First Listen

Hi everyone,

Just got the album (no cover art as of now). I gave it ONE listen before writing this post, even though I'm well aware that YHF and AGIB started to make sense only after several listens. Please remember this is not intended as a "review". I wouldn't dare.

I remember two comments Jeff made about the album. The first was that it was going to be a collection of soul songs, the second was that it was going to be a lot like Being There. The first statement seems a lot more accurate than the second.

Sky Blue Sky is Wilco's mellow record. The more up tempo song is Walken, by far. Everything else has a kind of relaxed groove to it, and Jeff is singing mostly in a relatively high pitched and smooth voice (as he did on Long Time Ago on the Golden Smog album). The arrangements are very similar to the ones we heard on the live mp3's that were posted on this site (and yes, the fact that I listened to them makes this "first listen" exercise even more difficult), relying heavily on Nel's Guitar parts that work sometimes as songs within songs. The only real' dissimilar arrangements is the title song, who sounds like a cool country number, somewhere between When the Roses Bloom again (for the laid back feel) and Forget The Flowers (for the pedal steel flourishes).

Most of the songs are beautiful, full of emotion and melodies, not over long (only Impossible Germany and Shake it off are 5 minutes +) and relatively short on "hooks". The only one I don't like is Shake it Off whis is destined to become SBS's 'Spiders', the song that redefines the limits that the fans are willing to reach in order to follow the band.

The three "new" songs fit in perfectly. 'You are my face' starts like a nice mid-tempo ballad sung in three part harmonies (most probably Jeff, John and Pat, but I can't say for sure) then a guitar break leads to one of the more overtly "soul" moments in the disc

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:dribble i work at a radio station and im praying we get a copy in soon(or at all). I'm so glad that people seem to have generally positive things to say after their first listen though, it eases my nerves. It sounds like an album i'd love to listen to, just because white boy soul music gets me every time - as well as John Wesley Harding.
Neither is the new Spoon.

But isn't there no release date for "stroke their brains"?

Last I checked, it is still slated for a "Spring 2007" release....kinda like the new Ghostface/ MF Doom record, which is supposed to be out in February...I guess they still have like 14 hours left..

ANYHOW, here I wait.

thanks for the review! i was thinking it could leak any day, but now it seems inevitable. knowing it could be at 1:00 PM or this weekend or whenever is killing me. i must have it right away. that having been said, i don't think that it would be a problem if someone leaked a review copy...anyone on this board will be buying a copy. plus, Wilco obviously don't care if people hear the album early.

-justin

We need to devise some sort of bat-signal for when this leaks. Lately my routine is to check Oink before I leave for work in the morning and at least once an hour from when I get home until I go to bed. The "addict needing a fix" analogy seems apt.

As for this being their "mellow" record, I guess it depends in what sense you mean that. I think AGIB is largely a very mellow record. Its full of tension in some parts, but the sound itself--I mean, to get more mellow than Hell Is Chrome you'd have to be asleep. (not a criticism--that's actually my favorite song on the record) :lol

I'm reaalllllllllly excited about the new album, but the one thing that i can not wait for at all is Wilco coming to Colorado. I check their fucking website 3 times a day waiting for Colorado to pop up on tour... Sad I know.

...That being said i can't wait to hear the new album! even if that is before May 15! The cd always sounds different anyways.