Al Franken to Run for Senate

i live in st paul. not a fan of al actually. i believe he's ripped on norm coleman for not being from minnesota yet franken hasn't really lived here for quite sometime.

He grew up there and moved back a while ago. He's much more of a Minnesotan than Hillary is a New Yorker.

It's ok... moved it for you...

Thanks, Rich.

He grew up there and moved back a while ago. He's much more of a Minnesotan than Hillary is a New Yorker.

He lives there now, but I guess he was gone for sort of a long time. I think it's a reasonable criticism that he moved back so recently before running for office. But definately a much more legitimate Minnesotan than Hillary is a New Yorker.

I wouldn't expect much out of him if he's elected, but I'm just curious if people feel that the political climate is such that he actually has a chance of winning.

Certainly a better candidate than Jerry Springer, to compare him to another radio host considering a Senate run (even though Springer actually does have political experience), but other than that I don't know how seriously he'll be taken, although we are talking about a state that elected Jesse Ventura, so who knows.

minnesota will elect anybody. and yes, the political climate is right for loonies to run for office and be taken as serious contenders. the bottom of the barrel is being scraped for candidates since bush has now completely lowered the bar.

i saw a bumper sticker the other day that said, "had enough? vote democrat". what people don't remember is why republicans were voted in in the first place. such short memories people have nowdays and the democrats have yet to offer up any reasons why this next go around won't result in the same trainwreck that got them the boot in the first place. things certainly go in cycles and politics is no exception.

If I recall correctly ( SNL skit ) the '80's were supposed to be " The Al Franken Decade" .

personally, as a hardcore liberal myself, i don't give a shit about Franken, and i hope to hell some fairly prominent DFL'er steps into the race soon, because i'd gladly vote for Coleman (a fairly moderate Republican, and a former Dem) over Al any day. but field a decent candidate besides the 2, no matter what party, and i'd be much happier.

as for Al living here, he certainly does now. i've seen him out and about twice in the last year or so. he shops at a Lunds in St. Louis Park regularly.

personally, as a hardcore liberal myself, i don't give a shit about Franken, and i hope to hell some fairly prominent DFL'er steps into the race soon, because i'd gladly vote for Coleman (a fairly moderate Republican, and a former Dem) over Al any day.

Yeah. If only all Republicans were like Coleman. He's not too bad, really. BUT..he's still a Republican.

From Wikipedia regarding Norm Coleman:

pro-life — he universally opposes abortion rights

opposes the legal recognition of same-sex marriages or civil unions

in his first year in office, voted with Bush's position on bills 98 percent of the time

I don't know anything about this guy myself but he doesn't sound very different than most other Republicans. Is Wikipedia missing it here or am I?

When it comes to politics I suspect that Al is just as qualified, if not more so, than Jesse "The Body" Ventura.

Ventura served as a small town mayor before he was governor, so I think he was actually more qualified, at least in terms of experience. In terms of competence, who knows.

Yeah. If only all Republicans were like Coleman. He's not too bad, really. BUT..he's still a Republican.

Don't fall into that trap...

From Wikipedia regarding Norm Coleman:

pro-life — he universally opposes abortion rights

opposes the legal recognition of same-sex marriages or civil unions

in his first year in office, voted with Bush's position on bills 98 percent of the time

I don't know anything about this guy myself but he doesn't sound very different than most other Republicans. Is Wikipedia missing it here or am I?

well like i said, he was a Dem up until the mid to late 90's when he switched parties (he was the Mayor of St. Paul).

he opposes the Troop surge proposed by Bush for one. not saying he's not still def a conservative, but he's not a Bush rubber stamp type either (but still sides with him on a number of issues unfortunately).

look at his voting record the last 2 years, he's definitely become more moderate. i think he got like a 70% rating from some Conservative deal.

I would say Al has a shot I think his show was very funny and that he is a good interview. His books are 3 times more funny than his interviews, I just hope winning or losing the senate race doesn't cause him to loose his sense of humor