You may be correct. I think the rule is when handwritten, you should underline a word that's supposed to be italicized, unless it's in a title. When printed, it's italicized. Or something. Dammit...

....CALIBER!!!!!

In both APA and MLA, book titles are italicized, but underlining is an acceptable alternative, especially when using a typewriter.

Sorry guys. Beltmann is correct, of course.

I am currently reading:

044021680X.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

and

1402728239.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1135029550_.jpg

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm ploughing my way through In Cold Blood.

I first read In Cold Blood when I was 12, and thought it was great. I recently re-read it because of the Capote movie, and I'm amazed at its brilliance. Geeze, that guy could write.

I'm currently reading

talescover.jpg

which is fun, and

0224072994.jpg

which I'm loving so far. McEwan surely does know how to write an opening scene...

I first read In Cold Blood when I was 12, and thought it was great. I recently re-read it because of the Capote movie, and I'm amazed at its brilliance. Geeze, that guy could write.

The little things are what kill me the most. Like how he uses "snow weighted trees" instead of "snow-covered trees." Damn.

Sorry guys. Beltmann is correct, of course.

I am currently reading:

044021680X.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

:rock

I've read pretty much everything Clavell ever wrote with the exception being Whirlwind after ordering that turd from an out of print book place four years ago, I still haven't gotten past chapter three.

Ooh, what is that?

It's a memoirish story about the early 90's punk scene in DC, told through letters and 'zines. It's pretty dated stuff, but very fun anyway, and accurate, judging by what I observed from the outside edges of it.

The little things are what kill me the most. Like how he uses "snow weighted trees" instead of "snow-covered trees." Damn.

Yes, and that novelistic narrative applied to a true story -- it was pretty danged groundbreaking for 1966.

0806527285.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V50388933_.jpg

This is one of the most interesting/disgusting books I've ever read. I like it.

I need to go to the library and get Kurt Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions. I just read Slaughterhouse V and Bluebeard and feel in love with his work.

I need to go to the library and get Kurt Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions. I just read Slaughterhouse V and Bluebeard and feel in love with his work.

I loved Bluebeard. Read it in college many moons ago....

Along the same vein as Hodie, I started this a few nights ago. It came out a couple of years ago but I couldn't put it down at the book store:

ourband.jpg

It's a book, hayseed.

:lol I just blew a tiny snot bubble!

Just finished The Keep by Jennifer Egan.

NR: The Road, by Cormac. Holy shit! I had Vietnamese food tonight. Don't know if I need to couple that with this nightmare fodder. :ermm

I just read Bluebeard, thought it was great. I love Vonnegut.

I just finished a book called Mountains Beyond Mountains about a doctor that started a clinic in Haiti and has changed the way that public health is conducted in "third-world" countries. Definitely pick it up - this guy is amazing.

I'm starting Life of Pi tonight and hope to get a bio of Ben Franklin in before school starts up again as well.

Bluebeard Reminded me a lot of my cruel tutelage in college working for an artist/professor as his TA and general help...

Our BAnd could be your life is a great book. The Replacements chapter was great as was the Butthole Surfers and the Dinosaur Jr. chapters.

Burlesque and the new bump-n-grind

Baldwin, Michelle

No more sad refrains : the life and times of Sandy Denny

Heylin, Clinton

My brother was a mother

Zappa, Patrice

Here, there, and everywhere : my life recording the music of the Beatles

Emerick, Geoff

Who is my neighbor? : stories

Berry, Minta Sue

Generations : stories

Strange, George

Finished this over the weekend:

1400043875.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V51817555_.jpg

What did you think of it? I was so eager to read it because it got great reviews, but felt ultimately disappointed in it. Then again, I did find myself thinking about it later, so maybe it did get to me.

I just finished this book. The title lured me in when I saw it on the new books shelf at the library. Pretty entertaining and pretty gross too!

11081490.jpg

What did you think of it? I was so eager to read it because it got great reviews, but felt ultimately disappointed in it. Then again, I did find myself thinking about it later, so maybe it did get to me.

I enjoyed it, but my expectations were also pretty low. I'm guessing this will eventually become a big Hollywood blockbuster deal (with a dramatically different ending).

0876854439.jpg

Excellent book. A partial autobiography of his. Bukowski was a huge proponent of his (IIRC, there's a blurb of Bukowski's in the foreward), too, as I'm sure you know. And he was a Colorado (Boulder) native, to boot.

0684838877.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1101629685_.jpg

I recently finished the collection, Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules edited by David Sedaris and the Amy Hempel he included in that (The Cemetery Where Al Jolsen Is Buried) was rather good (a shedding tears kind of good). I am definitely going to have to check out more of her stuff. I've been reading good things about her that lead me to believe she is right up my alley.