I'm a big fan of Ray's music and I would highly recommend getting the first one as well. :yes

The first one is a "go to" album for me. Love it. Gotta love the soulfulness of it. :music (Something about his voice reminds me of another favorite, legendary artist, Otis Redding.) :)

His more recent one I find I have to be in the right mood to want to listen straight through (I do love depressing music...but yes second album is a bit darker, more mellow than the first to be sure.)

Was just listening to "Three More Days" this a.m. That song probably resembles Ray's first album more than anything else on 'Til The Sun...

• 9 months later...
Trouble is waaaaaay better

I kind of disagree. I think all the orchestration and textures on Till the Sun Turns Black are really great. They are both really solid albums, but I like his 2nd effort a lot better. The guy has a voice that really knocks you off your feet.

Till the Sun Turns Black has quite a few great songs on it, but I think Trouble is more consistent. He's a terrific songwriter, and I like that most of his songs are so simple but so beautiful. Jolene is one of the prettiest songs I've ever heard. I also really love an unreleased song called I Won't Be Around. I've got a few poor quality live versions of it, but I'm hoping he puts it on his next album.

I also prefer "Trouble", but they're both great.

He's excellent in concert. I saw him last December. I knew very little about him before that show. He blew me away. That voice ... :wub

He's profiled in an Annie Leibovitz photo piece on folk stars in Vanity Fair, I was reading it at my stepmom's place tonight. Hadn't heard of him before.

HIGHLY recommend him.

He's a part of the Ethan Johns mafia. (And it may be me...but he reminds me just a bit of Ryan Adams).

This is going to look like shameful promoting of my friend's music but hear me out. I get a voicemail from La* one day, who is out shopping, and I hear this singer in the background and she says "It sounds like they are playing Adam Fitz!" No, it was Ray Lamontagne! The similarities are a little weird, but certainly not intentional.

If you are so inclined, check him out: http://www.myspace.com/adamfitz

He's opening for Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings here in Chicago.