Underated Songwriters-Pt 2.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before the forum went down there was the cool thread of underated songwriters. I thought of another one today-

Billy Corgan. His lyrics and melodies are some of the best ever, especially the lyrics....

i love billy. i thought his solo album was great, especially the beegees cover.

i've got conor oberst on my list, even though he's been said to be the next dylan, everyone i know hates him.

What's wrong with you? Corgan's solo album blew a fucking donkey dick. It was the worst thing he ever touched, including MACHINA. I believe that he's underated in relation to his 90's peers but not in regards to his solo album.

i think you blow fucking donkey dick. whats wrong with you for not comprehending the fact its an opinion.

What's wrong with you? Corgan's solo album blew a fucking donkey dick. It was the worst thing he ever touched, including MACHINA. I believe that he's underated in relation to his 90's peers but not in regards to his solo album.

For the record, I love the solo disc AND thought Machina was fantastic. How can anyone say the songs on Machina aren't great, if overproduced. Now, would I love to hear the demos to those-hell yes. The solo disc is one of the reasons I thought of him and this thread. Talk about an underrated disc. Unfortunatly, I'm sure the public responce to it is the main reason he felt he should put The Pumpkins name back out there, which is just kind of sad.

I just think it's weird that as huge as they were and with so many new bands obviously influenced by them, you never hear people talk about The Pumpkins.

i think you blow fucking donkey dick. whats wrong with you for not comprehending the fact its an opinion.

Welcome to the internets asshole. You'll do well here. I hope that the most horrible things in life happen to you and only you.

Welcome to the internets asshole. You'll do well here. I hope that the most horrible things in life happen to you and only you.

If napolean sees the sarcasm in your post, he's laughing his ass off as I am now.

If not, he's creating a voodoo doll with your name and features on it right now.

lol.

People just need to lighten up.

Im a HUGE corgan and pumpkins fan, i've even got to hang out with corgan more than a few time's and i still think his solo album is a load of dung.Here we have one of the greatest songwriters of the 90's and a awesome guitar player and he goes and makes a fuckin' techno record.I couldnt fuckin believe it.I love all thing's done by the pumpkins but once he came out with the solo album i had to say to myself "what the fuck is he doing?". If anything he should have given us a nice cd full of acoustic song's as i've always loved the solo acoustic demos and such.Not this is an opinion coming from someone who has over 900 live show's of the pumpkins and all their demo's they've done.Zwan was 100% better than the solo cd!

Im a HUGE corgan and pumpkins fan, i've even got to hang out with corgan more than a few time's and i still think his solo album is a load of dung.Here we have one of the greatest songwriters of the 90's and a awesome guitar player and he goes and makes a fuckin' techno record.I couldnt fuckin believe it.I love all thing's done by the pumpkins but once he came out with the solo album i had to say to myself "what the fuck is he doing?". If anything he should have given us a nice cd full of acoustic song's as i've always loved the solo acoustic demos and such.Not this is an opinion coming from someone who has over 900 live show's of the pumpkins and all their demo's they've done.Zwan was 100% better than the solo cd!

But Zwan sounded exactly like the Pumpkins so when I heard that I felt like what was the point. At least his solo disc was him trying to do something different. Why would you want him to do the same old same old? Or any band for that matter.

Now what I would love to hear are all those acoustic/electric Zwan songs he recorded. I know the Zwan show I saw he played maybe one song that actually made the disc. The rest I've never heard again. Are those out there anywhere?

The rest I've never heard again. Are those out there anywhere?

Nope (not in studio form, the shows are out there), they haven't either leaked or just weren't recorded. Only Number of the Beast is out there (on the lyric or honestly single, not sure which one though). Apparently, a lot of songs were recorded but most only in demo form. Before they broke up, they were just entering the studio to make a Djali Zwan album, which I assume is the show you saw. Many of the songs that he intended for the Djali record were supposed to go on his Chicago album that was never released/finished. In any event, the Djali album was supposed to have been a more collaborative effort with more input from Pajo, Swaney, et al.

I, like GutenAbend, am/was a mega-Pumpkin fan. Though I didn't have quite 900 shows, I did have a couple of hundred and all the demos and stuff. Zwan was a great idea and wish he could have kept it together but he couldn't.

Here it comes again.....

wait for it....

Neil Diamond.

Seriously, the man has written loads of great tunes (both for himself and others) but gets shrugged off because he's "Neil Diamond." I quite enjoy a lot of Neil's music, though some of it really blows.

Neil Diamond.

Seriously, the man has written loads of great tunes (both for himself and others) but gets shrugged off because he's "Neil Diamond." I quite enjoy a lot of Neil's music, though some of it really blows.

I agree. Though he is also the author of some of the worst lyrics in history.

For example:

I am, I said

To no one there

And no one heard at all

Not even the chair

:lol

I agree. Very underrated. I was lucky to have been exposed to lotsa Zappa when I was growing up. My friend was a total Zappa head. FZ was a great guitarist too. You must already know that though. B)

If we're talking about songwriters to include music/instrument composition, then I concur. If we're talking in the simplistic sense of lyrics, absolutely not. Now, I love Zappa (one of my first concerts in 1980, Hartford, CT) and grew up listening to him.

Obviously, an astounding guitarist. He was a master at orchestrating his ever-changing band and having them trained to switch direction in a jam/tune with the flick of a baton or the raising of a finger. He was brilliant that way and demanded a lot of the folks that played in his various incarnations. His musical compositions (whether with lyrics involved or not) were generally very complex, in an orchestral vein.

If we're talking about lyrics, though.....c'mon. His lyrics were always secondary to the instruments and were, for the most part, goofy and non-sensical.