• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And soon to start this (I'm number six-hundred something at the library for the recent one):

KiteRunner_rg.jpg

My sister-in-law recommended this book to me last year. What a great book.

51G5JSJ1K9L._SS500_.jpg

Which, eight pages in, is still holding my attention.

I (read: the wife) located the Bryson book, and I will read it after I get done with that new kids' book everybody's been talking about. Jesus Land is pretty grim, but also a fairly engaging memoir for the most part.

On my trip to Borders this morning to get Em a book I picked up Water for Elephants I started reading it this morning and it is really good....looking forward to an afternoon with it. Back to studying tomorrow - I am taking the day off! :)

On my trip to Borders this morning to get Em a book I picked up Water for Elephants I started reading it this morning and it is really good....looking forward to an afternoon with it. Back to studying tomorrow - I am taking the day off! :)

I love that book. Jason just finished reading it too.

Even though I'm only 1/3 of the way through The Kite Runner, I started this last night and nailed the first 100 pages. Well written and engaging. His book about Lou Gehrig was excellent, too.

opening-day-book-cover-m.gif

I also picked up this to start after the above while on vacation:

billykid.jpg

That Halberstam book is on my list. Pesky and Dom DiMaggio's car ride to visit the dying Ted Williams, right? He goes into the playing days with Bobby Doerr, too? Halberstam was a heck of a writer.

How is it so far?

The style is almost encyclopedia-entry simple, but I'm just noticing how deep it runs.

Yeah, he's really a historian at heart. He cut into journalism writing about and criticizing/questioning the White House administration on the Viet Nam conflict (war) with The Powers That Be. It was a ballsy book to write and it helped him gain respect in the business.

I adore David Halberstam - was so sad when he died. I love listening to his interviews......you should look through the NPR archives, he is so engaging to listen to.

eatpraylove.jpg

Just bought this for myself! Looks good. Also picked up "Water for Elephants". I'm currently reading "Astrid and Veronika", which is gorgeous, like walking into a Van Gogh painting. And no, I don't know what I mean by that except that it's an engrossing and beautiful story. :thumbup

You guys will tolerate my inability to express myself coherently, yes? :brow

I love Barbara Kingsolver - though wasn't sure if I would get into that one......it makes my ears perk up a little bit to hear you liking it so much. You and I have similar taste.

Today, I picked up this one......

Packaging_Girlhood.jpg

I love Barbara Kingsolver - though wasn't sure if I would get into that one......it makes my ears perk up a little bit to hear you liking it so much. You and I have similar taste.

Today, I picked up this one......

Packaging_Girlhood.jpg

I'd like to read that! I'm already seeing Alissa falling under marketing's messages (she'll be entering 6th grade in Fall), and it bothers the hell out of me. :realmad But we talk about it a lot, and she's a pretty strong, independent kid, so....hopefully she'll continue to think for herself, and "consider the source" of these messages, as I've always tried to teach her.

I read a bit this afternoon and it isn't much I wasn't already aware of, but I like reading cultural analysis - and whenever I read those types of books they always point out a few things I hadn't noticed before. It's been a good read so far. Definitely worth a read and also gives you tips on how to best approach the issues with your daughter, which is somewhere I could use some advice.

In a similar vein, I also recommend this - I tore through it in a day.

C_0743284283.jpg