Whilst on holiday I also had an opportunity to read this:

51CLir1zyBL._AA240_.jpg

And thoroughly enjoyed it - his best in a long while. What you think of it will definitely depend on any strong feelings towards Coupland's writing, but it was very funny, very witty and an absolute joy to read... even if it did have spam in it... and not the meat variety that Monty Python sing about.

jPod hits very close to home for me because I work just a stone's throw away from Electronic Arts in Burnaby. I particularly loved the part where he wrote about the thousands of crows that roost near the Willingdon exit on Hwy 1. In the winter months, when I'm leaving work at dusk, the sky is black with crows.

Never pass up a chance to hear Coupland speak if he's on a book tour, etc. He will always say or do something that will blow your mind and make you laugh out loud.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also loved McEwan's "Saturday".

I had my doubts about this one (all the reviews I read made it sound..weird), but I was pleasantly surprised and ended up really liking it:

12440311.jpg

I went to read more of "Saturday" last night and couldn't find my book anywhere. So, since I got this one in the mail, I decided to start reading it.

13136671.GIF

It's very good and I'll have it finished by this afternoon.

Jason found "Saturday" for me this morning. It was on top of the dryer... :stunned

I went to read more of "Saturday" last night and couldn't find my book anywhere. So, since I got this one in the mail, I decided to start reading it.

13136671.GIF

It's very good and I'll have it finished by this afternoon.

Jason found "Saturday" for me this morning. It was on top of the dryer... :stunned

i keep seeing this in book stores and think to myself "i should read that" and then i wonder if it is the same book that Kidsmoke recommended to me and try to make a mental note to do a search for elephants on the board to find out.

I was skeptical at first. I have never had an interest in the circus at all and wasn't sure if I'd like it. I decided to give it a go since it was mentioned on VC and was quite surprised. I loved it.

I finished it in less than 24 hours. Not bad for a 331 page book when I have 4 kids...

I was skeptical at first. I have never had an interest in the circus at all and wasn't sure if I'd like it. I decided to give it a go since it was mentioned on VC and was quite surprised. I loved it.

I finished it in less than 24 hours. Not bad for a 331 page book when I have 4 kids...

wow. i will definitely give it a read then. if anything simply because it sounds like a book one can devour! that's my favorite kind.

I recently finished John Fante's The Brotherhood of the Grape and want to read Ask the Dust but thought I'd read the Bandini series in order, so...

Half-way through this:

waituntilspring.jpg

And soon to start this (I'm number six-hundred something at the library for the recent one):

KiteRunner_rg.jpg

Beltman: I started that book in the past year on recommendation from a good pal who usually nails it with recommendations for me but just could not get into it. How far are you along and thoughts so far?

Beltman: I started that book in the past year on recommendation from a good pal who usually nails it with recommendations for me but just could not get into it. How far are you along and thoughts so far?

That period of history fascinates me, so a speculative piece about that era, especially one that has potential for modern-day metaphors, is likely to connect with me. I'm only about 50 pages in, but I like it so far... the wealth of details enhances the historical "authenticity" and some of the psychological insights--for example, how Lindbergh's anti-Semitic statements don't just change the way young Philip thinks of his prize stamp, it alters the stamp itself--are very knowing and observant. I'm enjoying the read.

Wanted to chime in on this even though not directed to me -- I thought the book was quite good. Without giving any spoilers, I thought it did a masterful job of showing how a population could turn against a group of people. That was always something that was incomprehensible to me even though I know it has happened many times before in history. Roth makes it seem not so hard to imagine.

There were some parts that I thought were forced or didn't work all that well, but on the whole, it fascinated me.

I loved that book. It's the only Roth I've read, but based on it I'm thinking of trying something else by him.

Years ago I would think about "what if" alternate historical scenarios a lot, just for my own amusement, but I never took them quite as far ... it's a fascinating read.

I read The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon yesterday. I'm taking the day off today since neither Target or the library had the next book I want to read.

You're not going to work because you couldn't find a book? Dang. I want to work there too.

No, not taking the day off of work. I'm a stay at home mom, I don't get days off.

I meant that I was taking the day off from reading, but I ended up reading Cane River by Lalita Tademy anyways.

I meant that I was taking the day off from reading, but I ended up reading Cane River by Lalita Tademy anyways.

Excellent book. I read it two years ago for a book club I organized at school for teachers. I've got her new one, Red River, ready to go soon.