• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am glad you all liked superstud. I found it unreadable.

I am reading Underworld right now and enjoying it. I know some others on the board have recommended this. I guess I just had a bad time with superstud.

My travel reading this weekend:

1587243814.jpg

I can't talk about the plot, because there are surprisey bits, but I can say that I love it love it love it. I've still got about 50 pages left, so it's possible it'll go sour, but I don't think so.

214_jaynes_the_origin_of.jpg

The cover makes it look really bland, but the subject matter is captivating. Jaynes' theory is that the aiodoi, or bards of the Illiad, and also stories in the Old Testament - such as Moses and the burning bush - had no consciousness. Defined by Jaynes, consciousness is the ability to make decisions or introspect - and when the gods spoke to people it was actually themselves making decisions, but they had either visual or aural hallucinations that instructed them in what to do.

He cites many interesting studies conducted on schizophrenics and epileptics (a common "cure" used to be severing the hemispheres of the brain), that is pretty convincing evidence - or at least intriguing reading.

Julian Jaynes is also a psychology professor at Princeton, so he does have some credentials. I don't know if I buy his theory yet (I'm only 150 pages in), but it's very interesting and well written.

Just finished this...it's a great story, very unusual and fascinating. I read until I was bleary-eyed last night, wanting to know how it all turned out. Highly recommended.

AndSheWas_300_450.jpg

Next up, some wonderful books from a certain secret Santa. Oh Boy! :w00t

Jahilia, that Jaynes book looks intriguing! :yes

Mostly, the problem I have with Eggers is that he's sarcastic to the point that I cannot feel empathy for him, even when I want to. I tried to read Heartbreaking Work... multiple times, and I couldn't get past the first thirty pages or so.

Mostly, the problem I have with Eggers is that he's sarcastic to the point that I cannot feel empathy for him, even when I want to. I tried to read Heartbreaking Work... multiple times, and I couldn't get past the first thirty pages or so.

I've read A Heartbreaking Work... and You Shall Know... and I really WANT to like Dave Eggers, but I just don't. I think he's done great things with the tutoring programs he's running across the country, he seems like a very cool guy the few times I've seen him in person, but his books sound to me like they were written by a complete asshole, and I really can't get past that.

And yet the subject matter of this new one wouldn't seem to lend itself to that, so I may go ahead and give him another try anyway. :lol

1932416641.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V49897749_.jpg

i've been :blink'ing the whole time. an amazing, amazing book.

Just finished it. It was phenomenal. Completely different than Eggers other novels. Not a bit of sarcasm to be found. Despite the topic, Sudan, it never plays for sympathy, it is well written with a wonderful voice. Which is actually that of it's subject, Valentino Achak Deng. Really, really fantastic.

Just for the record I love Heartbreaking Work..., but thought Eggers was trying to hard on his others, couldn't finish the second, If you kind of like him, or want to, give this a chance.

9780385512183.jpg

Always wanted to read something by him but haven't, so this will be my first.

Damn. This won't be officially released until March. How did you get an early copy? Are you in the publishing industry?

(I read a little of the Amazon description, and I'm a little leary. I have no middle ground when it comes to books about rock bands.)

I read the new Lethem and liked it a lot, but it hasn't stayed with me the way his previous books have. The main female character reminded me of Mirabelle from Steve Martin's Shopgirl. The music content is interesting and I loved the scene where the band plays their first show.

My favorite of his books remains Fortress of Solitude :wub

Now reading for school:

0670843024.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg