• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

0224072994.jpg

which I'm loving so far. McEwan surely does know how to write an opening scene...

Just finished The Keep by Jennifer Egan.

I've got such an insanely long to-read list at the moment. Saturday is on there, and I still need to read Look At Me by Jennifer Egan!

I just finished this book. The title lured me in when I saw it on the new books shelf at the library. Pretty entertaining and pretty gross too!

11081490.jpg

Oh my god, that looks great! It's my dream to someday attend (as a spectator :P ) the hot dog eating contest at Coney Island.

i'm reading to a god unknown by steinbeck.

i'm reading (or trying to) every steinbeck book. i only have 7 more to go!!

then i have to find a new author!!

i'm reading to a god unknown by steinbeck.

i'm reading (or trying to) every steinbeck book. i only have 7 more to go!!

then i have to find a new author!!

Just read Indubious Battle recently, not that epic that is Eat of Eden, but a great story about a labor strike and some insight in to the communist party movement in America at the time.

Never read Grapes, but is on the list.

Just began 'The places in between' by Rory Stewart.

0224072994.jpg

which I'm loving so far. McEwan surely does know how to write an opening scene...

Read that over the holidays. He's never dissapointed me. I love his slow pace and his attention to detail.

I'm about to start Everything is Illuminated. I thought the film was good so i'm going straight into the book, despite having read half of Foer's second novel and then putting it down.

One of the better movie adaptations out there. Eugene H

Now:

0618718745.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V54473670_.jpg

Really looking forward to this...

I asked for that for Christmas and got it. It's such a good-looking book! Haven't started looking it through yet. The Best American series is just so great overall. We have a lot of the Nonrequired Reading books.

I asked for that for Christmas and got it. It's such a good-looking book! Haven't started looking it through yet. The Best American series is just so great overall. We have a lot of the Nonrequired Reading books.

Still haven't started this yet. It'll probably be until next week when I get around to it.

Here's another one I recently spotted in the bookstore window that I'll probably pick up:

0300111703.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V62132225_.jpg

From Booklist

Editor Brunetti sets himself a daunting task: an overview of the art-comics movement, complete with a handful of the classic newspaper strips that informed today's creators. He finds room for such established veterans as R. Crumb, Lynda Barry, Gilbert and Jaime Hernandez, Daniel Clowes, Gary Panter, and Chester Brown as well as many less-familiar creators. Given the stellar lineup, high points are hard to isolate, yet a consistently brilliant set of tributes to Peanuts creator Charles Schulz by Art Spiegelman, Chris Ware, Seth, and Robert Sikoryak is especially impressive.

Thanks for mentioning the Non Required Reading series...that'll be on the list now too!

after buying two new book last night, i realized i need to stop, because i have 18 lined up right now. eeek. i'm reading nine stories-j.d. salinger right now...definitely a quick read, good read, can read it during my few day break from school reading (which is the primary reason my book list is getting long). i bought The Soft Machine-William S. Burroughs, and A Confedary of Dunces- John Kennedy Toole (been excited about this one forever, i read neon bible like 1 1/2 years ago and loved it.)

I just counted, and I've got 49 books on my waiting-to-be-read stack. Somehow, it never stops me.

0224072994.jpg

Read that over the holidays. He's never dissapointed me. I love his slow pace and his attention to detail.

I'm still reading this, and I'm still stunned at his ability to describe a scene, both the physical scene and the internal dynamic. I think my concept of heaven would have to include Ian McEwan descibing pivotal moments to me.

burns_black_hole.jpg

I've just started this one. Kind of beautiful, kind of creepy (it's supposed to be both).

Thanks for mentioning the Non Required Reading series...that'll be on the list now too!

If you've already put it on your list, this is probably unnecessary :D , but I'm also a big fan of the Non Required Reading series. :thumbup Highly highly highly recommended.

Here's another one I recently spotted in the bookstore window that I'll probably pick up:

0300111703.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V62132225_.jpg

That sounds really good! I definitely like the Hernandez & Clowes stuff so that will probably be worth checking out. So many books, so little time!!!

Okay, Everyman was put on the back-burner for a while, but I did finish Rob Sheffield's Love is a Mix Tape, his memoir about his marriage to his first wife who died suddenly from a pulmonary embolism. If you came of age in the eighties or nineties, there's a lot to like about this. Also, I'm half through with Mary Pipher's new one, Writing to Save the World, which is okay, but I still think that just because someone puts pen to paper, that doesn't automatically grant him the right to call himself a writer. And I read a bit of Freakonomics, but usually I hate these kinds of books. They always leave me feeling as though, according to my upbringing, I should be a welfare mother by now.

0811203220.jpg

And just finished John Fante's Ask the Dust today. Dear lord, that was an excellent book!

right after my own heart! im a henry miller nut, own everything he basically wrote and have made me way through about half of it. the man is just flat out brilliant. Fante i'm also trying to get my toe wet with..i bought wait untill spring...and can't wait to get into it!

10387912.gif

It blows my mind that she actually survived her childhood.

I have about 15 or so books waiting to be read right now. So far this year, I've read O Pioneers by Willa Cather and I'm about 1/2 way through The Glass Castle. I'm slacking!

Jay and I have discovered used book sales. The library in Ann Arbor has an awesome sale and trade paperbacks are only $2. We go every weekend and usually come home with a few books. Most of them are like brand new!