Who are some of your favorite Irish or Celtic Bands?

While these guys don't actually come from Ireland, I have always enjoyed the Wild Colonial Bhoys from MN. I'm flying to NYC this weekend to see them play!

Wild Colonial Bhoys

They are playing at:

The Parlour Friday Saturday and Sunday. I'm beyond stoked:

For any New York folks looking for some live Irish music this weekend:

250 West 86th Street

(b/w Broadway and West End Avenue)

New York, NY 10024-3104

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont mean to be insensitive but why?

The Pogues regret the late cancellation of tonight's show at Roseland, NYC. Shane MacGowan took an accidental tumble on a piece of stage equipment at the Boston Orpheum last Sunday (11) which required the band to slightly curtail their show. MacGowan's injury, though painful, did not at first seem more serious than that, but he has had pain and mobility problems ever since. As recently as 5pm this afternoon, The Pogues (minus Shane, as is their custom) completed a soundcheck at Roseland and, at that point, there was no prospect of cancellation. As the band were leaving Roseland to return to their hotel before the show, news arrived from Shane's doctor that the injury made his appearance tonight out of the question. We will update later with information about the remaining scheduled shows on the tour. Right now, there is nothing more to say except we wish Shane a safe and speedy recovery and hope we will be able to make good this disappointing development on another occasion.

The Pogues regret the late cancellation of tonight's show at Roseland, NYC. Shane MacGowan took an accidental tumble on a piece of stage equipment at the Boston Orpheum last Sunday (11) which required the band to slightly curtail their show. MacGowan's injury, though painful, did not at first seem more serious than that, but he has had pain and mobility problems ever since. As recently as 5pm this afternoon, The Pogues (minus Shane, as is their custom) completed a soundcheck at Roseland and, at that point, there was no prospect of cancellation. As the band were leaving Roseland to return to their hotel before the show, news arrived from Shane's doctor that the injury made his appearance tonight out of the question. We will update later with information about the remaining scheduled shows on the tour. Right now, there is nothing more to say except we wish Shane a safe and speedy recovery and hope we will be able to make good this disappointing development on another occasion.

oh man what a bummer

Oh, Drew, that's terrible news!

They are the absolute cheesiest, but I've probably had more fun at Saw Doctors shows than at any other shows, ever. Any other shows. Ever. Ever ever. Seriously.

:dancing

(The time I saw them at the Guinness Fleadh in San Jose, which was also the first time I ever saw Wilco, just might be the single most fun show I've ever seen. Oh my god, and Shane McGowan (and the Popes) played that show, too! :pirate )

They are the absolute cheesiest, but I've probably had more fun at Saw Doctors shows than at any other shows, ever. Any other shows. Ever. Ever ever. Seriously.

I actually clicked on a link to their wikipedia entry last week, and considered tracking down some of their music. Any recommendations?

(The time I saw them at the Guinness Fleadh in San Jose, which was also the first time I ever saw Wilco, just might be the single most fun show I've ever seen.)

I saw them at the Fleadh in Chicago one year, and they were a highlight of that day.

Wilco didn't play that one. :huh

I like these examples so far. :yes

I really like Colonial Bhoys vocals and Cathy Jordan reminds me a tad of a cross between someone like Natalie Mechant and Patty Griffin...but sweeter if possible. Nice. Thanks for sharing...

These guys are part Irish and part midwest... :) The Elders

I've yet to make a live show, but I hear they are lots of fun. Have their new album, Racing The Tide...Steve Phillips does vocals, mandolin, guitar...he was part of the The Rainmakers (out of Kansas City, believe they even had a few top 100 hits back in the 80s ??) if anyone is familiar with them.

I'm going to apologize to anyone who's been replying to that post, as I've been editing it mercilessly for the past few minutes. :monkey

Sing a Powerful Song is definitely the starter kit, it's the greatest hits from the first few albums. N17 and I Useta Love Her are the best poppy songs, required listening for road trips through Ireland (particularly the West of Ireland; to actually be driving on the N17 and shouting/singing along with the song is pure mindless-music happiness).

I'll add a band from Dublin a friend turned me on to a while back to the list: U2. If you get a chance, check these guys out.

Interesting. What more can you tell me about them? Any album recommendations?