• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

0670034827.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Started this months ago, but want to pull it back out and finish it as I am seeing Greg Mortensen speak in a few weeks.....

I am also loving this.....which is a sequel to Rosie which I finished a couple weeks ago.

0385491808.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Christy - I just ordered The Glass Castle - looks really good! Thanks for posting it!

I'm determined to re-start and actually finish this book this year. One of my brothers gave it to me about 5-6 years ago and I've started it at least 4-5 times but I lose steam with it after about 50-75 pages.

Everybody, and I mean everybody, I know who's read this book has great things to say about it.

I've enjoyed the first 50-75 pages even though it's a bit of a struggle to grasp what's happening in the tale. The book gets much better as it goes on, I've been told.

The book is enormous, physically. It has to weigh 5-7 lbs. and is actually hard to hold when reading in bed. It's very long, too, and has fairly small print in the edition I possess. I will no longer allow these issues to stop me from finishing this supposed great piece of literature.

So, this is the year I start and complete David Foster Wallace's:

infinitejest.jpg

I loved Bluebeard. Read it in college many moons ago....

Along the same vein as Hodie, I started this a few nights ago. It came out a couple of years ago but I couldn't put it down at the book store:

ourband.jpg

What great book........ :music

-Robert.

Rob Sheffield's Love is a Mix Tape, his memoir about his marriage to his first wife who died suddenly from a pulmonary embolism. If you came of age in the eighties or nineties, there's a lot to like about this.

I stumbled across this while browsing round the internet last night and it sounds intriguing. It doesn't seem readily available in the UK but the nearest Borders might have an import. I didn't come of age in the 80s or 90s (i don't think i've come of age yet, actually!) but I've always been fascinated by the making and receiving of mixes and the intimacy of them.

I picked up a couple of memoirs last week that I'm going to alternate with the stack of Palahniuk novels my friend has lent me. Augusten Burroughs Running with Scissors and Nick Flynn's Another Bullshit Night in Suck City. It used to be rare for me to drift into the biography section, but since reading Dave Eggers A Heartbreaking Work..., it's made me realise that it can be immensely rewarding...particularly American memoir.

I'm determined to re-start and actually finish this book this year. One of my brothers gave it to me about 5-6 years ago and I've started it at least 4-5 times but I lose steam with it after about 50-75 pages.

Everybody, and I mean everybody, I know who's read this book has great things to say about it.

I've enjoyed the first 50-75 pages even though it's a bit of a struggle to grasp what's happening in the tale. The book gets much better as it goes on, I've been told.

The book is enormous, physically. It has to weigh 5-7 lbs. and is actually hard to hold when reading in bed. It's very long, too, and has fairly small print in the edition I possess. I will no longer allow these issues to stop me from finishing this supposed great piece of literature.

So, this is the year I start and complete David Foster Wallace's:

infinitejest.jpg

I got about 40 pages into Infinite Jest a couple years ago. Never attempted it again. I love David Foster Wallace, but I prefer his short stories to...that tome. Oblivion was great; funny. People talk about his, at times, well, most of the time, turgid prose, but he's really, really funny in small doses.

I have Bird by Bird on my shelf, and have read a little bit of it, but never finished it. I am usually not much of a fiction reader, but do love Anne Lamott's stuff. Her writing is so delicious and relaxing. My favorite, of her fiction, I have read is Blue Shoe. I read it while held up, unable to walk for a few weeks early last year and it was such a soothing book to read.

I loved Rosie and am thoroughly enjoying Crooked Little Heart. It is my bedtime reading, and I look forward to it every night. :)

(sorry, I am too tired to italicize my titles)

I'm a huge Anne LaMott fan. New mothers should absolutely read "Operating Instructions", and I highly recommend all of her books. For spiritual rejuvenation, read either (or both) "Traveling Mercies" and/or "Plan B".....both are beautiful & non-judgemental explorations of trying to live life with a sense of purpose and meaning. She makes me laugh so hard in recognition of how silly and flawed we are as humans, and yet goodness is a thing so worth striving for, even if we fall really short, so very often.

Her books give me hope and make me content to be a clumsy, struggling human being.

infinitejest.jpg

I read this a few years ago and really enjoyed the time spent with it. Definitely not for the casual reader. I was amazed at how Wallace had the patience to write all that. He's obviously very dedicated to his work. Somewhat of a genius you might say.

I'm a huge Anne LaMott fan. New mothers should absolutely read "Operating Instructions", and I highly recommend all of her books. For spiritual rejuvenation, read either (or both) "Traveling Mercies" and/or "Plan B".....both are beautiful & non-judgemental explorations of trying to live life with a sense of purpose and meaning. She makes me laugh so hard in recognition of how silly and flawed we are as humans, and yet goodness is a thing so worth striving for, even if we fall really short, so very often.

Her books give me hope and make me content to be a clumsy, struggling human being.

If it weren't for you, I wouldn't have read so many of her books - You are the one who gave me Blue Shoe :wub

I, too, love Plan B and Traveling Mercies. :yes

My 10 year old just finished this, and said of it, "Awesome. You should read this, mama."

I'll be starting it this weekend.

Being a mom has certain advantages. :)

200px-Lowry_the_giver_cover.jpg

My 10 year old just finished this, and said of it, "Awesome. You should read this, mama."

I'll be starting it this weekend.

Being a mom has certain advantages. :)

200px-Lowry_the_giver_cover.jpg

"Behind him, across the vast distances of space and time, from the place he had left, he thought he heard music too. But perhaps it was only an echo."

Damn. I'm going to have to start reading kid's books more often. What a read.

i've been gone from vc for what seems like forever, but oh how i missed perusing this thread!

i'm currently chipping away at:

B000HWZ34O.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_OU01_SCLZZZZZZZ_V59191506_.jpg

She's one of my favorite authors. Oryx and Crake is a fun read.

Just finished:

0060934980.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a book this much. I finished it (600 pages) in two days, I couldn't put it down. On the surface it's a murder mystery about crack dealers - but the characters are so colorful and the story is so much fun I think I'll be reading this again very soon.

Clockers is a hard book to follow, but I just started

200px-Underworld.jpeg

I've heard great things about it, and started it 3 or 4 times before, but have never gotten very far.

200px-Underworld.jpeg

I've heard great things about it, and started it 3 or 4 times before, but have never gotten very far.

I did the same thing with White Noise, kept starting and never got too far. Finally finished it last year and glad I did. If you ever finish this one let us know if it's worth a go