okc greg--thanks for the good advice! i'm getting prepped for my trip and trying to remember the hits and misses from my 2004 weekend.

when i look back on the weekend, there are only a handful of acts that i can name, bands i meant to see. but i saw SO many others, and they were ALL terrific. spent quite a bit of time at the stage over by that coffee/beer tent. imagine that. :lol

for the record: ended up booking a lodging package that gives me a hotel room w/ 24 hr shuttle service to the festival AND a VIP camping spot. woo!!

chris: maybe we can meet up at one of the comedy shows. the scale of those crowds will be a bit more managable.

****HEALTH AND STAMINA TIP: pack in POWDERED Gatorade. mix it w/provided water whenever you need it. this stuff saved my hiney.****

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at Big Cypress back on 12/31/1999, and that was hard enough, but it was really only one big night of madness. An absolutely amazing time.

You witnessed something there man...I'm not sure what it was :lol but it was a very special thing to be sure.

okc greg--thanks for the good advice! i'm getting prepped for my trip and trying to remember the hits and misses from my 2004 weekend.

when i look back on the weekend, there are only a handful of acts that i can name, bands i meant to see. but i saw SO many others, and they were ALL terrific. spent quite a bit of time at the stage over by that coffee/beer tent. imagine that. :lol

for the record: ended up booking a lodging package that gives me a hotel room w/ 24 hr shuttle service to the festival AND a VIP camping spot. woo!!

chris: maybe we can meet up at one of the comedy shows. the scale of those crowds will be a bit more managable.

****HEALTH AND STAMINA TIP: pack in POWDERED Gatorade. mix it w/provided water whenever you need it. this stuff saved my hiney.****

I'm thinking on Thursday I'm going to spending alot of time in the comedy tents until the National goes on, so maybe we can meet there.

We're still not sure how we are getting there. May drive, may fly. I'd rather drive, as I hate flying, but driving would mean we'd have to leave at like 5 in the AM on thursday and get there at like 6-7PM and just be beat.

anyone who gets a chance, should check out Ornette Coleman. the man's a living legend.

:worship

A friend of mine is trying to talk me into attending. I said I'm too old. He said, are you crazy, 44 is the new 19.

:brow

I'm with you; I'm 37 and I feel the same way, though I would have loved something like this in my early 20s. I went for half a day last year as a performer, and though it was interesting to see the spectical of something so large and marvel at the logistical nightmare that must exist in putting such a festival together, there was no way that I could imagine staying three or four days. We were in a little "artist's compound" camp area that included performers, press and vendors, and even though it was a partially shaded area within short walking distance of the main "Centeroo," and had easy access to port-o-johns and shower facilities, it all seemed like more than my non-camping ass could tolerate. Some of the regular ticket holders were located as far as 5 miles from the main area and did not have convenient access to the toilets and no shower facilities. I arrived around noon (on Sunday, the last day of the festival), caught a shuttle to the site and watched a few acts (Son Volt was boring; Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks were awesome) and then we did our short set at the Napster tent and I split while some hippy band was playing the event's final set on the main stage. No sir, not for me!

I wish I could see Wilco and the Police, though! What sucks is the artists have to sign an agreement not to play within so many square miles of Bonarroo within a certain window of time before and after the event, and as a result Wilco is not stopping in Knoxville (1 1/2 hr. drive) on the initial leg of their tour, though it swings through the southeast.

What sucks is the artists have to sign an agreement not to play within so many square miles of Bonarroo within a certain window of time before and after the event

I always wondered about that,very intresting.

I'm thinking on Thursday I'm going to spending alot of time in the comedy tents until the National goes on, so maybe we can meet there.

chris i will likely miss thursday altogether as i have a ticket to see teh wilco in cincinatti that night. STILL figuring out just how to make that work. :pirate

just bought a pair of these. anticipating a little rain. :monkey

HOSER.jpg

for those who haven't been before: that mud will rend the sandals from your feet. bring a pair of shoes that will STAY ON. hiking boots, etc. waterproof is recommended.

HOORAY FOR DRY FEET!! :banana

(i'll be packing the light shoes in the backpack)

A FEW KIND WORDS OF ADVICE:

Any of you going to Bonnaroo please be careful. They Looooooooove to pull over people on the interstates here in TN as your crossing into the state the week before the festival. It never fails that you will see some big ass RV or a hippy van pulled over on the news with a TN state trooper looking bad ass with the drug haul displayed across the hood. Happens every year. Please be very cool and low key if your bringing a stash, they are looking for you guys.

That being said as others have mentioned in the previous posts water water water. It's already hot as hell down here and will only get warmer. Very humid as well. You should expect rain and even nasty T-storms this time of year. Manchester, TN is sort of smack dab in the middle of the state a good hour plus from Chattanooga and Nashville. There isn't a whole lot of stuff on the interstates after you get out of Nashville or C-town so gas up, food up etc, etc.

Hope everyone has a blast and no troubles. Seriously, be cool your dealing with Tennesse state troopers and the local Coffee county Sherrif. The county loves the $$$$ you guys bring in, but have that Southern cop mentality. Keep it low key and you will be fine.

Allright I'll stop being your Dad now.

chris i will likely miss thursday altogether as i have a ticket to see teh wilco in cincinatti that night. STILL figuring out just how to make that work. :pirate

Lucky...

I was trying to go see them in Atlanta on the 19th, but I don't think I'll be able to pull it off.

Oh shoes. The shoe situation. Yes, those $2 pair of flip flops are nice. They are comfortable, and wonderfully hippyish. Though, at seven years after the bi-mellinial of our lord, those flip flops will suffer through the seven plagues of your FEET. Do not wear them. Wear crocs if you wish to proclaim hippie-dom... tight ass sneakers/sandals if you wish to proclaim "i thought about this shit"idom. Honestly, if I could count the amount of orphaned flip flops I saw in 2004, the world would've solved both pi and the golden ratio. Don't be comfortable, be smart. If your shoes don't have backs, then play a sir mix-a-lot and leave that shit alone!

Oh shoes... if I could count the amount of orphaned flip flops I saw in 2004...

:lol exactly!

i think my boots are a little loose, but i had to go with the half-size larger. :ermm still, got some rockin' socks to go with.

am finally starting to get down to some serious trip planning. tomorrow hitting up the AAA for an atlas and some books. starting this trip in chicago...southern most point will be atlanta...then wrapping up back in louisville. HU-AH!! :pirate

We're just doing the standard 12 hour drive to Tennessee. Nothing else for us.

We had an extra ticket, but I think I convinced one of my friends to buy it from us. So that'll be cool.

What else is going on in the cinema tent?

Also, I see that Alec from Clap Your Hands Say Yeah played a solo set during the 06 show in one of the tents during a Q and A session. Is that how most of them go?

bummer, demon. bonnaroo is full of crummy decisions like that. (booking the decemberists, ween AND wilco at the same time? are you kidding me? was there no jam band to put in one of those slots?)

there is some cool stuff going on in the cinema tent. jim j. is the "filmmaker in residence" so they are showing several of his films over the weekend. they will also be showing the flight of the conchords show that is on showtime or hbo...

i am going to try to see this. FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS ARE FANTASTIC! really, see these men at least once over the weekend. they'll be on one of the comedy stages a lot.

that said: is there anyone of the acts that shouldn't be missed? any recommendations from those in the know?

ps. woo!

who's gonna meet me in the DJ tent late night for a lil DJ Shadow!?!?!!

I'm definetly thinking about going to DJ Shadow's set.

Aesop Rock, El-P, DJ Shadow > The String Cheese Incident.

It should be crazy in This Tent that night.