I can wait until my next compy, unless I find a copy that falls off a truck or something.

What's the killer app? What can you do with Vista that you can't do with XP, other than hog resources?

These are the important questions. From what I hear, the thing barely works with a gig of ram. What the fuck were they thinking? And why does OS X, which is essentially what they copied, not steal all of your ram? Couldn't they have copied that aspect, too?

Also, Alison, I didn't read that review yet, but if it is positive, it is kind of hard to trust given the source.

These are the important questions. From what I hear, the thing barely works with a gig of ram. What the fuck were they thinking? And why does OS X, which is essentially what they copied, not steal all of your ram? Couldn't they have copied that aspect, too?

but then they wouldn't be peddling an inferior product. we couldn't have that.

i say this as an XP user.

while i'm a mac convert now, i've been running the final version since November on one of my junker PCs...

it runs fine on a 2600+ Athlon XP w/ 1 gig of ram (not noticeably slower than XP really, even w/ Aero)

that said, other than the new photo gallery app (iPhoto??), and a few other decent additions, it's not worth the price to upgrade (in addition to buy the new hardware needed for some).

wait until Service Pack 1 at least, then maybe, but it offers very little over XP for me. i upgraded my wife's PC to it the other weekend and she's not so big on the changes/look yet, so we'll see. may end up going back to XP.

It seems to me that they are confusing their own marketplace. Now they have even more versions: home, business, developers, IT pros, Ultimate, etc.

I talked with a PC geek here at work and he is in charge of testing Vista to determine when my company would use it for new PCs. He said it is a resource hog and you need to have the latest video drivers. As much as he seemed to want to say something nice about it he didn't make an impression on me.

My desktop (XP Home) is running fine, albeit slower compared to newer, sleeker models. And my laptop that I use for work purposes--heck, that poor thing kind of struggles with 2000 Professional when I'm running any servers on it. So Vista is somewhere way on the distant horizon for me.

Or maybe not. I'm overdue for a new laptop (and probably a new desktop for the fam isn't too far off), so the only way I see upgrading my OS is with new machines. Which is really the only way I see anybody upgrading. Vista is such a resource-hog that most people's existing computers can't handle the load. Who is going to rush out to buy an OS that they can only run at its most basic, stripped-down level, if that? Yeah, Windows was due for an overhaul...and stealing the feel of OSX isn't a bad idea, but I don't see an overwhelming need to rush into this upgrade with all the hardware requirements that go with it.