• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone into football, yes football not soccer, should pick up a copy of this wonderful book all about Dutch football and it's origins.

brilliant%20orange.jpg

I'd like to read me some Chandler. Any recommendations for an RC virgin?

I'd probably start with his first one - The Big Sleep. That and The Long Goodbye are probably his best known. I think he's at his peak with The Lady in the Lake though - you really can't go wrong with any of the three.

I'd probably start with his first one - The Big Sleep. That and The Long Goodbye are probably his best known. I think he's at his peak with The Lady in the Lake though - you really can't go wrong with any of the three.

Gracias.

unthinkable%20thoughts%20of%20jacob%20green.jpg

One of those books I've been meaning to read for the last year or so but have never gotten around to it. It sits their silently judging me as I move past it for other books, so I've finally decided to pick it up and get into it. Not too bad so far, but I'm not far in it at all.

Post Office and One Hundred Years of Solitude are two of my favorite books. Bukowski is blunt and in your face and Garcia Marquez is just a master. After you read One Hundred Years, I highly recommend Love in the Time of Cholera. Equally amazing, but completely different than Solitude. Very subtle.

I am reading

collapse.jpg

Great stuff, really interesting.

A couple of library requests came through today:

Large_H300xW300.jpg

I'd forgotten how much I love Eugene Meatyard's work...

0306815087.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V65791192_.jpg

Only picked through this, but I badly want to like it.

when i was in new york for the new years eve wilco show a meatyard exhibit was up at the photography museum and it was really interesting. i've been wanting to check out that show i'll never forget book is it any good?

After you read One Hundred Years, I highly recommend Love in the Time of Cholera. Equally amazing, but completely different than Solitude. Very subtle.

I've never read One Hundred Years, but I second the Love in the Time of Cholera recomendation. One of my favorite books of all time.

when i was in new york for the new years eve wilco show a meatyard exhibit was up at the photography museum and it was really interesting. i've been wanting to check out that show i'll never forget book is it any good?

It was okay. I'm glad I didn't buy it though. I thought some of the essays could have been a bit longer, a few of them run only a couple pages. And let's face it, many of them were "before my time" which should have meant nothing, but hey, I'm a child of the eighties and nineties.

I am about 150 pages in and really enjoying it. It is pretty intense.

i have that in my pile of books to read. i can't wait. i loved You Shall Know Us By Our Velocity

It's time for....

MOBY DICK!

Really.

I was assigned to read this in college and surprised myself in completing it (as well as the Brothers Karamazov, another tome with heft). I really enjoyed it, too. I've always been a big fan of books involving the sea (pirate tales, true story sea adventures, etc.) and love the whole New England whaling lore. The book's a bit verbose with details at times, but Melville does an outstanding job accurately conveying the art of whaling in his tale. If you haven't read it before, my advice is to forge through the dry parts. It's worth it.

I'm going to start this book tonight (assuming I can keep my eyes open long enough). I saw an interview with the author, an autistic savant, on 60 Minutes or something similar a week or so ago and the guy was pretty fascinating. I'm not sure how he is as a writer, but it's worth a shot:

tammet_book.jpg

I've always been a big fan of books involving the sea (pirate tales, true story sea adventures, etc.)

0156029669.01._BO2_204_203_200_PIsitb_dp_500_arrow_TopRight_45__64_OU01_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I just finished a book called "Star of the Sea" by Joseph O'Conner. I really good read. It's a historical novel that comments on politics and class; partially being set in Ireland during the potato famine. Sounds like a slog, but there's are murderous underpinnings.

I just started Madison Smartt Bell's Anything Goes. (To lazy to Google a picture.)

I had a brief obsession with novels about the "rock 'n' roll" lifestyle last year. (I possibly have archived a bunch of those reviews on my site.) They tend to be fantastic or entirely clich