from billboard.com:

Wilco drummer Glenn Kotche has completed "Anomaly," a 23-minute piece for the Kronos Quartet that will premiere in New York in October. The seven-movement composition came to life when Kronos member David Harrington approached Kotche after the 2006 release of the latter's latest solo album, "Mobile."

"I really dug in and spent a lot of time, because I've never written outside of percussion before," Kotche tells Billboard.com. "That was basically my November through the end of January."

"It's very percussive," Kotche says with a laugh when asked to describe the sound of the piece. "I'm not toning it down. I'm playing a multiple-percussion kit. It's really rhythmic; there's a lot of energy. Some parts are beautiful; things I couldn't play on drums. That's the way I treated the whole thing: four players in the quartet. I have each player to act like a limb to explore rhythmic ideas. If I could have a violin be my right hand and a cello be my left foot, what would it sound like?"

The Kronos Quartet's most recent release, "Gorecki's String Quartet No. 3," came out last week via Nonesuch. Kotche, of course, is about to begin touring in support of Wilco's new album, "Sky Blue Sky," due May 15.

In addition, Kotche has begun recording a new album with his duo, On Fillmore.

What information do you have about them playing Glenn's piece in San Francisco in October?

From an interview in SFGate.com last month:

Kotche has spent the past five or six months listening to classical music because he's been working on a commission for San Francisco's Kronos Quartet, which will premiere this fall

I believe it'll be part of the SF Jazz Fest.

i wonder if somebody will tape it, or if it will be released on a disc?

that's so cool!

i need to tell my theory teacher that some rock musicians still do "classical" stuff...

I would imagine it will be released some how, someway officially. There are plenty of labels who would like to put something like this out.

Hey remember Liverpool Oratorio by Paul McCartney :yucky or the Juliette Letters by Elvis Costello... :yawn

LouieB

I cannot wait to hear this piece. Hooray for Glenn! :thumbup I also can't wait to hear the new On Fillmore record. I am trying to remember what he said the theme will be on this record...I just woke up...and my head is still powering up :yawn ...I think he said it was imaginary places.

• 3 months later...