family... based on that, I'd say that I'm impressed that he played at all. I don't think I would have been able to do that.

That being said, I still miss the drunk, sloppy Wilco of years gone by... I miss J.P., Ken, and Jay!

• 1 year later...
Me? Eesh, I hope I don't show up on the tape anywhere...:ninja

I usually would not have recorded from so close, but that night I wanted to be in the action (9:30 pit!). I was about 3 people behind you.

Besides the normal whoo-hoo's and random song requests - the crowd was not bad.

I usually would not have recorded from so close, but that night I wanted to be in the action (9:30 pit!). I was about 3 people behind you.

Besides the normal whoo-hoo's and random song requests - the crowd was not bad.

Ah, I see. Well, I certainly wasn't doing any whoo-hooing (except during I'm The Man :lol ) or making random song requests, so I think I should be safe. A repeat performance this year?