Now Playing. From 20th November 2006.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent heard it yet, but was put off as soon as I heard the word "Megamix". Instantly I thought of the Grease megamix, or worse, Jive Bunny.

What's that ACTUALLY like? All the reviews I've read have raved about it, but I just don't get what it's all about...

The "megamix" characterization is a bit unfair, if only because of the negative connotations that epithet brings.

Basically, the Martins have found ways to blend certain songs together in ways that usually make some kind of sense, at least sonically. The material that's flown in from other songs is done so seamlessly, and often I find myself nodding at how well it works. Not every combination works, but overall I'd say that it's very tastefully and lovingly executed by the only man I'd trust to do this sort of thing right.

The overall effect is a kind of greatest-hits album on steroids, yet it all sounds pretty fresh, because of the way so many of the songs have been reimagined and adorned/blended/supplemented with tracks from other songs.

Is it something I'll listen to a lot? Probably not. Though one thing that will get me to queue it up once in a while is the fantastic sound quality -- these songs have never sounded so pristine.

The one thing I haven't really liked so far: George Martin's string arrangement to accompany the demo(?) version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps."

I'd say the All Music Guide review is spot-on about its strengths and weaknesses.

If nothing else, I'm now really curious to see what the Cirque show will be like.

Definitely... I just don't understand why it's been done... other than to fill up the pockets of some record companies before christmas.

:lol Did you miss the part of Cirque du Soleil?

Got sent this to review over the weekend, getting its first play now:

B000IU3Y3W.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V36643469_.jpg

After reading a couple of thoughts on it on these very boards, I was a little worried but I've been impressed. Great sound, even if Neil's vocals are a bit shakey... I don't know a great deal about the Crazy Horse period of Young's career, perhaps I should investigate more!

Got sent this to review over the weekend, getting its first play now:

B000IU3Y3W.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V36643469_.jpg

After reading a couple of thoughts on it on these very boards, I was a little worried but I've been impressed. Great sound, even if Neil's vocals are a bit shakey... I don't know a great deal about the Crazy Horse period of Young's career, perhaps I should investigate more!

I like it lots although I admit I'm a terrible fan-boy.

If you dig this one check out "Tonights the Night". Probably my favorite NY record.

This one also has another live version of "Come On Baby Let's Go Downtown" with Danny Whitten on vocs.

NP:

B000GUK0HM.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V41784768_.jpg

silverhearts4.jpg

Well, I never know where I may go on an evening

I just hit the road and roll

I see waves from the sea come crashing to the shoreline

I see people pilling people up like things

When I find that my way is just getting weary

Then I'll sit down at the right hand of my lord

I'll sit down at the right hand of my lord'

Top 10 fer me.