I'm definetly thinking about going to DJ Shadow's set.

Aesop Rock, El-P, DJ Shadow > The String Cheese Incident.

It should be crazy in This Tent that night.

I'll be there as well, assuming I make it there.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aesop Rock, El-P, DJ Shadow > The String Cheese Incident.

agreed...id like to see string cheese but Aesop rock in itself is gonna rock out. I just really hope i find some fun stuff for the DJ shadow set :frog

is there anyone of the acts that shouldn't be missed? any recommendations from those in the know?

A number of bands on the bill have amazing live shows...

The Flaming Lips - I haven't been to a show nor am I really big into them, but several people advise that they are not to be missed because of all the crazy sh*t that happens at their shows.

The White Stripes - Jack White is phenomenal live. If you've seen the "Under Blackpool Lights" DVD, you know what I'm talking about, even though he is holding back as not to show off too much. He should be bringing his A game to 'roo.

The Decemberists - No details necessary, I think their live reputation precedes them.

Cold War Kids - One of my favorite bands. Their studio album and EPs will never match the energy of their live sets.

The Black Keys - Dirty, dirty, dirty blues-rock at its finest.

Manu Chao - Hard to describe, but the closest I can think of is high-intensity Latin music.

I'm really pissed I'm going to have to miss the last half hour of the Decemberists because they scheduled them at the same time as Wilco...

But the Flaming Lips absolutely cannot be missed. I'm probably looking forward to them more than any other band. They are so much fun live, it's like a 50,000 person party.

I'm also looking forward to the Cold War Kids. Listening to their album, they sound like a lot of fun live.

Ok, I need to make a checklist of things to bring with me for the festival as well as for each day. I've got:

Me.

Ticket.

Shoes.

Pants.

Shirt.

Backpack with 3 bottles of water, 2 frozen, one very cold.

About 20 bucks a day.

Cell Phone.

Any suggestions? I'm really kind of worried that I'm not going to be prepared at all.

b2--you are NOT allowed to bring in open bottles of water. they have FREE (if smelly) water all over the festival. if you are bringing a refillable bottle, it must be empty to bring it in

--the first time you enter the festival you'll be given a wrist band that you'll wear all weekend, so after day 1, no need to remember a ticket!

BRING A HAT that will give you some respite from the sun. this is NOT AN OPTION. rilly.

you've got the VIP package so that will cover some snackage and drinks for you, but bringing dough for food is a good idea.

--i've mentioned it before but: POWDERED GATORADE. if you don't have this, knock on my door, i'll be holding.

--sunscreen

--re: cell reception: don't count on this as your communication. the lines are typically SUPER busy and it is difficult to get a call in. set up a meeting time with your friends, etc. ahead of time.

--light rain jacket or poncho. again: seems superfluous, but you'll be SO glad to have it when it starts raining.

--and just in case: a couple aspirin or headache reliver of your choice. in a little plastic bag. rain and whatnot, you know.

b2--you are NOT allowed to bring in open bottles of water. they have FREE (if smelly) water all over the festival. if you are bringing a refillable bottle, it must be empty to bring it in

--the first time you enter the festival you'll be given a wrist band that you'll wear all weekend, so after day 1, no need to remember a ticket!

BRING A HAT that will give you some respite from the sun. this is NOT AN OPTION. rilly.

you've got the VIP package so that will cover some snackage and drinks for you, but bringing dough for food is a good idea.

--i've mentioned it before but: POWDERED GATORADE. if you don't have this, knock on my door, i'll be holding.

--sunscreen

--re: cell reception: don't count on this as your communication. the lines are typically SUPER busy and it is difficult to get a call in. set up a meeting time with your friends, etc. ahead of time.

--light rain jacket or poncho. again: seems superfluous, but you'll be SO glad to have it when it starts raining.

--and just in case: a couple aspirin or headache reliver of your choice. in a little plastic bag. rain and whatnot, you know.

What about water bottles that haven't been opened yet?

What about water bottles that haven't been opened yet?

They say they allow one, and they never stopped me from making that one bottle a gallon jug :). You'll find that they're pretty lienent on enforcing their rules, but plan to follow them anyway. I was always able to bring my dslr camera (they say no cameras with detachable lenses, that's how they distinguish them as professional). I was asked once the whole weekend if my lense came off. Black lense, silver body, and and extra 300mm lense in my backpack??? No miss, this lense does not come off. No other questions asked. But yeah, my plan was bring a sealed gallon and and empty bottle. drink the gallon then keep filling the bottle at the stations.

except the VIP section has snacks and bathrooms.

WOO!

got my pack in the mail today, too. went downtown to make travel plans with my roadtrip pal. THINGS ARE HEATING UP!

spoon. fuck yes.

i'm envious!

maybe next year i'll go. just to be able to say i did it.

manchester isn't too far from chattanooga so after bonnaroo if you guys want to come see the aquarium come on out! :rock

except the VIP section has snacks and bathrooms.

WOO!

got my pack in the mail today, too. went downtown to make travel plans with my roadtrip pal. THINGS ARE HEATING UP!

spoon. fuck yes.

We are gonna go shopping for supplies this weekend. Need to make a checklist. Probably gonna check the inforoo board and see what they have to say.

Are you driving the whole trip? If so, that's nuts.

i'm envious!

maybe next year i'll go. just to be able to say i did it.

manchester isn't too far from chattanooga so after bonnaroo if you guys want to come see the aquarium come on out! :rock

You should go this year! It's not sold out.

The one-off pairing of Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones, Ben Harper and Roots drummer Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson will team for the annual SuperJam at next week's Bonnaroo festival in Manchester, Tenn. The group has the 12-3 a.m. time slot in the Other Tent, playing opposite the String Cheese Incident and Mago featuring Billy Martin and John Medeski.

As previously reported, Thompson will also play throughout the weekend with the Roots as well his jazz-leaning side project, the Philadelphia Experiment.

The ?uestlove/John Paul Jones/Ben Harper thing is vaguely interesting and I'd probably want to check it out just to see it, but I'd probably end up making my way over to go see Medeski/Martin.

Though it sucks that I'm going to have to miss the Decemberists. I'm considering watching their whole show since I've never seen them and I've seen Wilco 3 times. And I think Wilco will be in South Florida sometime in the next year, where I doubt the Decemberists will be back until they release a new album.

I can't justify being at a music festival and not knowing wilco was playing and I wasn't there... I dunno. I have really wanted to see the decemberists though, I am assuming there will be more opportunities.

Well, Wilco hasn't been shy about coming to Florida, as they've been here 3 times in 5 years, so I'm sure they'll be back. I don't know if The Decemberists have ever been to South Florida. I dunno, it'll be hard to decide how to do it. I'll probably go with Wilco...

there is no way i am missing one note of teh wilco, but i may not insist on trying to get a great spot. festival things being what they are.