The Decemberists on Halloween

First off, I don't have a setlist, I'm hoping someone will post it on the Decemberists board soon. I think they played everything off the new album though, plus Red Right Ankle, Legionnaire's Lament, A Gymnast High Above The Ground, 16 Military Wives, A Cautionary Song, and We Both Go Down Together.

Everyone came out in full on Ninja gear. Actually, we had a preview of their costumes when the opening band was infiltrated by masked folks in black crouched behind amps during one song. Most of the band took the hoods off pretty quickly but Jenny and Chris stuck it out through the whole main set. It was pretty damn amusing to see a ninja bobbing around behind an organ and playing an accordion.

The best part of the evening was the encore. After a wonderful costume contest (the Chimbley Sweep 'swept' it), Colin announced that they were now going by "R.E.M. Ninjas" and the band proceeded to play Begin The Begin, Cuyahoga, and Superman. Then they broke into a medley of covers by other artists. I'm sorry to say I can't remember what all the songs were because it was so crazy on stage. All of the costumed contestants were asked to stay and dance with the band through the entire 1/2 hour encore. I was so entertained watching The Crane Wife do the bump with Chris, and The Chimbley Sweep's sword duel with The Shankhill Butcher, I wasn't really paying attention to the medley. I think Wooden Ships was in there, as well as a Velvet Underground song. Beyond that, I'm clueless.

I hope to god someone was recording this show.

EDIT: It's coming back to me now. A Cautionary Song was the first song of the encore, and then the rest of the time was covers. The 3 REM songs, and a bunch of others melding together. I'm pretty positive "Wooden Ships" by CSNY began it and "What Goes On" by Velvet Underground ended it.

Here we go:

Crane 3

Island

We Both Go Down Together

Gymnast

Perfect Crime 2 (which was as awesome live as I hoped)

Yankee Bayonet

Shankill Butchers

Architect

Valencia

Legionnaire

16 Military Wives

Crane 1,2

Sons and Daughters

Encore.....

The Setlist says Culling but Colin definitely played a gorgeous Red Right Ankle instead.

Cautionary

REM NINJAS! (Begin the Begin, Cuyahoga, and Superman!)

And then the medley....

First off, I don't have a setlist, I'm hoping someone will post it on the Decemberists board soon. I think they played everything off the new album though, plus Red Right Ankle, Legionnaire's Lament, A Gymnast High Above The Ground, 16 Military Wives, A Cautionary Song, and We Both Go Down Together.

Everyone came out in full on Ninja gear. Actually, we had a preview of their costumes when the opening band was infiltrated by masked folks in black crouched behind amps during one song. Most of the band took the hoods off pretty quickly but Jenny and Chris stuck it out through the whole main set. It was pretty damn amusing to see a ninja bobbing around behind an organ and playing an accordion.

The best part of the evening was the encore. After a wonderful costume contest (the Chimbley Sweep 'swept' it), Colin announced that they were now going by "R.E.M. Ninjas" and the band proceeded to play Begin The Begin, Cuyahoga, and Superman. Then they broke into a medley of covers by other artists. I'm sorry to say I can't remember what all the songs were because it was so crazy on stage. All of the costumed contestants were asked to stay and dance with the band through the entire 1/2 hour encore. I was so entertained watching The Crane Wife do the bump with Chris, and The Chimbley Sweep's sword duel with The Shankhill Butcher, I wasn't really paying attention to the medley. I think Wooden Ships was in there, as well as a Velvet Underground song. Beyond that, I'm clueless.

I hope to god someone was recording this show.

EDIT: It's coming back to me now. A Cautionary Song was the first song of the encore, and then the rest of the time was covers. The 3 REM songs, and a bunch of others melding together. I'm pretty positive "Wooden Ships" by CSNY began it and "What Goes On" by Velvet Underground ended it.

Lucky! I won't be expecting all that tonight, but I'm still pretty excited to be seeing them.

i still don't like that song on the record much at all :hmm

:yes Its my least favourite too. Everything else is incredible though.

Cant wait to see them next year. :dancing

:yay

peel this shows sounds fucking awesome!!

i saw them about a week ago, they were FANTASTIC! the crowd just eats out of their collective palm.

the crane 1->2->Sons and Daughters run left me moved.

would have loved to see jenny rockin the accordian ninja style! :ninja

:yay

peel this shows sounds fucking awesome!!

i saw them about a week ago, they were FANTASTIC! the crowd just eats out of their collective palm.

the crane 1->2->Sons and Daughters run left me moved.

would have loved to see jenny rockin the accordian ninja style! :ninja

I agree with every one of these statements.

Wow! Sounds like you had one hell of a show peel!!

Hope they're at least(!) half as good as that when I see them next year... get in!

What I'm debating is whether The Crane Wife can go in this years best of list as it's not out in the UK till NEXT year...

I'm in CT but the show was in Northampton, Mass.

The people on the Decemberists board are split down the middle: either they're super jealous and happy for the people that got to see this once in a lifetime gig or they hate our guts.

No recordings have surfaced yet unfortunately. I didn't see anyone taping. :no

I've got a few pictures that came out...I'll be putting them on my site tonight. Unfortunately, there is only 1 good pic for every 10 that didn't come out. Also, Al shot a video of most of Superman which should be on YouTube soon. I have a feeling that's going to get a LOT of hits.

What I'm debating is whether The Crane Wife can go in this years best of list as it's not out in the UK till NEXT year...

I'd say it's deserving of going on two best of lists. :)

I've got a few pictures that came out...I'll be putting them on my site tonight. Unfortunately, there is only 1 good pic for every 10 that didn't come out. Also, Al shot a video of most of Superman which should be on YouTube soon. I have a feeling that's going to get a LOT of hits.

I'd say it's deserving of going on two best of lists. :)

Links!!! :dancing

Apart from their set getting over-run by ninjas, how good or bad were Lavender Diamond (the opening act)?