Brian Eno is producing the new Coldplay album

On the day the third album came out, I went to Target to pick up some stuff and I, no lie, saw at least a dozen very attractive 20-somethings clinging to this album within the five minutes I was in the store. I nearly cried.

Attractive people? Screw that, count me out :)

I remember picking up an album called Parachutes when it first came out because Rolling Stone had given it 3 1/2 stars and mentioned Travis, Radiohead, and U2 in the opening paragraph. I remember liking it for the most part, thinking the song Sparks was the gem of them all. Then I saw that they had a video for the song Yellow on VH1 and MTV and the music snob and elitist in me (c'mon, there's little in us all) didn't know how to take it. Then another video came out for the song Trouble, and then they won a grammy.

Then their new album came out and got raving reviews. I picked it up and really liked it. I especially liked God Put A Smile On Your Face and the Scientist. I remember thinking, though, that sonically they had taken their sound as far as it could go without repeating themselves, and the only way they could grow was to improve the lyrics and perhaps take down the arena rock sound and go back to the jazzy folk-rock arrangements.

Sadly, I happened upon a leaked verion of XY and found all but two songs to be completely unbearable. I thought Fix You worked despite some of the worst opening lyrics ever, and To Kingdom Come was a gem. But I have yet to be able to listen to the entire album from start to finish without cringing. I thought it was their worst album by far.

Unless Brian Eno can improve the lyrics, I have no reason to believe that I will enjoy the new album anymore than their last album. The only chance I had was if the general public rejected XY, but it still sold a ton of records. Oh well (I still like Travis).

• 4 years later...

I remember picking up an album called Parachutes when it first came out because Rolling Stone had given it 3 1/2 stars and mentioned Travis, Radiohead, and U2 in the opening paragraph. I remember liking it for the most part, thinking the song Sparks was the gem of them all. Then I saw that they had a video for the song Yellow on VH1 and MTV and the music snob and elitist in me (c'mon, there's little in us all) didn't know how to take it. Then another video came out for the song Trouble, and then they won a grammy.

Then their new album came out and got raving reviews. I picked it up and really liked it. I especially liked God Put A Smile On Your Face and the Scientist. I remember thinking, though, that sonically they had taken their sound as far as it could go without repeating themselves, and the only way they could grow was to improve the lyrics and perhaps take down the arena rock sound and go back to the jazzy folk-rock arrangements.

Sadly, I happened upon a leaked verion of XY and found all but two songs to be completely unbearable. I thought Fix You worked despite some of the worst opening lyrics ever, and To Kingdom Come was a gem. But I have yet to be able to listen to the entire album from start to finish without cringing. I thought it was their worst album by far.

Unless Brian Eno can improve the lyrics, I have no reason to believe that I will enjoy the new album anymore than their last album. The only chance I had was if the general public rejected XY, but it still sold a ton of records. Oh well (I still like Travis).

For those who care, news on the new album's release. Based on the first single, I'm not interested. Actually, based on the last record, I'm not interested, but I'm sure I'll give it a few spins if NPR or Spinner streams it.

I remember a classmate of mine in high school giving me a copy of Parachutes before the band blew up. I thought it was great -- also loved the jazzy, folk-rock arrangements. Thought A Rush of Blood to the Head was pretty good, picked up that live DVD that came out. Thought it was a pretty good spectacle. I actually enjoyed most of X&Y. Have really lost interest since then.

• 2 weeks later...