Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just finished:

knitting.jpg

now reading by the same author:

0767915658.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Hi Kate! :wave

austere%20academy.jpg

Around our house, this is considered the best of the Snickets.

My son wants us to read it at the same time so we can talk about it as we go. I'd have it finished by now, but I need to let him catch up. I'm not used to reading slow...

I do that with my niece, and it is taking us FORVER to read Eragon. I've read about five books in between in the meantime.

I'll have to check this out. I really enjoyed Clockers alot.

0375726349.jpg

I picked this up as an advanced reading copy about 5 years ago and am just now getting around to it. It's not great, but it's kept my interest so far. For some reason, I have three Philip Roth books, but have never read anything by him before.

I remember really liking Goodbye Columbus but it's been awhile, so who knows...

More recently, I thought this was swell enough...

1205.jpg

9780307351579.jpg

I had never been able to finish it since my mom took it and read it when I left it at home, and I got it back and it's just killing me. I'm loving this book, but it's absolutely killing me. I feel like crying half of the time I'm reading it. Amazingly well written, and just completely and totally heartbreaking.

The chapter about Kurt Cobain may be one of the best written pieces I've ever read.

Books like this make me not want to be a writer, because I'm positive I'll never write anything that can match this.

Songbook was okay. I have weird Nick Hornby issues (not unlike my weird Dave Eggers issues. Something about those "perfectly groomed for my generation" writers is a huge turn-off). Generally, I like his non-fiction: essays and whatnot, but I haven't read a novel of his that didn't cause my head to drop. I'm not being sarcastic, really, I fell asleep reading About a Boy.

The Deadhead's Taping Compendium, Volume 1: An In-Depth Guide to the Music of the Grateful Dead on Tape, 1959-1974

The Deadhead's Taping Compendium, Volume II: An In-Depth Guide to the Music of the Grateful Dead on Tape, 1975-1985

The Deadhead's Taping Compendium, Volume III:

166xGeneric.jpg

I'm about a third of the way through, and feel like I'm reading an Outer Limits script. The state of food production in America is frightening. It's no freaking wonder we're growing fat. :hmm

166xGeneric.jpg

I'm about a third of the way through, and feel like I'm reading an Outer Limits script. The state of food production in America is frightening. It's no freaking wonder we're growing fat. :hmm

I heard the CEO of Whole Foods on NPR the other day refuting the stuff that book says about his company.

I heard the CEO of Whole Foods on NPR the other day refuting the stuff that book says about his company.

Oh, I would liked to have heard that interview...wonder if I can find it online.

Pollan calls Whole Foods "Big Organic". I haven't gotten that far in the book. I'm still mucking about in a cattle feed lot in Kansas.

The Deadhead's Taping Compendium, Volume 1: An In-Depth Guide to the Music of the Grateful Dead on Tape, 1959-1974

The Deadhead's Taping Compendium, Volume II: An In-Depth Guide to the Music of the Grateful Dead on Tape, 1975-1985

The Deadhead's Taping Compendium, Volume III:

Man I've been leafing through all three volumes a lot lately. They are well-read and dog-eared

Oh, I would liked to have heard that interview...wonder if I can find it online.

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/shows/2...M200702266.html

My wife started reading Omnivore but moved on to: The Way We Eat: Why Our Food Choices Matter by Peter Singer and Jim Mason

which she's making me read once she's done.

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/shows/2...M200702266.html

My wife started reading Omnivore but moved on to: The Way We Eat: Why Our Food Choices Matter by Peter Singer and Jim Mason

which she's making me read once she's done.

Thanks mister Stewart!

I think these books should be required reading.

Man I've been leafing through all three volumes a lot lately. They are well-read and dog-eared

So far, I have just got the first one. A lot of work went into those books I would say. Funny how the one I am reading is already dated though - all the references to cassette trading.

edit - the other two are in - so I know what I will be reading tonight

I hope to own them at some point.