• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still working on The Satanic Verses. I am enjoying the story, but for whatever reason it's not grabbing me. I don't feel compelled to pick it up all the time...

Haven't read this one but I recently finished Fury by Rushdie. He's obviously a bright man but I didn't like how he overtly comes out and tells you what's happening in relation to plot and character development. Instead of keeping the text subtle he reveals all his tricks. At least in Fury he did.

I think he writes very well, and the little interjections of Indian/Muslim culture and stream of consciousness asides are great. I really feel like I should be much more invested in the book than I am, but couldn't for the life of me tell you why I'm not. :hmm

I think he writes very well, and the little interjections of Indian/Muslim culture and stream of consciousness asides are great. I really feel like I should be much more invested in the book than I am, but couldn't for the life of me tell you why I'm not. :hmm

I felt the same way about Midnight's Children. And I can't explain it either.

indulged in a little fun reading on top of the other stuff - just finished this up

Book-Kaku.jpg

loved it. :thumbup

I kind of liked Kite Runner, but not in a way that would make me ever read his other stuff. Unless you say I should read his other stuff. And by other stuff I mean this, which, to the best of my knowledge, is his only other book.

I loved The Kite Runner - sure, it's not complex, hoity toity fiction - but I think he is a great storyteller.

I think I liked this one even more - particularly because the story revolves around two women in Afghanistan and moves through the Soviet occupation, subsequent civil war and the Taliban. I have a lot of interest in women's lives in Afghanistan (I worked on a campaign in the mid 90's to bring to light the plight of women under the Taliban) and, while this is indeed fiction, he said he based his characters on women he met in Kabul when he returned a few years ago.

And no, he doesn't have any other books - this is his second one.....and I think it may be a better book.

1400044944.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Not what I was expecting at all (the review I listened to made it sound like some hardboiled Japanese mystery), but not bad. The translation is awkward at times, but the way the story is told is interesting. On the surface, it's about the murder of two prostitutes, told by the older sister of one of them. Yuriko (the dead prostitute) always possessed a monstrous beauty, but the jealousy the older sister feels has turned her into a monster as well. Actually, everyone in the book is grostesque in their own way, and they all blame their horrible actions on other people. I'm about halfway through, but I expect to finish it tonight.

I read both of these recently. The Chabon was really good, but didn't come close to Kavalier and Clay caliber for me. I liked the Powers book a lot. I'd not read him before.

12434857.gif

12128440.gif

Next up I'm reading this:

12661351.gif

finn1.jpg

Finished Finn last night. I really enjoyed this book. Clinch does a nice job of not stepping on Twain's toes but still respecting the masterpiece of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by keeping time lines, previous character developments, etc. accurate. It really is independent from Huck Finn as it's the story of Huck's pap, Finn. Chock full of symbolism and written with a keen eye for detail and the dialect of the times. I'll read it again in a few years.

Will read a chapter of each of these tonight and opt on one to focus on:

The new Christopher Hitchens book. I think the guy is pretty damn intelligent but am not sure if this is what I want for vacation in the mountains starting this weekend. Seems pretty heady:

hitchens.jpg

Never read any Klosterman. Seems pretty light and fun, but not very challenging either:

chuckK.jpg

Never read any Fante, either, but have been told I'd really dig him. I picked this up at the library yesterday. He's got a series (the Bandini quartet, I think it's called) that's supposed to be quite good, but the library didn't have the first one so I opted for this:

fante.jpg

Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix

Also just got The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay from the library, and have been lazily reading Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential at bedtime.

Just got an email that a copy of What is the What is waiting for me at the library. Damn. When it rains...