I'm going to start this book tonight (assuming I can keep my eyes open long enough). I saw an interview with the author, an autistic savant, on 60 Minutes or something similar a week or so ago and the guy was pretty fascinating. I'm not sure how he is as a writer, but it's worth a shot:

tammet_book.jpg

My girlfriend picked that up last weekend but hasn't started it yet... sounded really interesting...

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think The Satanic Verses is next for me, though.

Great book - it's where I got my username. Midnight's Children is also very good, maybe even better than Satanic Verses.

Just started:

0060985046.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

About Yeats and his fascination with the occult. Really interesting so far.

1596431520.jpg

I just finished this. It's this year's winner of the Printz Award, a kind of hipper,older Newbery Award. I'm a school librarian so I kind of had to read it but that aside, it was a really touching, hilarious story about how tough it is to be who you really are.

I'm looking forward to the new Michael Chabon book in a month or so.

I'm looking forward to the new Michael Chabon book in a month or so.

:thumbup me too! Chabon. and a book set in my homeland = awesome

i'm also psyched to read the new Jonathan Lethem novel.

I almost bought the Lethem novel today.

i'm waiting for my pre-order to arrive. (so much for the pre-order concept). my girlfriend has read it though and she loved it.

Great book - it's where I got my username. Midnight's Children is also very good, maybe even better than Satanic Verses.

I actually haven't read Satanic Verses, but I loved Midnight's Children.

I'm about 100 pages into:

200px-Pynchon-Against-the-Day.jpg

I'm enjoying it, but I've been busy and it's slow going for me. Add that to the fact that you can only check out new books for 14 days at a time from our libraries, with no renewals ... and I really don't know how it's going to get finished. It was due on Tuesday.

I just bought What Is the What yesterday, and since everybody's reading it, I won't bother posting yet another picture of the cover. :P I only started reading it last night, but boy, what a departure for Eggers. The narrative is still pretty, um, flitty, for lack of a better word, but he's no longer writing on what feels like a crank-high of pure emotion. The restraint is doing him good so far, I think, although I'm only about 50 pages in at this point.

Other stuff I've read or started to read this week:

a4436af6cd9f46.jpg

Delisle is an idol of mine, a French-Canadian animator and cartoonist whose two major works are comics travelogues of his time spent working on television cartoons produced in Asia. Pyongyang, a rare and uncommonly droll outsider's look at North Korea, was my favourite book of 2005, illustrated or otherwise. I've lost track of how many folks I've recommended it to. Shenzhen is a little more scattershot as these things go, but it was still charming as hell.

200px-BobDylan_Taratula.jpg

UHH. This is different. I bought it only because I'm Bobsessive, and it's no Beautiful Losers, I'll say that. As one who appreciates Dylan's mid-Sixties liner notes, though, I'm enjoying certain passages more than it behooves me to admit.

I went to an event last week at the Chicago Public Library last week that featured Salman Rushdie and Jonathan Lethem. They were supposed to be talking about "Process and Place" but they ended up just answering questions and talking about a range of things. It was wonderful. I'd never seen Rushdie speak before and he was very, very funny.

Just finished this and really liked it:

11344331.jpg

I'm now reading this and enjoying it thus far:

10975216.jpg

I loved Kavalier & Clay. Jay and I picked up 2 books of his short stories today at a book sale.

I'm only about 20 pages into Summerland, but so far it's pretty good. I'm hoping my son will like it too.

Magical Mystery Tours: My Life with the Beatles

Tony Bramwell

It occurs to me that I have been reading Beatle books since I was 12 years old.

This guy worked for them - but I don't think Alice Cooper was hanging out with The Beatles in 1965/1966.