• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've read A Heartbreaking Work... and You Shall Know... and I really WANT to like Dave Eggers, but I just don't. I think he's done great things with the tutoring programs he's running across the country, he seems like a very cool guy the few times I've seen him in person, but his books sound to me like they were written by a complete asshole, and I really can't get past that.

Sums it up for me too, only I've never seen him in person.

n173436.jpg

Really enjoying the first 100 pages or so.

Basically just picked it up at the bookstore because I needed something new to read, and I had no books that I planned on buying.

Get Safety of Objects next. And if you're not easily offended, The End of Alice.

Hey, have any of you bookworms seen David Sedaris live?

He'll be here in town in April and tix. go on sale next week. I've read most of his work ; (which I thoroughly enjoyed) and was just wondering if this live gig is worth checking out.

He'll be here in town in April and tix. go on sale next week. I've read most of his work ; (which I thoroughly enjoyed) and was just wondering if this live gig is worth checking out.

He's easily my favorite ...what's the term? Reader? Speaker? Anyway, I've never seen him, but I love his recordings. Best voice ever. Fits his writing like a glove. When he comes to town here, the tix disappear in a split second, so I recommend you get on it if you wanna go.

I've read A Heartbreaking Work... and You Shall Know... and I really WANT to like Dave Eggers, but I just don't. I think he's done great things with the tutoring programs he's running across the country, he seems like a very cool guy the few times I've seen him in person, but his books sound to me like they were written by a complete asshole, and I really can't get past that.

I'm on the fence about Eggers, too. I seem to like all the things he's involved with (Might, McSweeney's, various compilations he's put together as editor, and I applaud the above-mentioned tutoring programs and stuff), but his own writing sometimes leaves me a little cold. He's a very good writer, but sometimes perhaps a bit too smartassy for his own good. I'm not sure I'd call him a complete asshole, but he sometimes seems incapable of dropping the smirking attitude, even when his subject matter is otherwise very serious and touching. I never did make it all the way through "A Heartbreaking Work..." and never started "You Shall Know..." I definitely like him more as an editor than a writer, I guess.

As for me, I'm currently reading this:

0553380648.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

YES!

I have seen him twice - once in Kalamazoo State Theater and again in Indianapolis at Clowes Hall (capacity 1500 and 2000 respectively). Both times the venues were sold out.

I LOVE him! Go. He is funny as hell when he reads his own work. Both times I saw him, he spent at least half of the evening reading new pieces, things he's working on, once even a commencement speech he was preparing for Princeton's (read it here) -- the rest you may have heard if you've read everything he's published.

I'm almost finished with Jim Knipfel's Slackjaw. In his twenties, he learned he had retinitis pigmentosa, but it's totally not "sick-lit."

I LOVE that book! He is a great writer. Have you read his other memoirs? Quitting the Nairobi Trio is good, and Ruining it For Everybody is wonderful. I would highly recommend it! :cheers

7674993.gif

Absolutely go. He's so worth it. He'll make you pee your pants!

I LOVE that book! He is a great writer. Have you read his other memoirs? Quitting the Nairobi Trio is good, and Ruining it For Everybody is wonderful. I would highly recommend it! :cheers

7674993.gif

I didn't know he had any others. I'll definitely check them out, though.

Get Safety of Objects next. And if you're not easily offended, The End of Alice.

I'm not sure I how I feel about this book. It has almost no discernable plot, and I'm having the damndest time explaining it to people because I really like her writing style, and I love the characters, but since it has no plot, it feels like it isn't going anywhere and it doesn't seem to be in a terrible rush to get there.

I'm definetly enjoying it though. What are her other books like?

I'm not sure I how I feel about this book. It has almost no discernable plot, and I'm having the damndest time explaining it to people because I really like her writing style, and I love the characters, but since it has no plot, it feels like it isn't going anywhere and it doesn't seem to be in a terrible rush to get there.

I'm definetly enjoying it though. What are her other books like?

This Book Will Save Your Life is definitely not her best. Saftety of Objects is a book of short stories -- she has a few more whose titles I'm blanking out on right now. It was made into a movie a few years back, where they tried to tie all the stories together, and it just ended up being vaguely confusing and disjointed, somehow. End of Alice is creepy, like American Psycho creepy.

You, good sir, just described about six billion books. Try reading Tropic of Cancer. I had to power out a little presentation on it last year and ended up in the no way to describe why I liked it (at least it theory) boat.

B000F3T4IQ.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Never having read Richard Price before this was a pleasant surprise.

I've owned this book for three or four years, bought it used for a couple of bucks because I've always been a closet fan of mysteries and crime drama; (I'm a huge Elmore Leonard buff). Never got around to reading it until now. I was desperate for new reading material.

This is a slow boil mystery and there must be something intriguing about it since I knocked out about half of it's 370+ pages yesterday.

B000F3T4IQ.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I'll have to check this out. I really enjoyed Clockers alot.

0375726349.jpg

I picked this up as an advanced reading copy about 5 years ago and am just now getting around to it. It's not great, but it's kept my interest so far. For some reason, I have three Philip Roth books, but have never read anything by him before.