That new song of his that plays during every commercial break during every football game is just the most dreadful piece of pseudo-patriotic schlock since Lee Greenwood. Between that and his boring and horrifically overplayed cover of "Wild Night" with that bald bassist chick, he is now officially dead to me.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That new song of his that plays during every commercial break during every football game is just the most dreadful piece of pseudo-patriotic schlock since Lee Greenwood. Between that and his boring and horrifically overplayed cover of "Wild Night" with that bald bassist chick, he is now officially dead to me.

I concur,heartily! He's always been WAY overplayed here but that new shit is just too much.Maybe he should go out next summer w/ Toby Keith. :barf

I agree. This is awful.

I knew exactly what this thread was about the minute I saw the words John Mellencamp.

NBC is the worst offender for playing these spots over and over again; ( I swear to God I think at times they play it back to back).

Of course it's really General Motors who's at fault here: Shades of the thirty five year old "Like a Rock" campaign.

Mellencamp probably hates it himself by this point.

From mellencamp.com:

"Chevrolet Partners with John Mellencamp for "Our Country. Our Truck." 2007 Silverado Advertising Campaign

Chevrolet has announced plans for a multi-media marketing campaign in support of their all-new, 2007 Silverado full-size pickup.

The television advertising features new music from American music legend John Mellencamp. Mellencamp's "Our Country" anthem combines the power of his convictions with the essence of the American experience to provide the perfect backdrop for the new Silverado campaign. Mellencamp fans, who've had the good fortune to catch John in concert over the past year or so, should be familiar with the song which he's included in his recent performances.

John commented about the song and about his working with Chevrolet: "About a year ago, I wrote this song to tell a story about some of the challenges our country faces and how our beliefs and ideals can help us meet them. This partnership with Chevy - an American company that is creating jobs and supporting our communities - makes perfect sense for a song that is all about standing up for the working people who are the backbone of our nation."

An extension of the "An American Revolution" campaign, the new Silverado advertising, themed "Our Country. Our Truck.", embodies the spirit of the American pickup owner and reinforces Chevy's position as the maker of the most iconic trucks on the road.

John filmed his appearance for the Silverado television commercials last week in and around Savannah, GA, while simultaneously filming the music video for "Our Country." John's new album - his first of original music since 2001, planned for release in early 2007 - includes "Our Country," which is set to be released to radio in the upcoming weeks.

John's song, as part of the Silverado's launch campaign, will be heard in Chevy's sponsorship of the World Series, the Country Music Awards and NBC's new Sunday Night Football in America with a 90-second opening spot celebrating America's passion for the game set to "Our Country."

Notes John, "I am also hopeful that this partnership will help promote this song so more people will have a chance to hear it and get to think about its message of hope and tolerance. I write songs for people to hear them and am always glad to find ways to reach a broader audience."

Chevrolet's marketing efforts include a caravan of Silverados from across the generations on a three-day journey to Camden, New Jersey, site of this year's Farm Aid. Chevy Silverado's "Drive for Farm Aid" will make three stops for street parties in Nashville, Indianapolis and Pittsburgh. Along the way, the caravan will raise funds for Farm Aid and collect non-perishable food items for local food banks. Farm Aid is an organization whose mission is to "Keep America Growing" and John Mellencamp is one of its founding fathers.

Special guests on "Our Country" are Little Big Town, the hit country vocal group who appeared as the opening act on the Spring 2006 Words & Music Tour. John brought them up nightly to sing their four-part harmonies on "Pink Houses" and was so impressed by their vocals that he called on them when it was time to cut "Our Country."

To read the full Chevy campaign press release, please click here.

Notes John, "I am also hopeful that this partnership will help promote this song so more people will have a chance to hear it and get to think about its message of hope and tolerance. I write songs for people to hear them and am always glad to find ways to reach a broader audience."

Or make people so sick of it that they'll never buy another Mellencamp album ever. Which is about where I was halfway through the World Series.

i'll defend Coug's output from like '92 back to the death

anything since then however, i can take it or leave it (mostly leave it)

Much of it is highly leaveable, although I have guilty pleasure every time Key West Intermettzo comes on the radio.....

LouieB