I don't think it's a stupid rule at all - basically it amounts to a bribe, if you want to look at it that way - but as I understand it, as soon as they figured out it wasn't allowed, the Twins asked the Royals to send the Dom back, and they complied. We'll see how baseball feels about that.

I'm not sure I understand how it would be a bribe. It's more of a bonus as far as I can tell. It may be a bribe if he was rewarding them for losing, but they should be trying to win every game anyway.

Although it just occured to me that this rule could be in place to prevent any sort of alternate explanations for paying gambling debts. In which case it all fits right into place with other MLB policies.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although it just occured to me that this rule could be in place to prevent any sort of alternate explanations for paying gambling debts. In which case it all fits right into place with other MLB policies.

That was my next thought.

edit: as for it being a bribe - if his offer persuaded one of the Royals' better players from sitting out the final, meaningless (for them) series (which I'm sure it didn't), and it affected the outcome of the season (which it did - it didn't matter for the Royals, but there were playoff implications for the Tigers and the Twins), then it could be construed as a bribe. Granted, the Royals are supposed to play their hardest in every game, but we all know it doesn't happen that way...

Prior has been on the DL every year of his short MLB career. As much as I don't like to see guys going out too soon, it looks like he's pretty much done. From the demotion to the perpetual arm problems....

Mets tie it last night in the bottom of the 10th on a pinch hit solo shot with 2 strikes on pinch hitter Damion Easley. Wow. Then, they win it in the 12th with two outs on a drag bunt single by Chavez scoring a runner from third. I actually don't think it was a squeeze. Wow.

You are correct. I :wub Endy Chavez.

That was my next thought.

edit: as for it being a bribe - if his offer persuaded one of the Royals' better players from sitting out the final, meaningless (for them) series (which I'm sure it didn't), and it affected the outcome of the season (which it did - it didn't matter for the Royals, but there were playoff implications for the Tigers and the Twins), then it could be construed as a bribe. Granted, the Royals are supposed to play their hardest in every game, but we all know it doesn't happen that way...

For some reason, in baseball teams seem to enjoy being the spoiler a lot more, and don't tank games late in the year the way they do in other sports, but yeah, I guess that that can't really be assumed to happen all the time though so the rule may be necessary.

I wonder how this rule would be applied, though, if Hunter had said that he was giving them gifts just because they're his friends, rather than saying outright that it was a reward for sweeping that series.

Prior has been on the DL every year of his short MLB career. As much as I don't like to see guys going out too soon, it looks like he's pretty much done. From the demotion to the perpetual arm problems....

I heard that he's never had surgery during his career (until now) despite 9 injury list stints! Maybe the docs were being too conservative then and he'll be fine now, but I doubt it.

The Ozzie Guillen dugout dice were rolling today. Thome and Dye are out with minor injuries and if/when the game starts Brian Anderson will be batting ninth as the designated hitter. He's yet to do anything at the plate in the big leagues, but he's the best defensive outfielder in the organization. Yes, the guy who made the team for his defense is DHing. While the crusty Darin Erstad and the frightening (in the field) Pablo Ozuna man center and left.

Amazing come from behind win for the good guys tonight.

Scott Olsen gave up 3 homers to the first 7 batters he faced, and things looked grim.Hudson was lights out and set his career high in strikeouts through 8 innings, then gave up 3 straight singles in the 9th. Olsen, meanwhile, struck out 10 of the next 25 batters he faced and got through 8 innings with only the three runs. Olivo doubles and drives in two, and all of a sudden, we've got a ball game. And then Alfredo Amezaga hits an infield single to score the tying run. Then Wickman throws a wild pitch and Olivo scores the game winner.

So I rushed home from work so I could catch the Sox/Tigers. I guess it was delayed a bit anyway due to rain, but I initially was confused as I turned to ESPN, which the digital cable told me was showing the game, only to see the Nationals and Phillies play. A bit later I realized there was a local broadcast, and that's why ESPN was showing a different game.

Anyway, it got me thinking...Joe Morgan or Hawk Harrelson? Both are horrible, but who is worse? I really despise them both, although if it came down to it, I guess I'd rather have to listen to Joe Morgan. He is willfully and proudly ignorant, but still not as irritating as the Hawk. At least Morgan doesn't have something scripted for every conceivable play. Plus, Jon Miller is way better than Darrin Jackson.

One major difference between the two is that Harrelson seems to talk up his playing days whereas Morgan talks them down to the point of being annoying. Or at least he talks down his own ability for the sake of making a stupid point. He frequently talks about the Big Red Machine as if no team could ever come close to being as good (or even have a player as good as anyone on that team other than himself). But when he starts talking about stats, the sabermetrics guys, etc., he frequently talks about how, if those things were weighed so heavily in his day, that he wouldn't have been given a chance -- despite the fact that his numbers, across the board, are among the best ever for secondbasemen.

But when he starts talking about stats, the sabermetrics guys, etc., he frequently talks about how, if those things were weighed so heavily in his day, that he wouldn't have been given a chance -- despite the fact that his numbers, across the board, are among the best ever for secondbasemen.

Bill James makes a solid case for Morgan, and puts him ahead of (among all other 2nd basemen) both Eddie Collins and Rogers Hornsby as the best to ever play the game.

I love the Abstract.

I can tell you from experience that it won't be easy to come by on YouTube- I spent a ridiculous amount of time watching stealing home clips there a week ago - most of them are Japanese league stuff.

Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling's reputation was the target of an attempted hit from, of all places, the Orioles' television broadcasting booth. Gary Thorne, who does play-by-play of Orioles games on the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (MASN) and has a solid national reputation, having done lots of work for ESPN, brought up the saga of Schilling's bloody sock during last night's telecast, according to the BOSTON GLOBE.

Thorne said on the air, while the Orioles were batting in the fifth, that he'd been told by Sox catcher Doug Mirabelli that was not blood, but paint, on the sock Schilling wore during Game 6 of the 2004 American League Championship Series against the Yankees. It was done for the public relations effect, Thorne said.

"The great story we were talking about the other night was that famous red stocking that he wore when they finally won, the blood on his stocking," Thorne said to broadcast partner Jim Palmer, the Hall of Fame pitcher, in a conversation that had begun with a discussion of Schilling's blog.

"Nah," Thorne said. "It was painted. Doug Mirabelli confessed up to it after. It was all for PR. Two-ball, two-strike count."

Palmer: "Yeah, that was the 2004 World Series [sic]." Thorne: "Yeah."

During a break two innings later, Thorne confirmed that's what he said, and that Mirabelli had told him so in a conversation "a couple of years ago."

"Go ask him [Mirabelli]," Thorne said.

Mirabelli was shocked, then angry, when relayed Thorne's comments.

"What? Are you kidding me? He's [expletive] lying. A straight lie," Mirabelli said. "I never said that. I know it was blood. Everybody knows it was blood."

A crock-o-shit from Thorne. I watched the game/listened to the broadcat and both he and Palmer were loaded with inaccuracies the entire broadcast. It sounded as if he'd heard it 2nd,-3rd-party or something. Dan Patrick was trying to get him (Thorne) on his show today but couldn't reach him.

Unfounded and ridiculous rumor. Even if true, who cares.

Theo's reaction when asked about it by the press:

"You're kidding me, right? I'm the GM of the team, not Jerry Springer. I couldn't give two [expletives] about what was on his sock, I care that we won the game. The rest, and Gary Thorne, is just noise."