Endless Wire

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm closing my eyes, crossing my fingers and holding my breath. Please don't let it suck.

I'm with you. Even if it was just ok, as long as it didn't suck all together.

It is growing on me. Quick thoughts: "A Man in a Purple Dress" is top-notch acoustic song; there is a Tom Waits-like vocal by Pete on one song ("In the Ether") that at first left me scratching my head but is now working for me; and the songs "Endless Wire" and Tea & Theatre" are also worthy of finding their way on to a future home mix of Who songs.

I like it more than Face Dances & It's Hard, probably since my personal expectations for those two albums were so high at the time.

Final assessment: get it.

I have't heard it, but my prediction is that it will be just like every Stones, McCartney, etc. album to come out in the last ten years. Not as bad as I had feared on first listen, but pretty cheesey. Less interesting on second listen with fear creeping in that this may not be a keeper. Third listen, boring. Never listened to again.

I will give it a shot though. I really want this to be good, and frankly, don't understand how it isnt a foregone conclusion that it will be great. I mean, really. Townshend is a genius for crying out loud. But McCartney and the Stones suck now, so I guess it is what it is. Oh well.

I have't heard it, but my prediction is that it will be just like every Stones, McCartney, etc. album to come out in the last ten years. Not as bad as I had feared on first listen, but pretty cheesey. Less interesting on second listen with fear creeping in that this may not be a keeper. Third listen, boring. Never listened to again.

I take it you haven't heard Chaos And Creation In The Backyard, because that's one of the best albums of the past 5 years, and is probably one of the 3 best McCartney solo albums.

I take it you haven't heard Chaos And Creation In The Backyard, because that's one of the best albums of the past 5 years, and is probably one of the 3 best McCartney solo albums.

I've heard it. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks I guess. Didn't like it. But then, I have never been a big solo McCartney guy. A little too precious for me. I think Paul needed John and vice versa.

I am frankly stunned that you think its one of the best albums of the last 5 years, but hey, it seems like you and I dont agree on much other than Wilco. :D

EDIT: and as proof that I am not just on a high horse here about solo McCartney, I have always had a sweet spot in my heart for Flowers in the Dirt. Not sure why, but I think Elvis pushed him in a way that John used to. The songs are meatier to me on that album.

Edited by MattZ

i've heard it.

and while it's not a bad record, it wouldn't be too high up there in terms of Paul's solo records (compared to the latest few, sure it's a lot better). and def not one of the better albums i've heard even in the last year. sorry :)

i'm a huge Macca fan, but I didn't really love it either. Like Kyle said, much better than some recent ones.

I think he should try making one with his new band.

Rick Ruben, you out there ?

He working on the next Metallica album.

Billboard.com:

September 08, 2006, 10:05 AM ET

U2 is working on material for its next studio album with producer Rick Rubin, according to the band's Web site.

Excellent. Another U2 album for me to totally ignore.