• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how can bringing in the worlds most talked about athlete not bring attention to MLS?? I personally think that this is the sort of boost the MLS has long been awaiting. If it generates ratings then it generates profits for clubs. Therefore we can afford to keep good athletes in the MLS instead of having them play over in the EPL once they gain popularity. I am not saying that having Beckham come to the US will really have that much impact on the league, but it will at least get people talking about it. I goto school in Wisconsin and 3/4ths of the people I talk to don't even know that MLS exists.

how can bringing in the worlds most talked about athlete not bring attention to MLS?? I personally think that this is the sort of boost the MLS has long been awaiting. If it generates ratings then it generates profits for clubs. Therefore we can afford to keep good athletes in the MLS instead of having them play over in the EPL once they gain popularity. I am not saying that having Beckham come to the US will really have that much impact on the league, but it will at least get people talking about it. I goto school in Wisconsin and 3/4ths of the people I talk to don't even know that MLS exists.

I don't think the initial attention is going to have any real impact on the popularity of professional soccer here. I could be wrong.

People have been pointing to various things as the "big break" soccer has needed for years, and none of them have really made an impact. Plus, isn't this guy more famous for being married to a Spice Girl than he is for his play? I see this making more of an impact on the National Inquirer, if anything.

The daughter of my Algebra II teacher, who used to substitute for her mother (and others) from time to time, and who was SMOKIN hot (the daughter, not the mother), is married to John Harkes.

edit: I realize this has no relevance to anything, which is pretty much how I feel about MLS. ;)

Americans are generally quite apathetic toward soccer it seems, but my next-door neighbor is from Poland, and one of my favorite things to do is watch soccer with him in his liquor store... World Cup, Euro, Champions League, Premiership... he sheds so much light on every aspect of the game, has made me a huge fan, and the free beer doesn't hurt either.

News Flash: People do not care about soccer in the United States.

That's because Americans are, for the most part, idiots.

Beckham will boost attendance numbers for Galaxy matches next season (home, and especially away), but won't necessarily do much for other matches. However, the recent rule change allowing these big-money signings will bring a few more burnt-out international stars into the MLS and help to increase attendance elsewhere too. Beckham is just the first such signing.

Personally, I think Beckham's next to useless on the pitch these days, but he is a media sensation and that will sell some tickets. I suspect his signing with L.A. was mostly a way to get himself and Posh to southern California, where they can perpetuate the delusion that they somehow matter.

youth soccer has been the most popular sport amongst kids since the early 90s. Most highschools in the 50s and 60s didnt even have highschool soccer teams. In ten years when this generation is going to be adults I can easily see soccer taking over hockey or basketball as a pasttime sport to watch. Theres a bar around here that plays FSC on the HDTVs ...I fricken love it.

...and yes, I who wouldn't mind seeing posh in maxim and stuff and every other american mens magazine. SHES FRICKEN SMOKING!

Pele played in NY. People still don't care about soccer here.

But they did, back when Pele played. Then interest waned again.

If you haven't seen Once in a Lifetime: The Extraordinary Story of the New York Cosmos, it's kinda interesting.

Beckham isn't the same kind of figure as Pele, and I doubt he'll have as profound an effect, but soccer is also a bit further along now than it was in the '70s.