• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw them at the Fleadh in Chicago one year, and they were a highlight of that day.

Wilco didn't play that one. :huh

Actually they did. At the first one at any rate both Wilco, Billy Bragg and McGowan and the Popes were there.

LouieB

Actually they did. At the first one at any rate both Wilco, Billy Bragg and McGowan and the Popes were there.

This was at the Chicago Speedway, and Wilco most assuredly didn't play that one. :hmm

This was at the Chicago Speedway, and Wilco most assuredly didn't play that one. :hmm

No they certainly didn't play that one. This was the one at Arlington Racetrack the year before.

Having seen McGowan the previous year give an incredible performance and also after sitting in the mud most of the day, I went and saw John Prine and left that one.

All in all both were fun, but both very different.

LouieB

Having seen McGowan the previous year give an incredible performance and also after sitting in the mud most of the day, I went and saw John Prine and left that one.

Yeah, the mud was intolerable. They had announced that no lawn chairs would be allowed, so we didn't bring any. Of course, everyone there had lawn chairs. :realmad

We badly wanted to see MacGowan, but that side stage was running very late, and his set was already nearly two hours overdue when we finally decided that we were too miserable to hang around another minute ... so we left. We did see some good stuff that day, despite the prolonged misery -- Costello & Nieve, Van Morrison, the Saw Doctors, John Prine, and the highlight for me: Steve Earle with the Del McCoury Band. :thumbup

That day was, however, the final straw for me as far as those kinds of festivals go. I will never attend another one.

Yeah, the mud was intolerable. They had announced that no lawn chairs would be allowed, so we didn't bring any. Of course, everyone there had lawn chairs. :realmad

We badly wanted to see MacGowan, but that side stage was running very late, and his set was already nearly two hours overdue when we finally decided that we were too miserable to hang around another minute ... so we left. We did see some good stuff that day, despite the prolonged misery -- Costello & Nieve, Van Morrison, the Saw Doctors, John Prine, and the highlight for me: Steve Earle with the Del McCoury Band. :thumbup

That day was, however, the final straw for me as far as those kinds of festivals go. I will never attend another one.

I saw all the same stuff you did except for the Steve Earle set. In the strangest instance that day was Joe Henry in a side tent with virtually no one there to see him. Even I found it dull (and I like him) and went back to the main stage.

LouieB

Jesus baldheaded Christ....I am ashamed to be Irish. Mickey Joe Harte? :realmad

Planxty...great if you like the trad stuff.

Rory Gallagher...simple...GOD.

There are some awful shitty Irish bands. No wonder I listen mostly to American music.

I love Planxty myself. Not that great of a fan of the trad stuff but once in a while it hits the spot. Then again I didn't grow up with it so it doesn't mean that much to me.