------------------------

21. California Stars

22. I'm The Man Who Loves You

23. Acuff-Rose (without PA)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, THAT was fuckin' fun! What a great time. Out of the three Jeff solo shows I've been to, this was the tops! What a great crowd, too. There were times when the audience was just about silent. It really lent to some amazing moments for Jeff's brilliance to just shine. I don't know how I'm going to follow this up... I think I'm done with concerts for a while as nothing else is going to touch this experience.

Dear Jeff-

Thank you. You've made me fall in love with your music all over again! Thank you for treating us to something this special.

Thanks,

Scott

Was also at the show tonight and blown away by experience - first time I've seen Jeff solo. Simply amazed by the clarity of his voice, which was partly a result of the silence of the crowd.

Thanks for posting the set list, I didn't bother to write it down.

Jeff seemed to have a nice rapport with the crowd - kind of played up the "cantankerous" image, but in a funny and playful way.

Great show. Just wish they had allowed beer in the theater itself.

Wont bore you guys with the normal fawning after show remarks although they'd all be more than well deserved.

But I will say this:

Something about the man dressed in dark denim walking out onto the stage, splitting the monitors and standing at the edge sans the mike and breaking into "someone else' song". Bearing down on us with that "look", trying to size us up; (an eyebrow slightly raised, inquisitive and authoritative all at one.

He owned that joint, and I for one was glad to hand over the keys and give it to him. It appeared at times he was having fun up there, I was glad for that. It seemed we all struck a nice balance, not too rowdy, not too sedate. "We should all drink more".. maybe. But don't mistake the silence during songs for anything other than respect. And Love.

What a great, great crowd; ( even though we need to polish up on the lyric to 'California Stars' ). It IS pretty when we all sing together; ( smiles all around during the 'Jesus etc.' sing-along, even up on stage).

Surprise of the night: "How well some of these songs translate solo acoustic"; ( I'm looking at you 'Spiders/Kidsmoke' ). That's the best take on that song I've ever heard. I'd never been totally in love with it until now.

Finally, thanks to Jeff and Co. for stoppin by and giving so much. We should really do this again....

First time seeing Tweedy solo. Perhaps not the best concert ever--but, without a doubt, the best concert experience ever.

Seems to me that the crowd struck a perfect balance between being quiet/respectful and engaging JT just enough to keep the show interesting (and to give him material for banter).

Charlottesville has proven itself to be a great tour-closer twice in one year. (See also the April 23, 2006, show.) So, let's hope that Charlottesville is a stop on every Wilco/Tweedy tour from now on. . .

Wow, second solo show in 5 months and just absolutely amazing, I know it's fun but I can really do w/o all the call outs for requests, although props to Jeff for drinking the Diet Coke, must've made that fan' night. I was so psyched when the crowd was , for lack of a better term, reverent, maybe all the previous shows made him misjudge it for disintrest, he seemed to hint at it at one point.

What a fantastic venue, I really am pissed now I didn't buck up and go see Karyn Allison there. The sound was phenomenal. Jeff was dead on and really seemed to be having a blast. His honesty is refreshing, couldn't have wished for any more in a set list. Although it may go against some fan boys California Stars was a personal favorite (some changes in my personal life and it was a great moment to share that song with my wife next to me, it wasn't the case a year ago, I felt blessed)

Fantastic atmosphere, venue, artist, and evening ( even lucked out on free parking right behind the venue, the stars were alligned)

Can't wait for the new record and the tour, the last to visits to C'ville have been fantastic hope they (or he) make it a permanent stop along the mid atlantic route.

Thanks to all the fans who really added so much to the show and thanks to Jeff for alowing us "on the couch." :thumbup

yeah, good times. my first time seeing Jeff solo as well. got to meet with Jeff and talk with him after the show. i asked him if "On & On & On" would be on the new record and he said it was a good possibility. i had an excellent time. i only wished he'd played "Sky Blue Sky," but i can't complain!

-justin

I have never, ever, in twenty years of concerts/shows, seen a crowd as totally dead silent, as was the case during last night's set closer, "Acuff-Rose." It was very powerful to be amongst a thousand people with the kind of camaraderie that you can feel only in complete quiet. Jeff was on stage's edge just pouring his heart out as if he was a twenty-year-old kid in a bar trying to prove himself, his voice just cutting right down to the bone. It was transcendental. Glad to have shared it with my great friend Nichole and my super sweet new pals Courtney and Pete all the way down from the Chicago suburbs. Great night.

got to meet with Jeff and talk with him after the show. i asked him if "On & On & On" would be on the new record and he said it was a good possibility.

-justin

Oh, way to go....now there's going to be 57 threads on how sucky On & On & On is and how it shouldn't be on the new album. :D

(I happen to like On & On & On quite a bit......and the webcast was FANTASTIC. Thanks Mr. Tweedy!!)

I'm not even going to try to describe Jeff's amazing performance or how thrilling it was to be a part of such a great crowd. I live in Richmond, VA and have been going to shows actively for 15 years and this simply does not happen at shows. I mean you could hear the crowd tapping their feet on the floor in unison during "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart"! Charlottesville has really turned into THE place to see a show in VA.

On another note I just wanted to mention that when Jeff joked that he was "playing the shit out of these songs" I couldn't agree more. In a way it felt like this could be the last time some of these songs are played in a while. With the emphasis on YHF and Ghost era songs the last 5 years and a new record coming out soon I would expect a totally new set of songs to be played this summer.

Can't wait regardless and thanks again Jeff.

Paul

.....In a way it felt like this could be the last time some of these songs are played in a while. With the emphasis on YHF and Ghost era songs the last 5 years and a new record coming out soon I would expect a totally new set of songs to be played this summer.

Wow, good point. :cheers

i'm so proud of the Charlottesville crowd; it made for a very enjoyable evening. even the shout outs were more amusing than annoying. I thought about yelling out for 'Pecan Pie' but I thought better of it. Plus, this was my first trip to the Paramount and I was impressed with it. Kudos to those who fought to save it all those years ago, your efforts are appreciated. We need more historical buildings like this to be preserved. Plus, every seat seemed to be a good seat; I was up in the balcony and still had a good view. Good sound, good rapport with the audience, good song selection. love What Light, second time to hear it. What I want to know is where the Jeff Lepperd shirt came from? I'd like to get one of those.

Last night was simply incredible. Every show I've ever been too Jeff always talks about how "Bad" a public speaker he is. He was hilarious last night. Definitely on top of his game as far as playing solo shows, didnt miss a note! I was lucky enough to sit front row, was staring straight up at him on both the "unplugged's". Attached are a few grainy videos, picture not great, but sound is nice! Audience was something else, never been in a crowd quite like that. Noone even made a noise until after Spiders of Patient with me, I forget. I think it even caught him offguard!

Attached are a few grainy videos, picture not great, but sound is nice! Audience was something else, never been in a crowd quite like that. Noone even made a noise until after Spiders of Patient with me, I forget. I think it even caught him offguard!

Jeff's disconnected inverted head floating in and out of the frame like some kind of ghostly amber apparition.

NEAT.

These sound great.....tks for that.

I have never, ever, in twenty years of concerts/shows, seen a crowd as totally dead silent, as was the case during last night's set closer, "Acuff-Rose." It was very powerful to be amongst a thousand people with the kind of camaraderie that you can feel only in complete quiet. Jeff was on stage's edge just pouring his heart out as if he was a twenty-year-old kid in a bar trying to prove himself, his voice just cutting right down to the bone. It was transcendental. Glad to have shared it with my great friend Nichole and my super sweet new pals Courtney and Pete all the way down from the Chicago suburbs. Great night.

I'm in 100% agreement. Picking Knoxville and Charlottesville as the two nights to see on this trip down from Chicago was, in hindsight, brilliant! Both shows magical in their own right, amazing set lists, and stunning venues.

One of the best thing about this site is the relationships that grow as a direct result of Tweedy and company. Greg, we had a blast with you and Nichole as well. I'll make the journey down to Charlottesville any time. Beautiful city, gracious crowd, superb people. Like Jeff said last April, "Charlottesville, you make me feel safe!"