'Weird Al' Yankovic finally hits the top 10

link

NEW YORK (Billboard) -- Now this is weird. "Weird Al" Yankovic's new album, "Straight Outta Lynwood," has scored the enduring song parodist his biggest chart successes in a career that spans nearly three decades.

"Lynwood," Yankovic's 12th album, debuted this month at No. 10 on the Billboard 200, his first top 10 album ever. Meanwhile, the Chamillionaire parody "White and Nerdy," reached No. 9 on the Billboard Hot 100, besting his previous high of No. 12 with "Eat It" in 1984.

"I literally danced a little jig (when I found out)," Yankovic says. "It's just a number, but I've been obsessing over it for a long part of my career. Even with, you know, millions of records sold, I've never been in the top 10, and it's always been a goal of mine."

So what's going on here? It could be the widespread appeal of comedy or that Yankovic's legacy and fame have expanded throughout his career (his first single, "My Bologna," was released in 1979). It could even be providential numerology associated with this being his 27th year of recording (Yankovic has a running joke with the number 27; witness the license plate on the cover of "Lynwood").

For his part, Yankovic tends to credit the Internet. "The ("Nerdy") video has gotten a lot of attention, and the proliferation of places like YouTube (has) been a big help," he says.

Yankovic also has accumulated 155,000 MySpace friends since he joined the site in July -- all of which he says he personally added. "I used to be a little pickier. Now I just kind of click as fast as I can."

New audience

Once "Nerdy" hit outlets like YouTube, there was no stopping it. "We knew with 'Nerdy' that he'd hit on something incredibly relevant to different generations," Dan Mackta, senior director of marketing for Zomba Label Group, says. "Kids were discovering him like a new artist."

Plus, with the advent of download services, Mackta says, suddenly Yankovic can be a singles artist again, and indeed, "Nerdy" has been safely tucked into iTunes' top five for the past few weeks.

"I'd kind of written off the chance of ever having another hit single, since record labels weren't really releasing commercial ones," Yankovic says. "As much as people are griping about the Internet taking sales away from artists, it's been a huge promotional tool for me."

"Lynwood" has also benefited from positive reviews and glowing responses from his targets -- even though Yankovic had to pull the song he originally slated for the first single, the James Blunt riff "You're Pitiful," after issues arose with Atlantic. (Yankovic released the track for free on his Web site.)

Chamillionaire, whose song "Ridin' " is spoofed as "Nerdy," even posted Yankovic's track on his own MySpace site.

"It seems like he's come full circle," Mackta says. "A lot of the artists he's parodied have come and gone, but Al is kind of a pop culture icon at this point."

Yankovic takes such props in stride. "It's a little dreamlike," he says. "I can't believe I'm getting this at this point in my life."

Copyright 2006 Reuters.

long overdue.

I was coerced into seeing Weird Al live 10 years ago. I have to give him props for being a really cool guy because after the show he sat on the sidewalk in front of the theatre and waited to greet every fan who waited to talk to him, get a picture, etc. I mean, you can't really picture him on the bus with the ladies or whatever, but he certainly doesn't have to do that.

I've liked Weird Al ever since "Another One Rides The Bus."

:cheers

Yeah! Totally forgot about that one. My wife and I weren't even familiar with the Chamillionaire song he's parodying, but we both cracked up during the video. I was trying to explain who he was, and the only example I could remember was "Eat It," his parody of Michael Jackson's song "Beat It."

He used to be featured quite a bit on the Dr. Demento radio show (those were the days), and it's great to see him get some real numbers. He's a clever guy.

I was coerced into seeing Weird Al live 10 years ago. I have to give him props for being a really cool guy because after the show he sat on the sidewalk in front of the theatre and waited to greet every fan who waited to talk to him, get a picture, etc. I mean, you can't really picture him on the bus with the ladies or whatever, but he certainly doesn't have to do that.

I ran camera for a pre-show interview of Al about a decade ago, and he was the most gracious and accommodating performer I've ever dealt with (with two possible exceptions -- see below). He put a lot of enthusiasm into the interview (which was being done for a local cable-access show), and he was super nice to us before and after, with zero rock-star bullshit. A genuine and funny guy.

The two possible exceptions: Billy Bragg and Henry Rollins, who have both hung around after shows I've attended and talked to anyone who waited around and signed anything that was put in front of them, without being standoffish or moody. Good guys, all three.

I've always found him so unique and he's been around since I was about 10 or 12. he seems to make popular songs even more popular through his parody. I sometimes end up liking the parody better than the actual song.

I've always found him so unique and he's been around since I was about 10 or 12. he seems to make popular songs even more popular through his parody. I sometimes end up liking the parody better than the actual song.

for example:

"(This Song's Just) Six Words Long"

This song is just six words long

Couldn't think of any lyrics

No I never wrote the lyrics

So I'll just sing any old lyrics

That come to mind, child

You really need words

Whole lotta rhyming words

You gotta rhyme so many words, mm-mm

To do it, to do it, to do it, to do it

To do it, to do it right, child

I know that you're probably sore

'Cause I didn't write any more

I just didn't get to complete it

So that's why I gotta repeat it

This song is just six words long (six words long)

This song is just six words long (six words long)

Oh I make a lotta money

They pay me a ton of money

They're payin' me plenty of money

To sing this song, child

I gotta fill time

Three minutes worth of time

Oh, how will I fill so much time, mm-mm

I'll throw in a solo, a solo, a solo

A solo, a solo here

This song's got nothin' to say

But I'm recording it anyway

I know if I put my mind to it

I know I could find a good rhyme here

Oh, you gotta have-a music

You need really catchy music

This song has got plenty of music

But just six words, child

And so I'll sing' em over

And over and over and over

And over and over and over, mm-mm

And over and over and over

And over and over and over again

Six words long, six words long

It's just six words long

:lol

• 1 year later...

Weird Al will now be releasing songs as singles online as he thinks of them, instead of waiting for albums

He'll have a new song out within the week.

NEW SINGLE!

Remember when I said I was going to start releasing tracks to iTunes as soon as I finished recording them? Well, I'm in the studio this very moment – and the first track released from my next album will be available on iTunes a week from today (October 7)!

This is extremely exciting for me. One of the hardest things I've had to deal with in my career is keeping my material topical even though I only release albums every 3 or 4 years. Now, with the advent and popularity of digital distribution, I don't have to wait around while my songs get old and dated – I can get them out on the Internet almost immediately. It kind of boggles my mind – I thought of the idea for this new song a week ago, and next week it's getting released!

I'm only supposed to "tease" this release right now – I'll post more info about it in a couple days. But I will say that it's a parody of a song that very recently was (or perhaps still is) the number one song in the country. That would be another first for me – I don't think I've ever released a parody of a song while the original song was still number one!

iTunes will have an exclusive on this song for two weeks, after which I guess it will be available wherever else digital downloads are sold. But I'm really kind of hoping this sucker will chart, so if you can, please buy it the first week it's out!

If this release goes well, there will be more to come. Thanks in advance for your support!

Al

I've liked Weird Al ever since "Another One Rides The Bus."

Oh hell yeah. That imitation of Freddie's "heyyy-yeay-yeay-yeah-eee-yeah" bit just made me laugh hysterically. Still does.

The kids at my nieces' middle school love Weird Al. I like that he's still doing what he does, and nearly 30 years after I was in middle school (Another One Rides the Bus era), kids that age are still loving it. Seems like a good life. :yes