Awesome show. Wilco never cease to amaze me. One new new song (Devil in My Thoughts??) which had to be stopped and restarted because it has a funky rhythm. Sunken Treasure still can bring down the house with a full band. It was nice seeing ms yvon, bri, and all those other people in front of me and my sister. One of you guys has the full set, so I'll let you do it. I still can't get over shaking Tweedy's hand during Humminbird....my personal highlight. Oh, and in case you were wondering, WALKEN IS THE ROCKINGEST SONG EVER!!!!!! What. a. night.

From the setlist:

Hell is Chrome

Shot in the Arm

Handshake Drugs

Shake It Off

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

Impossible Germany

Muzzle of Bees

Company in my Back

Sunken Treasure

Airline to Heaven

What Light

Jesus Etc.

Walken

Theologians

I'm the Man Who Loves You

First encore:

War on War

Late Greats

Let's Not Get Carried Away

Kingpin

Second encore:

Hummingbird

Is That the Thanks I Get? (it was "California Stars" on the setlist, but I guess popular demand edged it out)

Heavy Metal Drummer

U-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-A-B-L-E

Chicago - you're in for a treat.

What Light was the song dedicated to John's new baby...I think he said her name was Grace, but I could be wrong.

Late Greats was dedicated to Detholtz, the openers. What an honor! I actually kind of liked them, especially because they were honest about just hyping Wilco the whole time...nice work.

Best moment of the night: Tweedy goofing around and claiming that he was earning star power points for Guitar Hero!

Sunken Treasure full on electric was fantastic.

The new song, "I'm Gonna Shake It Off" - or whatever you want to call it - was amazing.

Is that the Thanksgiving I get? Yes, yes it is...

Goodnight VC, can't wait to hear the recording.

Just something quick before I fall asleep (like Paul and Evonne in my living room right now!) but I had so much fun tonight. It was an excellent show with a lot of goofy fun moments (and some sweet moments too). Major congratulations to John and his wife. And "Impossible Germany" is such a beautiful song, which I realized all over again tonight. I never thought I'd see Wilco play the Barrymore, so this was amazingly cool for me. (Really neat poster, too.) I'm thrilled that some out-of-towners made it, and gave me the chance to finally host rock tourists in my very own city! I hope you had as good a time as I did.

My mom will be seeing her first show on Friday at the Aud, but I kind of wish she could have made it up for this one.

Kingpin was dedicated to Detholtz, the openers. What an honor! I actually kind of liked them, especially because they were honest about just hyping Wilco the whole time...nice work.

Kingpin was not dedicated to Detholtz....the song dedicated to them was actually Late Greats. Kingpin was announced as a "new song". :D

Great show...but the crowd energy was not quite as good as I thought it would be.

There was also some funny banter about "how's your foot?" (Carry over from Milwaukee).

Just want to say what a great night last night was. "Muzzle of Bees" is a very special song to me and one I haven't heard live in awhile. The new material sounds strong. I thought the band was in fine form and Chicago should be awesome. The Barrymore is one heck of a little venue and having WILCO there was a real treat. $3.50 refills on top notch beers was an added bonus!! Hurry up Saturday night :beer

looks a little short to me too, but thats probably standard length

Geek alert!!!

According to http://wilcobase.com, shows this year have averaged 21.1 songs/show. Even if you just look at the shows in October (to take out any short festival sets over the summer), the average for those was 21.4. So this show, at 22, looks pretty average.

God, I love wilcobase. :dancing

Also, the "funky rhythm" on the new song: is that like a funk funky rhythm, or (I'm guessing from the "stopping and restarting" comment) more of a weird funky rhythm? The public demands answers! :monkey

Oh, and of course: :monkey Congrats to the Stirratts! Yay babies!

And one more:

Just something quick before I fall asleep (like Paul and Evonne in my living room right now!) but I had so much fun tonight. It was an excellent show with a lot of goofy fun moments (and some sweet moments too)... I never thought I'd see Wilco play the Barrymore, so this was amazingly cool for me. (Really neat poster, too.) I'm thrilled that some out-of-towners made it, and gave me the chance to finally host rock tourists in my very own city! I hope you had as good a time as I did.

Jealous! :upset

Also, the "funky rhythm" on the new song: is that like a funk funky rhythm, or (I'm guessing from the "stopping and restarting" comment) more of a weird funky rhythm? The public demands answers!

Indeed.

My first thought was something in the "Higher Ground" by Stevie Wonder vein. You know, "funky" in the "my feet smell bad from that jog" kind of funky.

In other words....a rockin' funky or a Polka-like funky?

Funky.

Ha, though it might have been fitting for Wisconsin, I wouldn't really call it a polka-like funky song. I really, really suck at describing songs, but Glenn does some odd drum things (the kind of things we love him for) ... anyway, Heidi, you're probably the only one who might find this useful but it was the "Cat Power" song we heard a muffled soundcheck version of in Latrobe.

Kingpin was announced as a "new song". :D

Actually, I believe that was The Kingpin, named by Nels. ;)

Maudie, we were wishing you were there. We had to settle for celebrating the honorary Midwestern version of your birthday in your absence.

Here's a mp3 teaser of Shake It Off, I can only leave it up for a few hours because of bandwidth limitations on my end, so save it to your HD. If anyone wants to host it themselves feel free.

I'll torrent this here as soon as I can, probably within a few days. I will be taping Friday's show also, don't know yet about Saturday I still have to find tickets good enough to tape from. I was out of town when they went on sale... :(

anyway, Heidi, you're probably the only one who might find this useful but it was the "Cat Power" song we heard a muffled soundcheck version of in Latrobe.

To be exact, the very beginning reminds me of Cat Power's "American Flag," but that's about the extent of it.

Obviously, we didn't get the "Colon Song," but we did enjoy a loose, low-key set without the tenseness of last month's "punching" incident hanging over everyone's head. The Barrymore is easily one of the great places to see a show with old friends, and Madison has charm to spare. :cheers

This sounds like an excellent appetizer to the shows Fri and Sat. Looking forward to running into all you peeps.

Friday I will be with my 8 year old at his first concert. YAY!