bordo2.jpg

This book is phenomenal. Susan Bordo may be one of my favorite people on earth. Reading her books are like therapy.

I am anxiously waiting for this one to arrive

8030.jpg

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I misplaced my Copy of Sartre's The Words, so now I'm messing around with

btb.jpg

This looks good. I've got a large amount of Bukowski's works and he had a weird relationship with and concept of the Beats. He didn't consider himself in that genre but some of his stuff leans heavily towards it. I like reading analyses of him and his works. Let me know if this one is worth it, please.

I could not put down the Secret Life of Bees - and I should read it again one of these days. That is just the most delicious book. :)

I loved that book too. I think I read it all in one sitting.

I tend to get a little obsessive/compulsive when it comes to reading. I can turn the outside world off if I need to...

I'm kind of on a kids book kick lately. I finished The Mysterious Benedict Society yesterday and read this one last night and finished it this morning:

12203811.gif

Now to find what book I'm going to read next.

Serious question: I was looking through the household library last night for a good book to read and came across The Secret Life of Bees. My wife read it, apparently. I've read the comments here of high praise but also read the jacket in which it's touted as a book that will be passed down from woman to woman, or some such.

Now, I've got nothing wrong with reading books that are well written that appeal to females, particularly. But, would I, as a male, like the book or not? Is it something I'll just end up not "getting" due to my gender, or is it more universal than I'm giving it credit for?

That said, I opted for A Confederacy of Dunces last night.

Serious question: I was looking through the household library last night for a good book to read and came across The Secret Life of Bees. My wife read it, apparently. I've read the comments here of high praise but also read the jacket in which it's touted as a book that will be passed down from woman to woman, or some such.

Now, I've got nothing wrong with reading books that are well written that appeal to females, particularly. But, would I, as a male, like the book or not? Is it something I'll just end up not "getting" due to my gender, or is it more universal than I'm giving it credit for?

That said, I opted for A Confederacy of Dunces last night.

Recently, we had a bunch of people over for dinner. When the conversation turned to books, a male friend started asking who had read The Secret Life of Bees. Quite a few men in our little group had read it, and they all thought it was great. The guy who started the conversation said it was one of his favorite books of all time. Just some opinions from guys I know.

Whilst on holiday I also had an opportunity to read this:

51CLir1zyBL._AA240_.jpg

And thoroughly enjoyed it - his best in a long while. What you think of it will definitely depend on any strong feelings towards Coupland's writing, but it was very funny, very witty and an absolute joy to read... even if it did have spam in it... and not the meat variety that Monty Python sing about.

6.jpg

probably old new in these viral times:

"That's the kind of website that makes you want to buy the book and give chocolates to the author." - Neil Gaiman

This is a treat:

http://noonebelongsheremorethanyou.com/

Bought the book this weekend and read aloud her recent short in the New Yorker to the family. I actually made the Chapters (Cdn version of Borders) clerk go to the website and made sure that more copies where ordered.

Guess that means I'm part of the street team and I can't wait to crack the book !

08book.1901.jpg

totally guilty pleasure reading.......I wanted something mindless to veg out with after I finish my 2nd comp exam this week. I have spent the last month steeped in postmodern and poststructuralist gender theory......so, I am ready for something I don't have to think about. This will hit the spot.

I plowed through these two on vacation a couple weeks ago and enjoyed both:

12171146.gif

21KxYusOpKL._AA160_.jpg

... been looking through my shelves to decide what to read next.