Pitchers and catchers report!

RICHHILL.jpg

Because a good amount of the major projection systems agree this kid is going to be sick.

hmmm. think i should try to pick up zumaya? if so for who? (i consider myself to know a lot about baseball, but my fantasy skills are seriously lacking)

and paulgermain: that's the kinda team you dream about. i think i wet myself looking at your rotation. my gawd....

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love talking Fantasy Baseball as much as the next person, and I'm not trying to be a buzz kill, but maybe we should splinter off the fantasy discussion into it's own thread? It'd be great to have one section for real baseball discussion/ news/etc. and another devoted just to fantasy talk/stats/line-ups/trades/etc. in order to not have to sift through one thread and separate.

Just a thought....

hmmm. think i should try to pick up zumaya? if so for who? (i consider myself to know a lot about baseball, but my fantasy skills are seriously lacking)

and paulgermain: that's the kinda team you dream about. i think i wet myself looking at your rotation. my gawd....

I would stay away from Zumaya until he either gets a shot at starting or earns the closer spot. Also, he's an injury risk. Baseball has him as a "yellow" on their "Red, Yellow, Green" injury risk list. They have this to say:

"Zumaya is one of my favorite players to watch. The bloodshot eyes, the 100 mph fastball, and the explosively dangerous mechanics all have the on-the-edge excitement of an Indy Car race. "

Unless Holds is a categorie in your league, stear clear until Todd Jones starts pitching really, really terribly (like, even worse than last year).

I made the new thread.

I'll be active in the fantasy thread, and I've been doing my research for my pay leage for a couple of months, so if anyone has any questions I can see what Ive got on the specific player and pass it on.

I've got my really advanced projections on my other pc, so once I get back to my dorm, I'll have all of my stuff with me.

This needs to happen. I need Jerry Remy and Don Orsillo.

as we are firmly in the bosom of red sox nation, we get NESN anyway with our cable package but i'd be willing to buy EI via cox if it is available simply to make a point. Of course i'll never see ben for the rest of the summer but...

as we are firmly in the bosom of red sox nation, we get NESN anyway with our cable package but i'd be willing to buy EI via cox if it is available simply to make a point. Of course i'll never see ben for the rest of the summer but...

If my mom got Extra Innings, I'd just plant myself in front of the tv and not move for the entirety of my summer break.

I'll have to talk to her about it...

Not good for LaRussa, of course, but I'd be willing to bet perscription drugs take a part in his defense. Although he was above FLA's legal drinking/driving limit, to blow what he did is 2-3 beers in a relatively short span of time. I'm not making excuses for his actions, just noting that it's not extreme intoxication for a man his age/size.

Still, nodding out at an intersection = not good.

Not good for LaRussa, of course, but I'd be willing to bet perscription drugs take a part in his defense. Although he was above FLA's legal drinking/driving limit, to blow what he did is 2-3 beers in a relatively short span of time. I'm not making excuses for his actions, just noting that it's not extreme intoxication for a man his age/size.

Still, nodding out at an intersection = not good.

:lol At least he can represent himself in court.

I'm not sure he was ever admitted to the bar--he just has the degree.

Doesn't matter. You can represent yourself in court whether or not you're a lawyer ... but being that he has the JD, he's one of the rare defendants who's actually a decent candidate to do so.

Of course, he also has money, so I'm sure he'll hire himself a fancy high-priced attorney.

Doesn't matter. You can represent yourself in court whether or not you're a lawyer ... but being that he has the JD, he's one of the rare defendants who's actually a decent candidate to do so.

Of course, he also has money, so I'm sure he'll hire himself a fancy high-priced attorney.

Right on both counts. I'm sure he's smart enough not to represent himself.

So Ozzie Guillen is apparently leaning towards Darin Erstad as the regular CFer. Oh boy. The White Sox board is split between those who love Erstad's, uh, grinderness, and those who'd rather have a young, defensively top-notch CFer. It seems like part of the point of spring training is to sort out these controversies.

CFer #1 .296/.328/.352 6 RBI, 2 SB, 1 CS in 54 ABs

CFer #2 .303/.385/.545 5 RBI, 2 SB, 0 CS in 33 ABs

Which one would you take? They're both 1-1 with singles today (not included in stats).

So Ozzie Guillen is apparently leaning towards Darin Erstad as the regular CFer. Oh boy. The White Sox board is split between those who love Erstad's, uh, grinderness, and those who'd rather have a young, defensively top-notch CFer. It seems like part of the point of spring training is to sort out these controversies.

CFer #1 .296/.328/.352 6 RBI, 2 SB, 1 CS in 54 ABs

CFer #2 .303/.385/.545 5 RBI, 2 SB, 0 CS in 33 ABs

Which one would you take? They're both 1-1 with singles today (not included in stats).

Seeing as Erstad is probably #1, I'll go with #2. Erstad sucks.

March 22, 2007

It's Official: Papelbon to Close

By Gordon Edes, Globe Staff

Jonathan Papelbon and Terry Francona confirmed this afternoon that the club is abandoning the experiment to convert him to a starter and that he will continue as the team's closer.

Papelbon, despite his public declarations of embracing the role of starter, said he hasn't been able to sleep this spring because he wanted to close and finally told Francona of his desire on the field prior to Tuesday night's exhibition game.

"I walked into Tito's office and said, 'If you want to give me the ball in the ninth, I want it,'" Papelbon said today.

Papelbon confirmed the decision after this afternoon's game with Philadelphia.

I think it's great that Papelbon will be back in the closer's spot. With a rehabilitated, strong, healthy arm (according to medical experts) it's a natural fit for him. He's proven he can be a dominant force in the closer role. Who knows how he would've faired as a starter? Plus, it'll be a mental boost for the starters/releivers knowing he'll be coming in to wrap things up.

Nothing wrong with this scenario, except tthat he Sox need to now put confidence into another starter.... Snyder? Tavares? Lester al ittle later?