it's gets even darker too. the ending may leave you in tears. extremely powerful.

McCarthy is just a genius. he will stand among the giants when all is said and done - faulkner, mellville, fitzgerald, hemingway, etc.

You are correct. Finished it last night.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just finished:

yellowdog.jpg

I think of myself of a big Martin Amis fan, but now that I think of it, I'm often disappointed when I finish one of his books. Especially this one. I guess I'll just keep re-reading London Fields and stay away from his other books.

Just started:

sex,xdrugs,xandxcocoa.gif

:thumbup

A woman I used to work with missed the news about 9/11 because she was on a canoe trip in the BC wilderness in Sept 2001. That might do it.

You used to work with Jewel?

Just finished:

yellowdog.jpg

I think of myself of a big Martin Amis fan, but now that I think of it, I'm often disappointed when I finish one of his books. Especially this one. I guess I'll just keep re-reading London Fields and stay away from his other books.

I'm like that with Amis' newer books... I love his stuff, but Yellow Dog was a real low point, I really struggled through it. But books like Time's Arrow, Rachel Papers and Money will always ensure I've got a soft spot for him.

But books like Time's Arrow, Rachel Papers and Money will always ensure I've got a soft spot for him.

For me it's London Fields, The Information and Experience. I've read each of those at least 4 times - London Fields more like 6 or 7 times. I'll have to go back and read some of his earlier stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the new ones by Sherman Alexie (Flight) and Chuck P. (Rant) -- oddly enough they were both time travel books.

The Alexie I recommend without hesitation, the Palahniuk only if you're a fan of his particular brand of rabid weirdness (which I am).

Next up is Isabel Allende's Ines of My Soul. Maybe it's a time travel book too. :hmm

Exile on Main St.: A Season in Hell with the Rolling Stones

by Robert Greenfield

shit book - do not bother

The Last Templar

by Raymond Khoury

another Da Vinci Code knockoff

What I would like to read:

Roadwork: Rock and Roll Turned Inside Out

by Tom Wright

The music columnist for Boston's Weekly Dig newspaper is always wise-ass hilarious, but he's outdone himself this week.

Highlights include:

With sorrow in my soul, I regretfully inform you that (+44), the winning half of the Blink 182 wishbone, is hard at work on a second album. Says middle-aged teenager Mark Hoppus: "I think that
I had to read that for an English class in college ages ago......was pretty lukewarm on it.

Really? I'm thinking of assigning it for my US Religious History course. It did win a Pulitzer but maybe it's dated?

Really? I'm thinking of assigning it for my US Religious History course. It did win a Pulitzer but maybe it's dated?

I read it over 10 years ago. So, don't take my word for it. I just remember being pretty bored through it. I know it is held in high regard and, like I said, my teacher loved it. :)

Now that I moved and sit around unemployed, I've been doing well with books:

Just read/reread:

Phillip K. Dick - Blade Runner (1st time I've read this. It was pretty alright.)

Haruki Murakami - After Dark (Seemed very different from his other work. I'm not sure how I felt about it. Kind of boring, but kind of sticking with me)

Don Delillo - White Nosie (Again...)

NR: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (So far, so good)