A discussion on how does SBS resembles other Wilco

it's not a Wilco album, but I think Sky Blue Sky fits hand in hand with Born Again in the U.S.A.

It's most certianly a Wilco album. Wilco is just changing, like they always do. There's no one way for the band to sound in order to be Wilco or to make Wilco albums.

It's most certianly a Wilco album. Wilco is just changing, like they always do. There's no one way for the band to sound in order to be Wilco or to make Wilco albums.

no shit.

I was referring to Born Again in the U.S.A

it's not a Wilco album, but I think Sky Blue Sky fits hand in hand with Born Again in the U.S.A.

Can you say a little more about how it resembles BAIT USA? Lyrics? Music? Before SBS, I was listening to USA over and over and over and over and over so am curious about the comparison.

much like the first loose fur albun, after listening to it, you could see what direction Jeff was heading towards with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I feel the same way about about Sky Blue Sky and Born Again...I just think they go hand in hand, perfect companion pieces.

In attempting to predict what the next Wilco record will sound like...one can 1) throw darts at a board or 2) refer to the last song on the previous Wilco record. Stay with me on this...it works some of the time. Here's two examples....

"The Late Greats" on AGIB (sounded like a lost track from AM sessions) and "Comment" on Kicking TV (very soulful)...SBS has more soul elements that any other Wilco record and several of the songs on SBS have AM or BT era similarities. Hummm...very interesting....

"In a Future Age" on ST & "Someday Some Morning Sometime" from MAII contained different sounds and textures (read somewhere about a "delayphone" being used)...which followed w/ YHF. Humm...You may have something there.

I think that SBS can be compared to Being There in the sense that they're more straight-forward, and beautiful songs.

I can definately relate to the Born Again in the USA comparison. Seeing how that was the nearest Tweedy release to Sky Blue Sky, it definately shows the direction his songwriting was going. And it's a particular avenue I love.

much like the first loose fur albun, after listening to it, you could see what direction Jeff was heading towards with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I feel the same way about about Sky Blue Sky and Born Again...I just think they go hand in hand, perfect companion pieces.

I think both albums have a refrence to 70's music with Born Again In the U.S.A. a nod to prog-rock while Sky Blue Sky a nod to the soul and interweaving guitars of the 70's. I mean I always thought the title of Loose Fur's second album is a refrence to the music within the album you know: Bruce Springsteen's horrible album came out in the 70's expect the music is not in any relation to Springsteen, but rather the music from the 70's is being born again such as prog-rock (most of the album), rockers (Hey Chicken), and some country-rock (Ruling Class).

I hear bits and pieces of every previous Wilco album on SBS. I think the first 3 songs are interchangable with any song on AGIB. The song SBS works on AM or BT. Side With The Seeds mights fits in on AGIB or ST. Shake It Off could have been a BT track. Tracks 7-9 would have been fine on any of the 3, ST-\YHF\AGIB. Walken could have been on anything but YHF. What Light is pretty universal, that song wouldn't have sounded out of place on any Wilco album but it really would work on AM. The last track sounds like ST's spookier cuts but easily could have worked on either YHF or AGIB.

As a long-time UT/Wilco (and yup, even some SV) fan, I'm forever enticed by the way Tweedy has moved ahead. He's so f***ing restless musically that he's never content to just pander to fans by giving us what we (or some fans anyway) 'want'. I didn't 'want' Summerteeth necessarily but in time it surpassed Being There for me, and then I guess YHF really lost me. I mean, really left me confused and reeling. It wasn't until AGIB came out that I really thought they'd lost it but in that same way that Summerteeth snuck up on me and punched me out repeatedly, AGIB became one of my favourite albums. It actually took Kicking Television to remind me how great the songs from the prior two albums were and how skilfully they were represented in a live format. The little I've heard of BSB has whet my appetite further - apropos of nothing, does anyone know where I could hear the album? I missed the streaming of it last weekend because I was working downunder. In Australia I mean.

Anyway, I love Born Again In the USA and while there's clearly a Springsteen pun at work, it was very 70s, Steely Dan-ish in parts and heavily religious in its themes, particularly The Ruling Class and Thou Shalt Wilt which seems to feed from the questions thrown up by Theologians. I'm almost compelled to ask if anyone knows what Tweedy's thoughts on religion/Christianity etc are. Also words like birth/born etc seem to crop up a bit too. Interesting. Clearly one songwriter who examines weightier ideas than just love, though I love it when he writes about that too.

Sorry, long-time lurker, first time poster.

it reiterates what a few of you have said, but my thought was that it resembles being there not so much in sound or style but in the fact that its really the first time since then that it sounds like a band playing songs together just doing what they do and doing it well without a lot of conscious direction or disection going on. AGIB was the transistional move in this direction but it didn't sound like the style they were going for was 100% set yet... ST and YHF as brilliant as they were sound like musicians creating pieces of music not so much the playing of songs in as organic a way as this sounds. And BT was the last time this was so solidly the case.

and i completely agree with kris about the BAitUSA connection as well...shake it off could be on either album and not sound out of place, a few of them could.

Yeah, I totally feel that. To me, it almost sounds like an unexpected amalgam of BAITUSA, Being There and AGIB.

I agree with that, and it has me wanting to make an amalgamated playlist of my favorite songs from all three albums.