Brian Eno is producing the new Coldplay album

I saw it on pitchfork today. Hopefully, Eno will create amazing albums as he did for David Bowie (The Berlin albums though he did not produce them), Talking Heads, U2 (seirously since Eno left they suck), and thousands of other collborations. Here is the story:

Brian Eno Producing New Coldplay Album

He will try to fix them

In an interview with Kristy Lang on BBC Radio 4's Front Row program today, producer/musician/artist/god Brian Eno revealed that he is producing the next Coldplay album. "I think [the album] will be very original and very different from what they've done before," Eno said.

Well, that's good to know.

Lang and Eno had been discussing the Talking Heads' influence on current pop music, so Lang had to ask if the new Coldplay album will sound at all like that band.

Eno laughed and replied, "Funnily enough, I mentioned to David Byrne the other day that we are trying very hard to stay clear of Talking Heads."

Whew. If there's anything worse than Coldplay trying to sound like Coldplay, it's Coldplay trying to sound like the Talking Heads.

To hear the full interview, in which Eno talks about his current art exhibits, his views on spirituality, and his take on the state of the music industry, go here.

The last time I read an article about Eno was in The Wire, promoting his new DVD, 77 Million Paintings. In it, he pointed out how many bands have sent him demos and such to get him to produce them, sounding very close to Talking Heads circa "Fear of Music," and that he was getting really tired of it.

That said, it should be interesting to see which studio they use for the production. Does he still have Daniel Lanois' phone number? Also, this means that they're done with the new Roxy Music album and that it should be released very soon. Rock.

I really liked their first one. There was a couple months after it's initial relase where they hadn't blown up beyond belief. I remember learning about them from the local npr station in KY. My room mate and I were obsessed with them. We were hunting down b-sides and unrealed tracks and were just mad with finding stuff about them. It was nice and then we started hearing Yellow everywhere. The npr station quit playing them and the top 40 station started.

From there it was downhill. Their second album was shit and their third belongs in the Autumn Defense thread (definite pussy rock but still a close second to the AD). On the day the third album came out, I went to Target to pick up some stuff and I, no lie, saw at least a dozen very attractive 20-somethings clinging to this album within the five minutes I was in the store. I nearly cried. My very own twin brother told me he liked the album. He is no longer my brother.

With that being said, I am sure this one will be craptastic.

they aren't as bad as people are making them out to be, they have some good tunes....but the price of being famous is having your singles getting played ALL THE TIME.

I was an early adopter of Coldplay, having been just about the first kid on the block to buy "Parachutes" I think in the early months of 2001. I certainly liked the album at the time, but they do indeed suffer from being overplayed. I like some of their subsequent work, especially that "Moses" song, though I don't think they're all that great of a band. (I always thought Travis was better.) But maybe Eno will bring something out that wasn't obvious previously.

I enjoyed Parachutes and especially Rush of Blood. I thought X/Y was a colossal bore, but I'm hoping they will once again make decent music.

Since I don't listen to much radio, or watch much TV, I guess the hype machine doesn't factor into my response. But that's an issue completely separate from the music itself, isn't it?

And, there's the "ick factor" of being known to like Coldplay.

I'm going to stick up for the Coldplay guys... bare with me... Sure X&Y wasn't brilliant, but it wasn't shite either, there were a couple of really great singles on there.

I like the fact they're trying to do something a little different by bringing in Eno, but it smacks a little of trying to copy U2, but if they make an album anywhere near as good as Achtung Baby out of this I'll be listening.