Drinking Right Now

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question, a couple of months ago a former colleague and I were talking about beer and I mentioned that I liked Guinness. He mentioned to me a drink that is Guinness and some sort of cider. It is something like Irish cider or Scottish cider. Does anybody have any clue what he is talking about? I was really in the mood for a Guinness this weekend and was in the store trying to figure out what it was he said so I could try it. I have been on the internet and and seen drinks that were just Guinness and regular cider but waht he was talking about was some sort of alcoholic cider.

I have a question, a couple of months ago a former colleague and I were talking about beer and I mentioned that I liked Guinness. He mentioned to me a drink that is Guinness and some sort of cider. It is something like Irish cider or Scottish cider. Does anybody have any clue what he is talking about? I was really in the mood for a Guinness this weekend and was in the store trying to figure out what it was he said so I could try it. I have been on the internet and and seen drinks that were just Guinness and regular cider but waht he was talking about was some sort of alcoholic cider.

He was probably referring to the Snakebite which is a mixer made with Guinness...

SNAKEBITE!!

There's a drink called a Snakebite, which is lager and hard cider. Apparently (according to wikipedia), it has come to mean Guinness and cider to some people. You ought to be able to find Irish hard cider (Magners is one example) in larger liquor stores. I'm sure any kind of non-Woodchuck hard cider would work fine, though.

edit: looks like myboyblue beat me to it.

Half pumpkin pie spice coffee, half southern pecan coffee with sugar and milk. More, please.

He was probably referring to the Snakebite which is a mixer made with Guinness...

SNAKEBITE!!

There's a drink called a Snakebite, which is lager and hard cider. Apparently (according to wikipedia), it has come to mean Guinness and cider to some people. You ought to be able to find Irish hard cider (Magners is one example) in larger liquor stores. I'm sure any kind of non-Woodchuck hard cider would work fine, though.

edit: looks like myboyblue beat me to it.

Thanks guys, I had always known a "Snakebite" to be a mixture of Yukon Jack and lime juice. It was my drink of choice whilst I was in early high school.....errrr, I mean way after high school when I was of legal drinking age. Yeah yeah, that's what I meant :thumbup. Now that I am past the legal drinking age, I definitely plan on trying this over the Thanksgiving holiday.

I had a couple of these delicious rascals from New Belgium Brewing last night. Great, crisp taste and little aftertaste. Excellent beer:

mothership.jpg

And tried a couple of these from Boulder Brewing. Decent enough, but too heavy on the aftertaste and once it gets slightly warm, it tastes heavy/syrupy:

hazed.jpg

i love snakebites, but the proper mix is Harp and Cider.

that new belgium Mothership Wit is good...i got crocked off many pints of their winter seasonal (2 Below Ale) and the 1554 Brussels Style Black Ale on thanksgiving 'supervising' my bro-in-law frying the turkeys outside.

went through half a Sam adams Holiday pack cleaning up leaves in my yard today...Winter ale, Cranberry Lambic and Old Fezwig's.

ND: Sierra Mist Cranberry w/ tylenol chaser

sipping on some cheap shiraz at the moment

Nothing wrong with cheap wine, as long as it tastes good! I drink cheap wine on weekdays, and splurge on the weekends. And I stick to whites, mostly Chardonnays because that's what I like, and it's easier to get a good cheap white. For reds, my price point goes way up, so they are an occasional special purchase... last time we bought a case of really expensive reds that we were planning on "aging", we ended up drinking all but one bottle. It's in our basement "wine cellar" (this is just a room in our old unfinished basement, nothing fancy, but it stays at temp) and we're really going to save this one, really...

Anheuser-Busch ruined a lot of lives in Latrobe, Pa. fuck 'em.

Hardly.... Some greedy capitalist types who SOLD to A-B ruined a lot of lives in Latrobe.

Same thing happened with LaCrosse, WI and Miller Beer's acquisition of Old Style from Heileman's and the move of Old Style across the State to Milwaukee (where the rest of Miller's piss is made).

Latrobe needs to fight back, like LaCrosse did.

lacrosseLager.jpg

lacrosseLight.jpg

Same recipes and same brewmasters as the original Old Style, in the same brewery....

I never particularly care for Old Style, and I pretty much stopped drinking altogether for health reasons, but many of my Chicago friends do love the Old Style.

Each time to go to LaCrosse (which is where my Mom's side of the family is from, and many of them still live) I bring back multiple cases to give out as gifts.

So now there are handfuls of Chicagoans hooked on the real deal, and a small number of stores in Chicago who carry LaCrosse.

166px-The_Macallan_12_year_bottle.jpg

I wish I had never tasted this, because I can't afford it. I think it is Sweetwater IPA that makes the statement on the bottle "This is the beer you have been practicing for." Well, this is the "beer" I have been practicing for. Pure goodness.